1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexism in men

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Techno Kid, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Techno Kid

How common would you say sexism in men is?

2. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Men and women, on average, have equal prevalence of sexism.
    About as much as women.

3. pansy

Sexism is a cultural phenomena that nearly everyone has been guilty of. It's a social institution that we're all subject to. I don't know how you would quantify that.

4. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sexism as in ingrained sexism or culturally instilled sexism? I would say that the people who are sexist just because they are and not because they've been "trained" that way by society aren't a massive number, but you never know

5. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have no idea...it is very hard to think of a number. I did a google search and it vomited back all sorts of rubbish.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Almost all men, if not all, but in varying degrees. It's hard to be truly non-sexist when you exist in a sexist society that benefits you. For a lot of men, however, it's just little thoughts that go against your conscience that just pop up for apparently no reason; stuff that's been embedded in your mind since you first started picking up on social cues and language.

The same goes for women, but on a lesser scale, and full-blown misogyny in women is rare, while it's very common in men. Women often show some pretty anti-feminist sentiments at times, even when their whole set of beliefs seem to contradict the occasional sexist action/thought/idea.

There's no denying it; most people are sexist. But a lot of people are able to control those pervasive little thoughts and recognise them as the result of years of sexist social-conditioning. It's nobody's fault that they've been exposed to sexism and have picked it up like any other social cue, but it is somebody's fault when they keep behaving in that way after being made aware of sexism.

7. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Some women are like I DON'T WANNA MARRY A GUY WHO EARNS LESS THAN ME.

8. pansy

haha yeah then some guys be like "Women earn less than men in comparable positions on average because men work harder and have bigger brains and have to solely provide for their families"

9. Sitri

In my experience, it's more common in men than in women, like racism is more common in white people than black. That's is where it historically laid so it makes sense to be higher in men. Interestingly, whenever a guy calls a woman sexist, I usually find that the guy is misogynistic.

10. Sarcastic Luck

Both sexes are sexist and for several things, men are at a disadvantage. I have a friend that was attacked by his girlfriend, I think it was, and when he filed a report, he was laughed at. Several of his female co-workers made fun of him.

Then there's the issue of when it comes to divorces the woman almost always getting full custody of the child(ren). The only reason my step-dad got full custody of his daughter was because his wife had a tendency of going on two week long drinking binges. Probably still does.

I don't see why everything needs to be turned into a competition to show how x has it worse than y.

11. wow gee this is rubbish? or does it just hurt?

Everyday sexism: Tell it like it is
    Everyday sexism - wewomen

Couric: Sexism more common than racism
    Couric: Sexism more common than racism - - POLITICO.com

How Women are portrayed in society and how sexism plays a role
    How Women are portrayed in society and how sexism plays a role - WriteWork

Yolo Akili explores how gay men’s sexism and male privilege shows up in relationship to women.
    Gay Men’s Sexism and Women’s Bodies

I did not even scroll down that far

12. pansy

(hint: that's exactly what you're doing)

Sexism doesn't always benefit men but it's always rooted in misogyny. Misogyny hurts men for the exact reasons you stated, because the idea that women are less capable leads reports of domestic violence perpetrated by women to be ignored, and the idea that women are the only nurturers because they are "designed to be mothers" to continuously win custody, sometimes when it's inappropriate. It's not a competition when people talk about sexism- the expression of sexism by men, how it differs from the expression of sexism by women, how men benefit from it on greater social levels, how it serves to oppress and punish people who don't fit their assigned gender roles, like most of us in the LGBT community- it's real talk.

#12 pansy, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  13. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What? No idea what your talking about hahahahahahahaha.

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But that's not sexism against men. The idea that a woman is too weak to beat up a man is what makes male victims of domestic abuse trivialised. The idea that women are the natural nurturers and exist for the purpose of rearing children is against women. There aren't two opposing sides within sexism; the problems affect everyone, but the problem lies within a hatred of femininity.

That said, MRAs who complain about how women get children after divorce a lot often don't even bother hiding the fact that the child is intended to be leverage against their ex-wives. MRAs are toxic, but superficially, they have a point (a point actually addressed by feminism, but not by MRAs)

15. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah totally. Some women are known to do terrible things to guys.

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd agree. I think it is about equal.

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2013 at 01:55 PM ----------

I'd say that it's a cultural phenomenon surrounding protection of turf and creating bonding networks. For those reasons, it's probably more prevalent than racism.

17. pansy

I disagree, people tend to want to segregate racism from other issues like sexism and homophobia, and often ignore that it's very much intersecting. I think this comes from the mislead idea that racism is over or only exists somewhere in the south with the KKK. It also seems when people talk about racism, they want to ignore gender completely, as if racism only effects men of color. Sexism in combination with racism has very real consequences for women of color, it infiltrates families and is perpetuated by racist AND sexist ideas on the inside as well as the outside of our communities.

18. Sarcastic Luck

No, I'm pointing out that there's two sides to everything, which people here seem to ignore. If you notice, my first sentence stated that it exists in both sexes.

I never even brought up MRAs. They're a bit of a joke. I can't say that my step-dad used his daughter as "leverage against his ex-wive". The only time he withheld visitation was when his ex-wife was drunk.

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know you didn't, but they're the only really vocal groups who talk about that sort of stuff as a men's issue instead of a feminist issue.

Though I agree that they're bad, they're too sinister to consider a joke.

20. pansy

I read your first sentence, it ended in "men are at a disadvantage", which implies the competition between x and y you were admonishing. You're using personal anecdotes and not really addressing anything being said though, so I'm not going to argue the minutia, but do you see the point either Aussie or I were trying to make about how misogyny leads to these disadvantageous situations you've experienced?