1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm sorry, when did EC turn into Dbag central?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by chercheur, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not naming any names, and this'll probably get deleted, but yeahh, has anyone else noticed the new wave of asshole-ish comments and severe sexism on this site? Like before it alwaus had a very very miild slant for gay males, but all in all I thought it was pretty even and the user diversity made up for it and I NEVER read anything hateful on this site, but now it's like every time I turn around there is someone saying something misogynistic or transphobic and thinking their own LGBT status gives them a pass.

There are some users in particular...again, no naming names but you prolly know who you are..

Its about enough to make me leave this site and never come back...like, I'm sorry, don't we have to hear enough ignorant shit elsewhere withoyt it infecting our little outlets? Like seriously even if you feel a certain way, if it could be offensive then just keep it to yourself..

Anyone else notice this?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do people deal with life's problems? Not complain and quit; fix them and move on. I can see wanting to make a public statement like this, but why not report problem comments as they appear? That's been the way forums have worked for at least a decade. And barring official reports and infractions, couldn't you just discuss it with the person? Maybe you'll change a mind or two instead of leave a bad taste in people's mouths.

Note that I'm not disagreeing with you-- just your methods. :wink:

3. Ruthven

Yes. Like there's the transphobic sort of comment just every so often. Not too much, it's sorta rare, but still... It sucks to hear it on a place like this. But I'm working on not caring about ignorant/mean stuff in general lately and not letting it get to me, so yeah...

4. BreannaToBrian

Huh, I've been away for a bit so I haven't noticed those comments, but I'll be alert for things like that. Gah I hope EC doesn't turn into one of THOSE websites. I trust it won't but if you're seeing comments like that and others have too then something would need to be done. I haven't run into comments like that but I'll certainly be on the look out. That crap shouldn't be tolerated here. :dry:

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Self loathing people bring each other down. Don't get caught up in it.

6. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    RSwordman,

I've given up trying to fix or change people. It doesn't work and it leaves me drained.

I deal with soo much shit in my life, like you wouldn't believe, all on a daily basis and I think thats a lot of people, right? So they come here to detox...and the whole point of detoxing is NOT having to deal with the shit cuz hmm kinda defeats the purpose, right?

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm relatively new here, and have noted some pretty crazy posts, but I try to ignore them, and not let them upset me too much.

I think it's best to just call them out on a case by case basis, as they happen, if one feels sufficiently moved to do so. It's sad to see what seems like an increasing ammount of schisms opening up in the LGBT (or call it what you will) community, yet it's hard to think of any easy 'fixes'.

But it odd, I agree, to come here seeking refuge and support from the daily BS that happens, only to have more added at times...seems to be the nature of the internet, to a certain degree, not that this makes it easier.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I have noticed this for a long time. I've been intensely critical of the bisexual, trans* hatred, femme hatred, and general sexism I have run across on EC. It's always been a problem. But I don't think it's really EC's problem. (Although I used to.) I think it's a queer community problem. We're not all one big happy family. I used to like to think so, and I wish we were, but we're not. Sometimes gay and lesbian folks don't really understand multisexual experience and say some pretty problematic things. Same goes for some cisgender folks. As a bi-identifying person, I know I have said some problematic things to pansexual folks. I have also noticed a lot of sexual racism on EC, but again, that's not EC, that's queer folks.

I would recommend bringing things that are bothering you to the attention of moderators and administrators. They do the job of making sure that this community stays true to the Code of Conduct. I know that the moderators actually take action, because they recently suspended a member, I would like to think, in part because I brought him to their attention.

9. Techno Kid

I've noticed this too, maybe I should start to bring these posts to the mods attentions.

10. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

I'm honestly not seeing all this haterism. Then again, maybe that just says more about the type of online community I am used to (Dbag Central Ultra) than it does about the new EC. I am pretty thick-skinned (except when I'm depressed).

11. Tzoa

I'm pretty new here, and didn't notice it at first. During my first couple weeks here I thought EC was the magical place on the internet where "Dbags" didn't exist. I've since seen several posts that left me angry and feeling very unsettled. Report them, and move on. There are a lot of really great people on EC. When you run into someone who makes you feel like crap, go talk to someone you like.

12. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just got really scared that I had at one point posted something like you described without realizing it. I just actually looked through all my posts to make sure that I didnt and thankfully I didnt see anything

But if I ever do say something like that in the future, please call me out on it

13. jargon

Hmm I haven't been around much lately, but I've noticed occasional bad eggs on here about as long as I've been using this site. I don't notice much change on that front.

Maybe you were just lucky enough not to bump into them for a while. :shrug:

14. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't notice it, maybe I'm blind to it seeing as I'm surrounded by dbags IRL on campus.

