1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Sex Education

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BryanM, Dec 27, 2013.

?

LGBT Sex Education Rating

1. 1. "I Never Received Any LGBT Inclusive Sex Ed"

79 vote(s)
    76.7%
  2. 2.

12 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. 3. "I Received Some LGBT Inclusive Education"

10 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. 4.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5. "I Received Half Of My Knowledge From Sex Education"

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. 6.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7. "I Received Most Of My Knowledge From Sex Education"

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. 8.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 9. "I Learned Everything I Needed From Sex Education"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 10. "I Have Taken An LGBT Specific Course On Sex Ed"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello everyone, it's Bryan here, and I was just sitting up pondering over something that has been running across my mind recently. So, I bet everyone has at least had some sort of sex education in their life, whether it be "the birds and the bees" talk in grade school, middle school health, high school health, or sex ed.

Through that, I learned a few things, but all the stuff I learned about was heterosexual. Heterosexual relationships, heterosexual sex, heterosexual STD risks, never once did I learn about anything that was LGBT inclusive (until it came to HIV/AIDS day, of course.). I thought about how I never learned about the struggles that a gay or lesbian couple would go through, socially or sexually. I never learned what being transgender meant until I was 13, when I had to educate MYSELF.

I guess my point is, my school isn't very LGBT inclusive whenever it comes to sexual education, and maybe there's a reason for that. Maybe it is conservative talking points that LGBT inclusion is "perversion" or "immoral". Maybe it's because only about 5% of the population is LGBT. Maybe there is a really valid reason for it, but despite that, there should be no reason why a confused teenager should have to go into the world, unaware of their sexuality, and with no sense of sex education that applies to them.

This is kind of where my "head in the clouds dreamer" mode settles in. I think I was able to educate myself about LGBT sexual education fairly well by myself through ample resources at my disposal, but what about the kid who doesn't have that luxury? LGBT resource centers in colleges are a great place, but I was thinking of a younger age than that. I want to make it somewhat easier to make LGBT sexual education available to any LGBTQ teenager who needs it, at a younger age. But I need to know if there is even a need for that. That's kind of where you guys step in.

I want you guys to rate how well your sex education lectures talked about LGBT social and sexual issues, and how being LGBT, you may go through different things than what a heterosexual person might go through, and how well they prepared you for this. You can vote in the poll left here, and perhaps leave a comment below on where and when you had sex education, and maybe describe how the teacher included or excluded LGBT topics.

At this point, this is just a crazy idea that I thought of in the middle of a sleepless night, and it might stay that way, if there is no need for it. However, if there is need for it, I can maybe try to brainstorm ways of how to combat LGBT sex uneducation.

Thanks for any and all input. :slight_smile:

2. LGBT sex ed - T never happened , LGB -10 (not even a 0) BTW grew up in the 70's

I did not learn about HIV until I was 23 and I was probably ahead of my peers I went on one of the first AIDS walks.

could not find a poll

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I got timed out on the poll, So I'll post it in here, and people can manually put in a number rating their school's sex ed class. (Or, if a mod could enter this poll, that would be even better :slight_smile:)

1- I never learned anything LGBT inclusive/related in sex ed
    3- I learned a few things that were LGBT inclusive/related
    5- halfway between nothing and everything LGBT inclusive/related
    7- I learned most things LGBT inclusive/related
    9- I learned everything I needed to learn LGBT inclusive/related
    10- I actually have taken a LGBT specific course on sex ed

I would score my school at a 2, this HIV/AIDS discussion talked a bit about LGBT(- the T), but that was it.

#3 BryanM, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  4. Caitlin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been taught sex ed every year for at least the last 7 years throughout school.

My teachers have gone into very detailed teachings of heterosexual relationships, problems, etc.. but never once was I taught anything about LGBT sex or relationships, except like you said, when taught about HIV/AIDS.

I'm not sure why this is, throughout school I've learnt pretty much everything about heterosexual relationships, but not even the most basic details of LGBT relationships. Which seems unfair. In this day and age I think it would be quite easy to include at least one lesson about LGBT relationships.

I would rate my school(s) a 1, possibly a 2.

5. my edit time is over by your poll 1

I took 3 years of sex ed, it required parental permission slip each year, after that I ask my mom not to sign the slip, I got bored taking them it just kept repeating stuff. We also had non-co-ed classes, I hear they have co-ed sex ed nowadays.

