1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you be offended if your adult kid didn't want a Christmas present ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

So I am 23, and I am an only kid.

I told my parents the other week that I don't want anything for Christmas (I would rather they spent the money on themselves) but they said that they have brought me something and were upset that I didn't want anything.

I just hope they didn't buy me something expensive, I don't like my parents spending money on me anymore.

2. pansy

I understand why you don't want them to and why it may make you uncomfortable, as a young adult. And trust, the older you get, the less presents you receive. Most people find happiness and love in giving gifts, especially during this season. That can be more important than money, for them. You might think it's a waste of money, or material, but for them it's the sentiment. Try to enjoy it :slight_smile:

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Man I'm 32 and I still love getting presents. I wouldn't be mad if I didn't get them but it is nice to.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was actually just having this conversation today.

For some people, the holidays are an officially sanctioned opportunity to be able to show others how much we care about them. I would say that if your parents really want to give you something, expensive or not, it's likely that doing so is something that brings them joy. So unless you're really, really uncomfortable with it, I'd let them give you the gift they've chosen, and let them know how much you appreciate it and appreciate the thought behind it.

And maybe after the holidays you could have a conversation with them and ask if they'd be willing to make alternate arrangements for next year: doing something for themselves, or giving something to charity, or maybe both of you could do something really meaningful for the community like working at a soup kitchen or something (assuming you'll be in the same place for the holidays.)

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I told my mom i didn't care for a present because she and my dad screwed me over for Christmas so many times since i was a teenager that I was just gonna buy what i wanted myself . the only person that ever got me a present was my aunt my parents stop giving me present at Christmas time at age 13 . So i'm bitter . My mom cried when i told her this . I'm pretty sure i'm not getting anything this year either :dry:

#5 stocking, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  6. AlamoCity

I would say just accept it. I, too, derive joy when shopping for a gift for someone else. It's just pleasant to be able to show intangible friendship and love with tangible objects, regardless of the cost. It's a token of the relationship that makes giving gifts as happy for the receiver as it's for the giver.