1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay "Sin" in the Modern Age

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Indiana Juno, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Indiana Juno

With the recent moronics of the DUCK DYNASTY Robertson family spouting their "gay is sinful" crap, I felt the need to speak up in a forum where people might listen.

I struggled with the idea that my gayness was a sin for years.

I've since lost the adherence to the 3000 year old fairy tale book, but for those who still find solace in the Bible, I'd like them to know that, according to the BIBLE (I don't mean God here, just the fictional caricature of him) gay sex IS a sin. However, it's no more sin than they, or anyone else engage in on a daily basis.

MATT 19:24 - "lt is easier that a camel pass the eye of a needle than a rich man enter Heaven".

Most "Christians" like the filthy-rich Robertsons, willfully ignore this passage in their pursuit of bigger houses, cars, vacations, etc. When a man in a $3,000 suit tells you what a sinner you are for being gay, point out that according to his own holy book, he's a sinner without a hope of heaven.

LEVITICUS 19:28 - Tells followers not to have tattoos. The ROBERTSON Son has tattoos. So his father should be as equally disgusted with his son as he is with gays.

There are passages telling you it's sinful to engage in premarital sex - this is on equal footing with the "sin" of homosexuality. EVERYONE that has done it is in no room to call anyone else out on their sexual behavior.

And one of my favorite of Christ's sayings: "JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED."

When asked about sinful behavior, Robertson went on vomiting behaviors HE personally has a problem with. A TRUE Christian would acknowledge that, even if others are sinful, they are in no position to judge. A true Christian realizes that they are sinners themselves.

Christ condemned the wealthy and the money controllers and never ONCE made mention himself of homosexuality.

If they're going to pick and choose which commandments they keep and which ones they break, WHO THE FUCK ARE THEY to tell YOU which ones to keep?

2. Hexagon

Oh, goodness. I'm guilty of basically all of this. Ah well. Its a good thing its all crap like you say.

The 'true christian' thing is a bit of a no true scotsman fallacy, though. Measure yourself by the person you are, not on the words of a religious text. You'll be happier for it.

3. Indiana Juno

O, I know.

It's almost impossible to be a true "Christian". But that's the point.

It's a practically impossible standard of living that even the most devout of believers fail to keep up. So anytime someone tells you what a sinner you are, you can point out that they sin in equal measure (even worse, actually, for their passing judgement)

How can anyone ever call someone a sinner when we're ALL supposedly swimming in it no matter what we do?

Gay may be a sin. But so are tattoos and multi-material clothing. If others can ignore those two out of convenience, I think we're safe ignoring LEV. 20:13.

4. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

Yep. This. I think the idea of a "true christian" is a silly notion. All Christians who treat people like crap get labelled as not "real" by those who are "real". It's just a bunch of subjective nonsense.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to be a party-pooper, but I think the missed point here is that people are disgusted by gayness first, then try to find reasons why they're allowed to be. Reinforced by the fact that I know some Christians who don't hate gays, I think religion actually has very little to do with it. Some people are just shitbags.

6. ninerw

As a Christian (still working on rebuilding that relationship I guess) I have struggled with this issue. in college I was in a Christian group that I felt was pretty open-minded. We were not Bible-thumpers protesting outside Planned Parenthood or passing out fliers on campus. We met with different groups and talked with them about their feelings with God. Muslims, Mormons, LGBT, women's groups, black student unions, etc. I felt really at home with them, and I was comfortable enough to at least talk to a few people about my questioning, to which they did not shun me.

But when I left college I turned away from those people. I hated the religion, but the spirituality was what sufficed. Some of the people I associated with in college have turned out to be not who I thought they were. They went to churches that preached the gospel, but the pastor would hop off in a Mercedes to his $3 million mansion. It was full of hypocrisy. Even with my parents, I could see how hard they tried to live accordingly to the Bible, but it is hard.

So...sorry for the soapbox right there.

I think my biggest struggle has been to recognize that there is equal sin. But the thing I keep getting hung on is the fact that people say you have to repent from sin to get to heaven. How do you repent from being gay? I mean that is just something that seems impossible, and for that matter stupid because it is love. You can't, and shouldn't deny love to someone. And to have someone who is just as equal a sinner as I am tell me I have no right to heaven, regardless of if I believe in its existence, is complete and total bullshit.

I believe in God. I believe in love. I believe God loves us so much and in turn we should love everyone just as much. I don't know if any of this makes sense, and I don't want to step on any toes. But I hate what the Robertsons say and stand for. I hate that they represent a people I am very close to. I hate the hypocrisy that goes unnoticed in this world.

7. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sin is something invented by the pious to make themselves feel good and scare everyone else into following their religion.

8. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Everyone sins. Everyone, but you know gods still loves you. That is kind of their thing love and forgiveness. I don't think god thinks being gay is a sin. I know what the bible says and I know what the clergy says, but my heart doesn't agree.

I don't like when religion is used as a reason to be a bad person as some times happens. That is not what god is about. They clearly want you to love your neighbor not condemn them to hell for being gay.

9. Kreiger

Yeah, religion can be a good excuse for self-righteous ignoramuses to claim that being gay isn't "natural."
    Its particularly annoying because that's completely on the other end of the spectrum of what any religion is supposed to be, unless its like some creepy ancient human sacrifice stuff or Cthulhu worship...
    (On another note, don't mess with Cthulhu worshipers, I'm pretty sure they can evoke the spirit of Lovecraft when in vengeful moods.)

10. Northern

I'm not religious because it's just my perspective, but if I were to believe in it, than I guess I would be going straight to hell :slight_smile:

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here the thing. You never want to associate religi

12. Hexagon

No, I am not suggesting we ignore anything out of convenience. If something is wrong, then we ought not do it. What I'm saying is that the bible is an extremely poor guide to morality, and that morality doesn't come from religion, but from people.

Being gay isn't 'okay' because everybody sins. Its okay because it is not an immoral action.

And I'm not saying its 'almost' impossible to be a true christian, I'm saying the notion is fallacious.

13. CrimsonThunder

Wrong. I don't sin, in fact its impossible for me to sin because I don't follow your religion.

14. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Devil's got barbecue and the best tunes anyway.

#...We're on the highway to hell...#

#14 GeeLee, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That doesn't mean you don't sin; it just means that you don't believe some otherworldly entity is keeping score.

One can throw in my agreement though that God does not condemn people for gayness, eating of shellfish, or even wearing mixed fabrics. Leviticus just does not apply.

16. Hexagon

Sin is a religious concept, though. Us non-religious don't consider bad shit to be sin, we consider it to be bad shit.

17. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The bible is a guidebook written by many people with different viewpoints that often contradict each other. So while it might have valuable messages, it is full of contradictions.

I believe in God and Jesus because Jesus never preached hate or bigotry towards anyone. It is not the words to me, but the actions he demonstrated.

Also a mistranslated but nevertheless wise saying attributed to Buddha said

Believe nothing.
    No matter where you read it,
    Or who said it,
    Even if I have said it,
    Unless it agrees with your own reason
    And your own common sense.

18. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Something I've wondered is how much of the King James Bible is a straight translation of the original and how much was altered for nefarious purposes.

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Semantics I suppose. One group could consider an activity to be "operating a motor vehicle" and another calls it "driving." But that's pretty off-topic for me lol.

And GeeLee, I'm pretty sure the Bible gets muddied a little with every new translation.

20. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Scholars have debated that forever. And who wrote what book and where.