6. Daydream Harp

I don't remember much about sex education outside of a really disturbing "educational cartoon" of a young couple having sex while the girl was on her period (what on earth was that all about anyways), but I am pretty sure there was no LGBT lessons, so 1. I think we only had one day of it too, so I guess they didn't have much time to put it in even if they wanted, because apparently learning to make crummy flowerpots is more important than safe sex now or something.

7. ThinWhiteDuke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My school was more progressive than most I guess, I'd say about 9, talked about everything you could hope for along with some basic stuff like the difference between transexuals and transvestites, along with a few days spent on gender identity.

8. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well said.

And my school probably was a 1. We learned about HIV and AIDS when we did diseases in A-Level Human Biology. But it's an optional subject which few people took.

9. sammy1

The only thing I remember that was LGBT related was this ONE day where we could wear a certain color to show support for LGBT people and that's it. That's pretty bad. All the sex ed classes I tried to skip because I knew they would just gross me out! For example that day where everyone was taught how to put a condom on. :eusa_sick:

10. Iamqm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have never been to a sex ed. class. Well, not really. It was more like a "relationship ed.", where we had to learn how to respect privacy etc. So I just asked my parents.

I would rate my school as a 1. Never ever did they mention anything related to LGBT. And although I'm very informed now, I wish they would have said at least something.

11. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Mine, probably a 2. They had the usual HIV/AIDS lesson, but not much else LGBT. Mind you, they did stress that HIV affects heterosexuals as well. But yeah, nothing actually dedicated to LGBT. Obviously I wasn't expecting them to do a whole lesson on it, but just a little nod towards other aspects of it wouldn't have gone amiss. It would probably have been much more enlightening than many other lesson topics they chose...

12. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe a 4, I think we went over LGBT for a few classes in 7th grade. We mainly just went over what the letters meant. Wast very inclusive but it was nothing

13. Rainbow Girl

In grade seven and eight we sex ed in health class, boys and girls separated. I went to a quite progressive, inclusive school and I was quite impress particularly with grade eight (when I was first starting becoming aware of my sexuality). We learned about making healthy desicions about being sexually active or not and my teacher made a point of talking about LGBT people as much as possible (saying things like "in your relationships with boys or girl" and talking about gay and lesbian relationship some). We also talked a bit people having sex and prove they're straight and denial. In the poll I'd give my school somewhere between 7 and 9. My health teacher didn't even bat an eye when I asked how two girls have sex and they would protect themselves (I never told her about my sexuality and if she suspect based on that question she didn't let it show at the time or during the rest of the school year). Also when I was in grade seven we had a presentation from someone who worked at our local LGBT youth organization, about the different terms in LGBT, what they meant, how people know, questioning, denial, experiences that LGBT people go through and being accepting and inclusive. Sometimes we'd talk about LGBT civil and social issues in English and History class too and had a strong GSA. Overall I was very impress by the inclusiveness of my (former) school, especially from a 7-8 school. But that might be partly based on where I live (a decent-sized, politically moderate-to-liberal city in Southern Ontario, Canada).

14. photoguy93

Well.....the thing is, we are such an "abstinence" culture. I'm not surprised LGBT sex is excluded.

However, why can't we take into account things like oral sex? That applies to all of us. I do remember we talked about that once. I don't think we ever actually learned how to do anything - so....yeah.

15. Mightyena319

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    on a scale of 1 to 10, about 0.5! Mind you, we did have our PE teacher for sex-ed for 2 years, so it wasn't particularly surprising really. PE teachers aren't the most accepting lot in the first place, so there were a lot of laughs at the expense of LGBT people!

16. AlamoCity

In Texas, we only go shown pictures of STDs and told abstinence is the best. The man who talked to us couldn't even tell us about what a condom was or how to use it. In his words, the state prohibited him from talking about that. If sex ed was that limited, LGBT was not even on the menu, so to speak.

17. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A 2. Again only with the AIDS/HIV issue... Is bad publicity really better than none? Anyhow I do suppose theres only a small percentage of us but yeah... I'm self taught in that regard LoL

18. Gen

Gen

VOILA!

Unfortunately, I had to start the poll off by voting one. Though, in all honest, the heterosexual sex education that was offered when I was in elementary and middle school was horrific and completely unrealistic. No one took it seriously, so I can only imagine the charade that would have ensued had they have taught LGBTQ topics.

19. C P

C P

I would say between a 1 and 2, so I picked 2, if only because I think it popped up once(probably the HIV thing as others have said).

20. Hexagon

Well, I never had any school sex ed except a very brief and awkward lesson in which we discussed the fact that babies exist. I've received various safe sex talks in queer community settings, though. And if that was all I'd learnt, it would probably be enough. But of course, I already knew it all by the time these groups came around.