1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bah Humbug!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Siarad, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Siarad

Well, I don't wish to put a total dampener on the 'Merry Christmas' thread but this is designed to run alongside it for people feeling a bit bah humbuggy today and tomorrow, for whatever reason.

(Also, I know that people will have lots of reasons, ranging from relatively minor to major reasons to feel bah humbuggy but because everyone needs a space to vent if we could not judge or compare people's problems, just express a bit of Christmas sympathy - that would be great!)

I am feeling a bit bah humbuggy because my brother can't get home for Christmas because of the weather affecting the trains and Mum has just told me that Dad has just gone on medication for anxiety and mood but the meds won't kick in for a few weeks so this Christmas needs to be all about keeping Dad calm and averting the various catastrophes and awkward moments that are bound to be coming our way. I have a feeling that this may not be the jolliest of Christmasses!
    But, as Mum said, people get much worse news at Christmas, and at least my brother's not coming because of the trains rather than being ill or worse...

2. Data

Data Guest

I feel a little down because I have about $10 to my name and I wasn't able to buy gifts for ANYONE at all. :frowning2: That makes me very, very sad. I get probably 10X the joy from giving gifts then I do from opening them. I would rather nobody got me anything, then having not gotten anybody anything. :c

I told everyone early November not to get me anything because I'm a loser and a jobless bum, but they all said they love me and got me something anyway. I'm totally undeserving of such kindness. :c

3. AlamoCity

Well my grandmother just turned 94 and she's in late stage Alzheimer's. We won't have a merry holiday season because of that. She won't make it to the next one, that's almost certain. Maybe next one will be better knowing she's not suffering through this horrifying disease. That said, we're spending the holidays in a local hotel and having a "staycation" since we haven't had a proper vacation in about 6 years thanks to the disease. It's been a long journey, but the holidays are painful because they serve as time markers and knowing someone won't make it to the other is kind of a downer.

I feel for all of y'all too. Siarad, I know what you mean about antidepressants and the time it takes for them to kick in. My grandma was put on Paxil a while back and the doctor said it was about 2 weeks before the full effects were experienced. And Data, I understand how hard it is to not be able to buy presents. As they say, "It is more blessed to give than to receive."

And hope as many EC'ers as possible are having a good holiday season.

#3 AlamoCity, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  4. Kellyve

We'll I'm kinda bummed because as usual I can't spend Christmas with both my parents. My dad lives up in Sweden and I'm in England with my mum this Christmas. It's at times like these when I really miss my dad... :frowning2: I just hope he has a good time, and I just have to keep looking forward to when I see him next.

5. Siarad

Christmas sympathy to all!

Data, have you got time to improvise any presents to show you're thinking of them? I've been low on money this Christmas and have done things like recycling things I no longer need, giving Dad a copy of an album I have that he likes, etc.

Alamo, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother, I hope Christmas isn't too bad.

Kellyve, I hope you enjoy Christmas with your Mum and have a chance to ring your Dad at least.

Everyone keep hanging in there and finding the silver linings to Christmas this year. I have hoping for Karmic repayment for this Christmas next year and expect to spend it with a beautiful new girlfriend, being fully out and having managed to sort my finances and be able to get people presents without their worrying if I can afford it!

6. Siarad

To repeat a post I made in the Merry Christmas thread...

Looks like my brother might make it home after all! That would be a completely cheesy 'best Christmas present I could ask for' moment!

It will still be tricky with Dad but everything would be so much easier to cope with if my brother is there to roll my eyes at when/if Dad's being a pain and if I'm able to take some time out to have a laugh with my brother.

7. if you are ever allowed to see them you are ahead of me, I could show up at there house and the door would be slammed in my face.

I get 2 cards a year, that is it. Been 28 years now.

11th Christmas & thanksgiving since my partner died

8. Hexagon

Bah humbug, my dad made me touch a turkey :frowning2:

9. Silenthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, Christmas sympathy to all!!

givepeaceachanc, sorry to hear your parents have distanced themselves from you to such an extent. And sorry your partner is not here to spend the holidays with you. So what are your plans?

I'm spending it with my family--parents and four siblings. But yeah, bah humbug, because my brother is not doing too well. He's 29, and his kidneys failed three years ago (doctors have never figured out why). He got a transplant in March, but we learned last week that his kidney is diseased, and they will have to remove it, and he'll have to go back on dialysis. Dialysis takes such a mental, physical, and emotional toll... I'm very sad for my brother, because in addition to his health being awful, he's still in the closet, and for reasons I don't want to say, he has to live by himself and can rarely see us.

My mother and I will spend part of Christmas at his place, and I have to focus on being cheery and hopeful. And it seems that the only way I can muster this is by going on EC and reading really sad stories and trying to find hope, even if it's so tiny it can only fit on the head of a pin, so I'm grateful for EC in this regard.

10. one of the people who was a follower on Facebook before I shut it down is now talking to me, we had been messaging for a little while after my first threat to shut down Facebook, she is going to make sure I am not totally alone on Christmas so at least I get one call.

Everyone else I know has family or friends they are busy with that day. Then Friday I have a sort of party to go to at the bar I frequent.

11. Satoru

In all honesty, I am not one who really likes the Christmas time of the year.

12. Silenthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know, all this pressure to be ... cheerful, joyful, grateful. Puts me right smack in the middle of Despair.

givepeaceachanc, party at a bar--that sounds like a lot of fun. Wish I had one of those to go to.

13. Sitri

I'm really sorry about this but... the quote is "Bah! Humbug!" as in two words seperated by punctuation. It is two phrases, not one. Whenever I see or hear bah humbug it drives me a little bit crazy. Sorry about that. A pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, I'm sick again, like I am every Christmas. I suspect somebody does not wash their hands when making cookies.

14. Silenthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, no, thanks, Sitri. And I have to say, your post is absolutely in spirit with "Bah! Humbug!"

And thanks for the laugh: "I suspect somebody does not wash their hands when making cookies."

---------- Post added 24th Dec 2013 at 07:36 AM ----------

But sorry to hear that you're sick! Don't mean to be insensitive.

15. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Siaras I'm sorry things are a bit stressful for you right now.

It says you're in Northampton but with that name are you Welsh? :slight_smile:

16. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate the fact I can't spend Christmas with my mom and dad, after 7 years of not being able to spend this holiday with them I would think it would have gotten easier to deal with it but it just sucks even more as the years pass.

17. Legorabbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  18. Hexagon

Can I also say in the spirit of this thread that I hate exclamation marks?

19. Silenthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, definitely, why not? I'm quite loving this wonderfully "hateful" space in the midst of warm, fuzzy, cloying Christmas cheer. Oh, but the poor dear exclamation mark-- what has it done to earn your enmity? It's rather enthusiastic to be sure... perhaps Too enthusiastic?

20. Sitri

5 exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.