1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you do when you're depressed and can't think ppositive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wasp, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Wasp

Wasp Guest

I know it's Christmas and I don't know why but I'm feeling pretty depressed.
    And I just can't think positively or get my work done these days.
    I've just moved into this country and I really don't have much anyone to talk to...
    I can't think much of what I like to do much...
    So I wanted to know what you usually do to cheer yourselves up, because I know that alot of you have overcome these kind of things.:help:

2. one thing is taking a long shower or bath

sometimes I will just find something I want to eat and snack (I am lucky not to have a weight problem)

if the weather is not too bad and it is daytime I take a walk

3. Jwis

Have you tried joining any groups? I find that volunteering my time cheers me up immensely. Otherwise see if there are any groups out there with people who have similar interests as you. For example I belong to a running club, triathlon club, and volunteer here and there. It's a good way to meet people with similar interests. While I'll be honest I have not made to many good friends out of these clubs (I have not really tried either) it is nice to socialize with them. Thats all more long term stuff.

When I'm feeling down I go out for a run - Perfect way to clear your head.

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm building up a music playlist of songs that pick me up when I need a boost

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

^

Also, listening to sad music to cry.

Drink Whiskey :lol:

Go to bed

6. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I do something relaxing like listen to the music I loved and browse pictures about anything. I do this to unwind myself and divert my attention so that my mind would not be occupied about endless problems and feel depressed after.

I also pause and reflect what are the good things I've done and why I should be thankful about it. :slight_smile:

7. MrBrightside

This will sound weird but i find it works these days... I drink a can of red bull, and put on some dance music :grin: Just makes me buzzing and tiredness usually causes me to get down.

8. Foster

I find a really really good show on Netflix and watch 5 seasons in one night. Seriously, it puts me in a good mood and distracts from my depression. Music also helps. Or reading a good book :slight_smile: If you keep yourself occupied with fun things, it usually helps a little :grin:

9. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I find talking to people helps me most. Then one time where just cried for about half an hour and felt better after. Oh and walking back and forth around the room. That helps too.

10. ba92

Out Status:
    A few people
    Music helps me a bunch.

11. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I either listen to music or watch a comedy.

12. unavailable

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I try to appreciate the fine parts of my life .... Some people have it much worse than I do ... That generally helps me ..... I know I've been fortunate in lots of ways .... Think about the things that make you feel fortunate ...

13. biggayguy

Taking a shower almost always makes me feel better. Watch The Sound of Music. It's hard to stay depressed with all the bubbly music.

14. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Play music, meditate, or shoot some arrows (basically standing meditation). I try to talk to others, usually my mom, about big issues that are causing me concern. Really, talking to others can help a lot, especially for an introvert like me.

15. Projectfabulous

This may not be helpful, but I lay down and cry usually. And if I'm not alone, I just stare at things. I like taking really hot baths with the windows open so I can see the stars and it is really cold outside of the water. And I understand not having people to talk to. I try, but maybe 1-2 ish of my friends know/understand how down I feel. And usually, they are too busy or are dealing with their own issues. Its kind of poopy, but I can get through it myself.

tl;dr (too long, didn't read) version:

Crying and staring, listening to music, and hot baths.

16. Gekko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To me it is not good to listen to music while sad, I just become sadder. What I usually do is sleep.

Doing exercise is good to, for depresion, When I feel down I try to incorporate jogging and swimming to my schedule, that way I become less stressed.

Since you just moved, you should try meeting people by joining clubs or taking classes, languages is a good option since you are forced to talk to people.

17. Wasp

Wasp Guest

Thank you so much for all of your advises.
    Feeling a little better now :slight_smile:

18. AmericnPrincess

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Call me crazy but when I am depressed, I like to watch sad movies. It helps to bring out my emotions and I tend to feel better afterwards.

19. thesimpleguy

Well, I've been having depression attacks since... well, a lot of years.
    What I do, is, when I'm having them, I try to go out, and do something that I really like... like movies or food! If you really like something you should do it... I deal with the sadness inside, attacking it when it attacks me.
    You can talk to someone you don't know too, try to be friends with someone, It's fucking scary but I did that when I started to live alone, and found whom is now one of my best friends.
    Watching good series will help you too, like movies or music.
    One last thing, sometimes... you just have to cry, avoiding sadness too much just will make it be longer and worst... this doesn't mean you will let it destroy you, but sometimes you just have to be that way, so you can let the demons out.

Hope this will help you.
    Hugs. :slight_smile:

20. thekillingmoon

Doing something you like that takes your mind off things helps. Could be a video game or a movie you like or just something funny to watch.