1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I make hot chocolate with solid chocolate?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Necromancer, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I got a ton of Ghirardelli for Christmas, in a bunch of cool flavors. I want to make cool flavored hot chocolate. I've never made hot chocolate with anything other than powdered cocoa or hot chocolate mix. I know damn well what I'm thinking is completely doable and involves a stove and a saucepan, just not how to go about it without burning the chocolate or curdling the milk.

YES, I KNOW I FAIL BASIC COOKING.

2. Avi123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    im guessing you could melt the chocolate in a pot, and then ix the liquid chocolate with warm milk.

3. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Pretty sure I could find some way to fuck that up.

4. Just Jess

What Avi said.

Also if you want to make something absolutely terrible for you, add peanut butter when you're melting the chocolate, and then when you turn off the burner, add heavy cream to that >:slight_smile:

If you're worried about burning it (and your arteries wouldn't be happy with my other suggestion) you could do what I used to do, make a pot of coffee like normal, except before it starts brewing, add the Ghirardelli directly to the pot so the hot coffee pours over it. Pause when you've got about two cups in there and swirl it around. It's idiot proof.

5. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

The coffee idea sounds interesting.

With using the stovetop, I'm worried about the temperature and cooking time. If I experimented with it, I'd figure out a way to light water on fire, even though I wasn't cooking with water. Given a guideline, I'd be able to do it fine.

6. prism

Dave's Awesome Hot Chocolate

If you're going to melt the chocolate "in a pot," use a double boiler. It'll keep the chocolate from burning and sticking to the sides of the pot. :slight_smile:

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Start on low heat, best bet. Stir constantly to help aid melting, keep from congealing and burning to pan. Once chocolate's melted, I'd say add about 8 .oz of milk per three tablespoons of cholocate. Add in enough milk until you get the desired consistency and then add in whatever extras you need- nutmeg, cinnamon. Assuming this is a single serving, about a light sprinkle of each should do it. Top with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, and you're good to go.

8. You should start melting chocolate over a bain-marie, which is melting chocolate in a bowl that's placed over a pot of boiling water. This way, the chocolate won't scorch. When it's melted, slowly add in cream, milk, and/or favorite Starbucks frappucino, until it's liquidy, and now you're done.

9. BudderMC

10. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know about most, but when it's hot chocolate I want I always use proper chocolate - never the powdered sort. I make cocoa mix for the family to enjoy, or for when I'm in a hurry and can't make the good stuff.

I never bother with a ban marie, simply because I'm lazy. I've never scorched or burnt my chocolate beyond my point of acceptability, so I see no need to change my methods now...

Anywho, I prefer the bittersweet chocolate if available. I also like to add my own flavorings, rather than use already flavored chocolate. I find sometimes the oils in the pre-flavored sort can separate and either float to the top or sink to the bottom.

Now, down to business:

Okay. Start with your mug. Fill it almost to the top, allowing some leeway for our other additives, with milk (full-fat ideally, better still, half and half or light cream if you've got it).

Pour your milk from the mug into a small saucepan. Now's the perfect time to add any whole flavoring a such as a cinnamon stick or a vanilla bean, and a good glob of honey as well. On with the heat, set to just above it's lowest point.

You want to heat the milk up gently, not even to a simmer. No bubbles whatsoever should break the surface, but once it's steaming and hot shut off the heat and add the chocolate (I find about 2 ounces of chocolate for a just-above-average-sized mug to be the Goldilocks of proportions for me, adjust as desired.), which ought best to be broken into splintery shards, to better facilitate quick melting.

Now whisk like hell. Froth is a good thing. Once everything is combined, remove any whole spices. Now is the when you can add an endless onslaught of flavored liqueurs (I'm partial to peppermint schnapps myself), coffee, or any other desired delicacies.

Decant back into your mug, top with marshmallows or whipped cream if desired, serve with a candy cane, cinnamon stick, or a vanilla bean for festive flare if you so wish. Personally, I drink it too fast to bother. :grin:

Attached Files: