1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D paper crafting

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by azrae1, Dec 30, 2013.

1. azrae1

azrae1 Guest

Hi everyone!

I'm new to crafting and paper related craft work, since i can't remember when was the last time i have cut and glued papers together to make something worth keeping but anyways. So this week i after studying french and watched history channel on french revolution i decided to work on a 3D paper model of Palais de Versailles in Paris but i need some help and advises on how to tackle some issues i have come across, here are the pictures of the completed château 1 part of 8 châteaux (Note this is just a small sample of actually the big thing):

Images

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2m2zw4w.jpg

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2meu2vc.jpg

I only used office paper A4 & glue stick (which i think made it look horrible).The office paper is thin and not good for small scales, i was wondering can normal printers print on hard or thicker papers? or are ordinary printers can't print only but on A4 thin office type? Secondly; what are good glues out there that are good for 3D paper crafting. Thanks any help will be appreciated :grin:!

2. Ridiculous

I've done some Pokemon ones which you can see in my album here! http://emptyclosets.com/forum/members/9296-albums4853.html

I just use regular A4 office paper and it works fine; however there and lots of little folds and pieces in those which help to keep the shape. Your models have quite large flat sections which would naturally bend, so you might want some heavier paper for that sort of thing.

Glue sticks aren't suitable at all - get some regular liquid PVA glue and use that. I use a cotton swab or a toothpick to apply it, or even the point of a pin depending on how small and tricky the piece is.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always been interested in origami and paper folding; not so much 3D paper craft (though I did make lots of models when I was an architecture student).

When I was young, I developed my own style of what could be called kirigami, making animals from a folded sheet of paper that I cut with scissors. I sometimes used tape or holes and paper joints for articulated segments. I've posted one example:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/members/31239-albums5221-picture41788.html

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2013 at 08:02 PM ----------

In Japan, people use rice glue, and it's quite strong.

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2013 at 08:03 PM ----------

Also, in your folds, try to use a straight edge or something to make them cleaner and avoid showing the dotted lines. I'm a little OCD on this part, but I really think it does help. Sometimes when I'm making a fold, I'll also use my nail to get a nice, sharp crease.

4. azrae1

azrae1 Guest

Thanks for the links, Your pokémon models are so neat and way more complex than what i am working on. I believe that the model you got was from papermau.com ? Thanks for the Glue stick advice at first i was not sure either to use it or not but yeah i will use Thicker paper for this model :thumbsup:

5. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I made a papercraft creeper once (from Minecraft).
    I'm not very art savvy, but I had fun.

6. azrae1

azrae1 Guest

Haha!, i think my model gave u an eye cancer (you being an architecture student) haha! But i would like to point out the reason behind the imperfection, One: it is much smaller than what the picture is showing and secondly the paper is so thin :frowning2: , thats why i am working on a bigger model, honestly i am bit spectacle about the entire process of modeling the Versailles because its made of 8 parts and 40 pages of A4 size xD, yeah its a long but should be rewarding, will post updates when i am done with parts but look at the scale of this small model. here:

http://oi43.tinypic.com/24ctvky.jpg

7. Ridiculous

Oh that is quite a lot smaller than I thought it was!

If it is mostly right-angles like that then you should still be able to use thicker paper (if it was smaller awkward folds then it can get cumbersome with thick paper) and that should stop it from buckling on the large sections.

Also yes, sharp folds for buildings and structures and that sort of thing are imperative! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I use the edge of a ruler to do mine. Make sure you get the folds perfectly straight because even a tiny deviation will push everything out of alignment further along in the model.

It does look good though, well done!

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think one way to help the folds is to avoid getting the paper too wet (likely from the glue), which causes the warped curves. Even just handling the paper too much with your hands can cause the buckling.

If the folds are too difficult, sometimes it helps to use the back of a sharp knife (like an X-acto knife) to lightly score (scratch) the crease line. That will help weaken the paper, but you have to be careful to avoid tearing.

You can use toothpicks or balsa wood to help support larger structures if the paper is not strong enough itself.

9. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can always use paper that is thicker. I use thin card for making my models for uni (I study architecture, I'm afraid to say) and stick it together using a wood adhesive which I water down. Dries clear and is precise to apply with a brush. To support larger sections you can brace it at the back with a thicker material I. E. Balsa wood or mount board. I usually cut them into triangles and stick them on for extra support.