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Really? Because one of the first things I noticed was the rampant vagina-phobia in posts, which, with the exception of a few transmen and lesbians, went mostly unchallenged. It's important to remember that we're all individuals with our own biases and prejudices, and definitely not immune to the influences around us. Instead of avoiding the issue(s) altogether, I'd rather have you stay and fight against them by bringing awareness to areas the larger LGB community might not be aware of, because when you're clueless what someone is going through, you'll also be clueless how you're coming across and affecting them.

16. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okayy, I'm about to rant.

I guess to me sometimes it feels like certain LGBT people have all the same prejudices and bigotry as the mainstream but just grandfather in acceptance for whatever THEY are, and still treat other people like shit. And its not just this site, its everywhere, I deal with this shit in rl LGBT groups too and it makes me so fucking angry, I can't even describe it, my blood just boils.

I'm tired of how ever since i came out as trans all these people in this stupid fucking community made me feel like I was weird or beneath them, and you know what?? I was actually dumb enough to believe a lot of them. I was actually dumb enough to be jealous of gay guys for just being gay and being cis and what I saw as real and normal and authentic, and i thought they were better than me, and there was soo much hatred and resenment toward them for not struggling with the issues I've struggled with, and I wanted to not struggle with gender issues soo so badly.

And then I come on here and I see it and now I'm at like my absolute breaking point. This is community?? Fucking NO, its not. This shits not even fucking worth it and I'm sick of letting it bring me down. This is is worse than what mainstream people do cuz it comes from people im supposed to trust.

And like all of a sudden gay is normal. Everybody in my life has told me "just be gay, that's normal" and you know what I can't just be gay, I've tried and it almost killed me and I'm sick and tired of hearing people who know what its like to be told to be something they're not tell me I have to be, or tell me that I'll never be enough if I be who I am.

I'm sick of all of it actually and you know what? I'm already passing again, and in a year from now all society will see when they look at me will be a pretty straight girl. Can gay people say that? Nope. Maybe that superiority complex is just jealousy, I dunno and I don't care. All I know is that I feel reaally betrayed.

17. Aldrick

I'm going to echo what Pret Allez wrote. I have noticed some stuff, but I don't think it's anymore than has always existed. It's just that the community has gotten larger, and as a result the number of the people acting offensive has also grown even as the proportion has remained the same. Whenever you see something offensive you should alert it so that it can be reviewed and the mods can delete it and take disciplinary action if necessary.

Something I try to keep in mind is that the vast majority of us find ourselves coming to this community from rather closed-minded backgrounds. We were raised a certain way, in a culture that looks upon us ALL negatively. It's a culture that mandates that we conform to gender and sexual norms, and despises those that do not.

As a result, a lot of people show up with baggage they need to ditch. I try to remind myself when someone says something offensive to a large portion of the community at least 40% of it is coming from ignorance, 60% of it is coming from self-hate and shame, and 100% of it belongs to them. We can try and cure the ignorance, but the other 60% is going to take time and it's shit they've got to sort out for themselves.

I try to find the empathy and compassion within myself as I know where I came from in the past. I've changed, grown, and matured a lot after coming to terms with being gay. I have to hold out hope that others will eventually do the same.

18. Gen

Gen

The EC community has been growing substantially in the last two years, especially 2013. While it is positive that the site is reaching more and more people, one side effect is that the amount of ignorant members we have at any one time will also growth. Now,I don't use ignorant in the sense of an insult. We were all ignorant of many of the numerous topics in the LGBTQ community and sites such as these can be the first times many individuals are exposed to such a variety of individuals and social constructs.

If you hear ignorant comments, consider the possibility that they might not have seemed intentionally judgmental or offense by the poster. If they seem to be misguided or confused about a subject, then make an attempt to respond to them in hopes of educated them on the topic; though keep in mind that the more critical and aggressive we are in our responses the less receptive others will plausibly be to them.

With posts that come across as exceedingly hateful or malicious, report them and bring them to staff attention.

19. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same here. This is one of the friendlier places on the internet- I think the supposed hate is being blown out of proportion.
    When you have a shitload of stigmatized conditions (some controllable, like weight and how much I pass, and others not so much, like autism)... you tend to get made fun of.
    I'm just glad that I'm in America, where everyone has (or, at least, should have) equal opportunity for success as long as they try.
    Still, someone like me has to develop a thick skin, or live as a mopey idiot who blames everyone else for their problems. (Emo Teen trope, anyone?)
    Don't you mean trans women? That would make more sense.

#19 An Gentleman, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  20. Ruthven

Well some of us trans guys have vs/some don't and have apparently challenged the vagina-phobia alongside lesbians...makes sense to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.