1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I meet more LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by girlonfire, Dec 25, 2013.

1. girlonfire

I know next to no one that isn't straight, and quite frankly it's rather annoying to fall for the straight ones...I'd like to join the GSA at my school but I have a bit of social anxiety and don't really know if I could actually walk in there alone. Aaand there's no one I could go with. So. What do you guys do?

2. Gekko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a similar problem, I am closeted to people that aren't my close friends and I don't know anyone who is lgbt.

You could start comming out to more friends, that way they could present you lgbt people, or ask them to go with you to the GSA perhaps? They might even be lgbt themselves!

You could also gather courage and go to the GSA alone, I don't think people there would be unpolite. I know nothing about GSA because they don't exist in my country, but they sound like good places, if there existed one in my university I would go (I think...).

You can try meeting new people. The more people you know the greater the chance of one of them being lgbt.

With social anxiety, it can get better by going to places alone (not just GSA, but places in general, like clases of something, etc.), I tell you from experience.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have the same problem all the chicks i run into are straight .

4. Wasp

Wasp Guest

Same problem too.
    It's pretty hard to meet other lgbt when you're a teen...
    People usually meet online or at bars which you can't do until you're of age...
    I wouldn't walk into GSA at all because it would mean coming out to my whole school in a small school like mine. And I know that I don't have the guts anyway.

5. Chlo98

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Same problem it's difficult at our age because we can't do much about it :/

6. justjade

I tried a site where FtM's are supposed to be able to communicate with each other and meet up, but no one's profile has shown any recent activity. This is the only site where I've been able to communicate with anyone, and I don't actually feel that I know any of you very well yet. It sucks. I have no idea where to meet other transguys.

7. toushirojaylee

Me too. :confused:

8. MrBrightside

I think its just a case of coming out. I didnt know many gays before i came out. Now tht im openly out, i know tons, literally tons. I meet gay people at work, at uni, people go "oh, so and so is gay too" or "so and so thinks ur hot". When ur closeted other lgbt people dont really approach you, and you dont approach them so its kinda stalemate. I dont know how other places schools work, but here the school was too small to really meet people, it was when i went to uni tht things changed slowly.

I disagree that bars and online are the only places to meet lgbt people. You just have to do things and meet people, some of them will undoubtedly be lgbt.