1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queers & Careers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tasha28, Dec 22, 2013.

1. tasha28

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey,

I am without a job, making a career switch... growing more and more desperate everyday.

Discovering my own sexual identity and coming out isn't easy, but now I'm realizing that I am going to have to re-evaluate and think secondly about jobs that I would have applied to before, because not everyone will be so accepting.

I feel like I have a huge sign overhead that reads "LESBIAN" to everyone I meet. And now I'm scared of being scoffed at and rejected.

I'm just a person! For the love of god. I didn't ask to be a human, I would take it back if I could.

Anyway, I was wondering about others' experiences with jobs and careers?

2. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hate working. I hate people telling me to do X Y Z. I'm like fuck you. Do it yourself you moron.

Oh I don't care if I become poor and homeless. So there. HA!

To answer your question basically career advice is a load of bullocks if you don't know the right people...seriously.

3. apostrophied

What kind of career were you planning on switching to?

4. tasha28

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    haha! I feel the same way I'd rather work for myself or just play all day.

And @apostrophied, I don't know. That's the problem. I thought I would do journalism/editing, which doesn't seem so bad... but I'd like to just travel and teach yoga. Right now I just need a job, but the thought of working at target and wearing that uniform makes me want to tear my hair out.

There's too many things i'm interested in. I don't want to be labeled.

5. well, in journalism LOTS of people are out - ever hear of Rachel Maddow? there are more but she is pretty big! AND you don't have to be out or obvious. Editing is internal - in most offices unless you are in a small town people are not going to care.

Travel? just take care when in homophobic areas

Yoga, most open minded one of all

6. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Gurrl your speaking ma language which happens to be Urdu/Punjabi. Anyway good luck with finding a job and figuring out what you want to do with the next 50 years of your life. I'm gonna go do some online shopping...for myself of course.

7. Hexagon

Being human sucks, huh?

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My career is a little bit difficult to bring out my real self in... But I love what I do, so I'm stuck not coming out in that regard.

9. WindSong

WindSong Guest

Hey Tasha28, some of my friends who have been in the career-transition phase have done things like Teach For America, where you teach at a public school in one of the many states in the U.S. where Teach For America is supported. It's a two-year experience as an instructor that allows one to consider a permanent job in education, which has some flexibility in allowing one to incorporate various personal interests into their work, or to build a stronger portfolio/experience-bank to explore other fields.
    Other classmates from a few years ago have also entered graduate/PhD programs where okay if you don't know what to do next, you can study more on what you are interested in. Some of these programs even pay you to study. The pay is low enough to serve as an incentive to delve deeper in your studies and come up with something original. Notwithstanding, PhD programs always pay you to study--I'm not so sure about some other types of graduate programs, though some give loans for sure, like MD programs, for instance.
    On another note, I've felt comfortable as a lesbian in the company of people in some science fields (mostly biology, biochemistry or anthropology), women studies programs, and literary professions. There are sure to be other fields that are very welcoming to the LGBT community, but I am just speaking from my personal experience.

Best wishes! :slight_smile:

10. AKTodd

If you check on the website of the Human Rights Campaign, I believe they maintain a list of the most gay friendly companies. I've worked for three Fortune 500 companies now and two of them (including the one I work for now) provided domestic partner benefits. I've been out at all three of them, very much so at the last two (as in my boss and coworkers met my partner, I routinely talk(ed) about him, and he is/was invited to both company and co-worker arranged social events).

A lot of corporate America simply doesn't care or will be actively supportive.

Hope this helps,

Todd

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OP, I would say that the occupations with the largest GLBT percentages are usually more accepting of GLBT folks, and that's the reason why the percentages are high. We could all come up with a list of what these occupations might be, and we could probably assemble a pretty good list, but consider what you like or are looking into, and if it's generally accepting. At any rate, some occupations have moved from the no go list to the ok list over the last few decades. The fact that you are entertaining this concept means it's important to you. It is important.

12. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In England, it's illegal to discriminate against someone for their sexuality in a job or job interview. Would be hard to prove though, unless you were really obviously more qualified. All I can think of is go for something arty/media, as arty types tend to be more open-minded, or in a city, as there is usually a gay scene.

Also, I don't know where you live so could be wrong here, but people are probably more accepting than you think. I anticipated lots of negativity would come from me coming out but so far everyone has been amazing. It could be that like mine, your expected rejection is coming from your own inner difficulties.

13. vamonos

I don't think it matters. Your sexual orientation doesn't go on your resume or job application. Nobody talks about sex in a job interview.

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, they don't. But there's a grapevine in the workplace after a person is hired. Most people here are not fully out, though some are. At any rate, it seems that the workplace is the place where people are the least out, because a friend who walks out on you doesn't give you your paycheck.

OP, you are real young. It matters less now. You are probably overly self-conscious and have not told us why you think there is this sign hanging over you. We also don't know if you live in a big liberal city or a small rural area. That would make a difference, too.