1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proud to be gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JackAttack, Dec 22, 2013.

1. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I wish I could say that I was proud of being gay but I just cant. I hear about people who are proud to be who they are but why should people have to be proud of something that is natural to them?

Are there people on here who are proud of being gay? If so, does it make you feel better or more confident about your sexuality?

2. LD579

I'm not necessarily proud of the fact that I'm gay anymore than I am that I have brown eyes. I am proud of having come to terms with it all and facing adversity at times, though, and coming through the other end of it all as a more empathetic person, and perhaps that's what others are proud of, as well.

3. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am proud because it makes me feel better about myself. I know as long as I remain proud of my self than no one can ever bring down or make me feel like I'm inferior to anyone else nor will I ever let anyone even attempt to bring me down.

4. leer

am dame proud to be gay its who I am .

5. ^^^^^This but mine are hazel

I agree, how can I be "proud" of something I had zero control over?

yep, proud of what I have done with it, and what I have done with my life, and really this is what "Gay Pride" is all about, fighting heteronormative society and making them face the fact that who we are is perfectly acceptable.

it is what my objections are when anyone wants a straight pride parade

when someone gets thrown out of their home for coming out straight - you get your parade
    when someone is killed and dragged behind a truck for being straight you get to have a parade

our pride is standing up to these things

6. thekillingmoon

I wouldn't use the word "proud". I'm proud of my achievements. My sexuality is not an achievement, it's just how I am. I suppose it's a response to those who view it as something negative, in that sense it shouldn't be something to be ashamed of.

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. I like myself. I'm proud of that.

8. C P

C P

Seems like everything but. In other words, atm, not really.

9. sparkly glasses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd go with what others have said. That I'm gay is just who I am rather than anything I've done so I don't think of it in itself as something I can be proud of. But there are feelings of pride linked to it. I'm proud that I'm now honest about who I am and that I think I've become a better person over the last year while I've been struggling to achieve that.

10. AKTodd

I tend to interpret 'Pride' as the opposite of being ashamed. So while it's true that being gay is just a part of me and not something I worked to achieve, I refuse to be ashamed of it or let others try to make me be ashamed of it. So in that sense I am proud.

Todd

11. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Why be proud of something you have no control over? ;/

I think your talking about self-acceptance.

12. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Totally get what you mean here, but think about other things people are proud of:
    1) Their country. Another thing we didn't choose.
    2) Other people's achievements. Okay, so if it's your kids it makes sense, but what about if it's your parents or friends or sibling or partner?
    3) Our talents. Something else we were born with.

So I think you can have pride without responsibility, although if you have actually achieved something pride makes more sense.

I'm proud of being bi. I wasn't at first. But then I thought, actually, it's pretty cool to be bi, because I'm not limited to falling in love with someone of a particular gender. And now I'm finally out I do have a sense that, "YEAH! I'm bi and it's awesome!"

If you want to be proud, I say try shifting your perception of what it means to be gay and thinking about the good things about it and the gay role models you have got something in common with. I think one thing we have straight people don't is the experience of looking within ourselves and figuring ourselves out - they never had to explore that (in terms of sexuality anyway) and may not have looked as closely at themselves. Just a theory that comes from my thinking I was straight until fairly recently.

13. Fellow

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldn't say I am proud to be gay, but at some point along the way, I had to finally come out to someone, and since then, I am proud to be me, not just the gay part, but on the whole. Being able to come out makes you grow up a bit, obviously that won't happen over night. To sum it up, me being able to come out made me see the world different and that is visible in all the other aspects of my life.
    So this is what "proud to be gay" means to me, an improvement and acceptance of your all self.

14. Aldrick

I am quoting both of you because it sums up my feelings 100%. I'm not proud of being gay, because I didn't choose to be gay. I'm proud of what I've overcome as a result of being gay. It's not being gay who has made me into who I am, it's the struggles I've faced as a result of it.

15. RisingSun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. Seems so denigrating towards heterosexuals to be honest. And then there's the fact that pride is one of the 7 deadly sins so I prefer to avoid the wrath of God and all that stuff.

16. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    2.It works because those people are all associated with you.
    3. How could you be born with something that you have to develop?!

Nah, I'm not proud.
    I've just accepted that I am who I am, and that it's my responsibility to deal with it.

#16 An Gentleman, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  17. Littlehawk98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm proud. But I'm not so comfortable with it yet that I can make a lot of jokes. But I am getting better about that.

18. juliegt6

I'm proud of my mom accepting me as female, and being at my side throughout transition. I'm so proud that she was at my side throughout ffs recovery, getting past her squeamishness of blood while cleaning my sutures and such.

I'm not really proud of my status as it's just an identifier. I'm a transwoman and I like women.