1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Does Personal Opinion End and Prejudice Begin?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BryanM, Dec 30, 2013.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So with all of the Phil Robertson mess in the news recently, it has got me to thinking of something. When does a person's opinion begin to end, and prejudice/hate/bigotry begin? For a lot of people, this is a very gray line, and definitely is not black and white.

Personally, I believe once your opinion:
    1. Offends a large group of people
    2. Is hateful in general
    3. Is based on real or perceived inferiority of others, making you ignorant or arrogant about yourself.
    4. Won't listen to any reason from the other point of view

You are being prejudiced if you do any of these things listed above.

What do you all think?

2. Simple Thoughts

I think personal opinion is anything you don't act upon. We cannot control people's thoughts, but we can try to change their minds.

Prejudice for me is anytime a person takes their bad opinion beyond words and acts on them, or allows them to affect decisions they make.

3. Hexagon

There is no clear distinction. I speak out against what is wrong or harmful, and so do they. We just disagree on what is wrong and harmful. I can promise you one thing. The world will not become a better place if we allow things like homophobia, misogyny and racism to go unchallenged, and yet by a great many definitions, the simple act of challenging someone's opinion is offensive or hateful.

4. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

It's prejudice when you act upon it, it's opinion when you say it and have no action to it. Opinions are open to change, whereas prejudice is not.

5. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

1.) There are many things that can be said that will offend large groups of people
    2.) "Hateful" seems a bit subjective.
    3.) Real inferiority? What do you mean by that?
    4.) "Reasonable" people are sometimes hypocrites.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could have, and should have worded that better. In saying that I didn't mean that anyone is inferior to anyone else, and I certainly don't believe in that ideology. I just believe that many people think they are better than others for frivolous reasons, and those people need to grow up and realize they are no better than anyone else.

7. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think prejudice begins when you won't accept that there can be any exceptions to what your opinion says even when faced with evidence which contradicts it, or you don't have an opinion which is falsifiable. That's when you're no longer judging because you're not listening to reason or observation. You're pre-judging, because you're dismissing something before knowing it.

It crosses the line from opinion to prejudice when you refuse to listen to anything else or you can't/won't defend your ideas since at that point you've abandoned reason and judgement and lost the ability to call the idea an opinion.

To use a Sherlock Holmes quote I saw at school, I think you could say prejudice is born when "Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts".

Opinions can be any measure of hateful, offensive, pejorative, exclusionary etc. but when they're not open to change, compromise, disproof or competition/attacks then that's prejudice, since again you're dismissing before you hear and pre-judging.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as I'm concerned, prejudice is an opinion. People are free to their opinions and free to be prejudiced. It just means I'll try to change their mind and resent them for their bigoted views until they do.

9. PurpleGrey

It becomes prejudice when logic goes out the window and the person does things for no other reason than because they have this belief. In my opinion, anyway.

10. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

This is key here. For every opinion out there, there is an opposite one. Prejudice is offensive, but opinion can be too. :confused:

11. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My opinions can be offensive. Like I hate the Queen. That is my opinion and it offends people. So it is both. So my views are opinions and offensive.

12. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I interpreted prejudice as the judgement of someone because they are part of a group, and not due to their own merits and flaws.
    So, for example, someone who has a negative opinion of LGBT people but changes their view when they meet one of us, learn about the community, etc. isn't prejudiced.
    Someone who has a negative opinion of LGBTs, doesn't listen to reason, uses words such as "faggot" in a negative context, and judges LGBT people negatively, no matter who they are? That, I'd call prejudiced.

Any given opinion can be offensive.
    I eschewed the "political correctness gone mad" movement because of that.

#12 An Gentleman, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  13. Hexagon

Allow me to add to my previous post. Prejudice is everyone else's opinion.

14. Minx

For me at least. Prejudice begins when personal experiences or mob mentality overrides civility, tolerance and common sense.

An opinion can be crude or candid, But it doesn't have to mean it's prejudiced all the time if it opposes something. :3