1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edward II of England

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

Has anyone heard about this -

King Edward II of England (a failure of a King due to sheer incompetance) was executed because he had homosexual relations with another man, and that Edward II’s penalty was being held down while a red hot poker was jammed through his rectum and intestines.

2. Hexagon

I'm a republican. It matters very little whether a king is queer or not. They're not a king to me.

3. Techno Kid

^ Yeah I feel the same as Hex about this. The abuse is not cool though. :dry:

#3 Techno Kid, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  4. biggayguy

Wikipedia says he had five children by two wives and was rumored to be bisexual.

5. Beware Of You

While I have some republican ideas myself, this is still history whenever we like it or not.

6. tscott

It's an interesting point of history...surely his defeat at Bannockburn and some very unpopular favorites had nothing to do with such a nasty ending...hence, the expression "going medieval" on someone...as to the issue of one having sympathy for royalists or republicans I would merely point out the horrors perpetrated in the name of liberty...Cromwell, the French Reign of Terror, Lenin, Mao...the excesses of royals may be inexcusible, but rarely have they truly justified what came aferward...as you can see by my quote I am no friend of any tyrany.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find his wife far more interesting. Isabella of France, who married him, found him incompetent, then got sick of it and tried to become queen in her own right and actually succeeded in becoming de facto ruler of England.

More on topic, I think what happened to him might be a myth; anything that gruesome would have posthumously destroyed his reputation even further than his own actions did. I don't doubt it as a possibility, but given that there are a lot of accounts of his death, and some that even implicate Isabella, it has to be doubted.