1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When do you think Gay Marriage will be legal?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Seanathan, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Seanathan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When do you think Gay Marriage will be legal across the United States?

Were you surprised Utah, of all states, proclaimed it's ban on same sex marriage was unconstitutional? I think it's so cool, and not just because I'm gay, to be witnessing the civil rights movement of our century. ANYWAY, what do y'all think?

2. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Within five years. Last hold outs to be Louisiana, Alabama, Florida and Texas.

3. Foxface

Optimistic but possibly very real. I concur with this IF the left wins the chambers and gets Hillary or likewise in

Foxface

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Florida and Texas are questionable now. I've heard good things are on their way to Texas soon, so we'll see. I hope to see equality in Pennsylvania next year since there's a rumor going around about the bill trying to be changed in June.

5. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    5 years? 5 years seems about right.
    LGB rights sure are moving fast.

6. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say around 10 years.

7. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I think is going to happen is that the Court will rule that states are free to give marriage licenses to whoever they want, but that marriages valid in one state are valid in all states due to equal protection. So if a same-sex couple in Texas couldn't get a license in Texas if Texas didn't want to give them one, but they could go to California, get married, and have their marriage license be valid in Texas. I'd expect this within the next 5 years.

8. The username

Wait... wut?
    I didn't realize Utah legalized marriage. Thank EC keeping me up to date.

I was thinking it would still come down to the courts especially because of the states GeeLee mentioned plus Mississippi. When that happens...

9. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That sounds about right. The way things are going, it's not going to be long at all. Most people already think gay marriage is bees knees. We just need to convince the old guard that they have already lost this one.

10. Techno Kid

I think in about 10 years all 50 states will have equal marriage. Maybe there will have to be a federal order for the remaining few though. Also I don't think Texas will be a hold out like some believe (their demographics are changing).

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I give it about 2 years

12. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It'd be hilarious to watch the evangelical right fight against that. They'll paint it like it's Left Behind made real

13. AlamoCity

This has been my belief all along, kinda like sneaking marriage equality without actually making the states have to officiate same-sex marriages, but giving Full Faith and Credit to the acts and marriages licenses of the states.

When the Supreme Court of the United States accepts a case that deals with the constitutionality of Section 2 of DOMA, I bet the days of marriage inequality are over, literally. Once you strip Section 2 of DOMA, the Full Faith and Credit Clause kicks in without reservations because it takes away the only law that prevents the Clause from forcing states to universally accept any marriage effectuated in any state of the union . That's because the Full Faith and Credit Clause states

(emphasis mine)

Section 2 of DOMA is that manner which Congress prescribes how such acts and records are given validity and effect among the states. Without it, there's no restriction. (!)(!)(!)

14. PurpleGrey

Um, when people realize that "legal marriage" is the wrong term and that all marriage is civil union, legally. Unless what folks mean is same-sex marriage in a church, in which case, any government/legal meddling is unconstitutional. It also goes against the bill of rights: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." Okay, so I don't know about state government, but in all logical reason, this rule should apply. So, I'd say...no more than five years; two if we're lucky.

15. AlamoCity

I think historically many jurisdictions still refer to matrimony as something "holy." In the county where I live, a marriage license calls it "Holy Union of Matrimony" and it's a completely secular government but the relationship between marriage and religion is still strong, even if only through language. However, I feel it's somewhat quaint; with no-fault divorces being legal in all 50 states, the "sanctity of marriage" isn't particularly respected under law. I attached a copy of a current marriage license.

Attached Files:

16. AlamoCity

Also, I think same-sex marriage will be legal in all 50 states in maybe 5 years. I'd really like to be wed in Texas like my ancestors have done so for over 125 years.

17. Seanathan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not only betting that marriage equality will be across the land within 5 years, I think half of the states will have legalized within the next 2 years. I think you're going to see Oregon, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Michigan, or maybe even Colorado legalize gay marriage next year. That's going to bump up the number to 23 states with gay marriage. Then your going to have states we didn't see coming, like Virginia, Legalize it. Virginia and another state will bump the number up to 25. When everyone hears that half of the United States is for marriage equality in legal terms, it will prove to the Supreme Court the American public is indeed ready for Same-Sex marriage at that they aren't causing the sky to fall.

In the years after that, we may see a couple more states rush to get marriage equality before SCOTUS rules, and I think in that finaly ruling the supreme court will say it is an American Constitutional Right to Marry, and that the definition of marriage will be the union of two people, not a man and a woman.

18. I have been hearing the 5 years for a while, first heard it when California came in

and really it will happen when people realize fully that it is

MARRIAGE - not gay marriage, nothing special about it.

I am a lesbian yes

but

I don't have gay lunch, I don't gay ride my bike, gay watch TV :thumbsup::thumbsup:

whatever I do it is just what I do, people need to realize that what we do is not so freaking bizarre :dry:

19. Data

Data Guest

I think in about 10 years, we'll have gay marriage legalized in MOST if not all 50 states. Perhaps 2 or 3 states will be left in 10 years.

When I think, "Hmmm, when do I think we could get it done?" I say it could be done in 5 years. Then I double that because society likes to drag its feet.

20. timo

It's been only 12 years since my country legalized same sex marriage as the first in the world... and look where we are now. I think, within the next 12 years, a LOT of other countries and US states will have legalized it.