1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk about straights - and some coupling stuff

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We've all seen straight couples who were clearly straight (sexuality is not an issue here) go through some weird or surprising mating and marriage rituals.

Three come to mind. I knew one girl who had a certain look she always chased. She never quite ended up with guys like that. She then reported that, through work and travels, she met this guy who liked her. He was successful and intelligent. She indicated that she couldn't see waking up to breakfast with him for the long-haul. She married him within a year or so. They are still together as far as I know. I knew another girl who was approaching 30 and had dated, but without much luck for anything long term. A guy she actually criticized as being a nerd and awkward around girls showed interest in her. Likewise, she married him within a year or two. They have kids and are definitely still together. A guy I know was seduced by a much older woman roughly upon starting college. She was divorced and had a few kids. He was reeled in by the sex. They are about 18 years apart. Now that he is an adult man, he mentions that he regrets having married her but doesn't have the personality or looks to cheat. I'm almost sure he doesn't cheat.

I don't know how some of these pairings can last, when real attraction, or even being slightly repelled, was lacking in initially hooking up. Do you know of cases like this? Did they last or split up? Or did they handle it another way?

2. Hexagon

I don't see how this is unique to heterosexual relationships.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not, but since marriage has been more ubiquitous for straight folks, I thought of some cases of what some people would go through to have a ring on their finger. That's all.

Any thoughts, folks?

4. Techno Kid

Don't some of them last because of the children?

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For those who had children as a result of that union, I think that's a valid argument.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents exactly. ^^^

7. Foster

People like companionship and are (sometimes) willing to give up love and happiness for it. Some will even give up their freedom and self respect.

8. kem

kem

Feelings develop over time, and opposites attract.
    My parents are more like good friends, they don't have sex – anymore at least, dad has been sleeping in the living room as long as I can remember – and they aren't particularly intimate. I can tell they like each other very much though, and it seems to work at least.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that's sort of where my parents ended up when they got "older," however that is defined. The intimacy was no longer important, but having someone there was, and whatever was missing in each other, they lived vicariously through the kids, which can be, and was, unhealthy. I get the vibe that they sort of settled, from reading between the lines a time or two. Oh well. Here I am.

10. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Feel like that's the only reason my parents are still together...
    :bang:

11. Hopefilled

Sometimes it's how empty not having them in life is to even contemplate. Sometimes it may be Horses and Burning Barns level stuff. The sound of comfort in their snores. Wanting them to wake up next to you.

ALL of those are genderless:>

As is loving a PERSON for their self quite apart from any other thing. May we all be so loved.

12. photoguy93

While it's true, this is definitely not a straight-only thing. I've seen some LGBT People in relationships that just puzzle the crap out of me!

13. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Definitely. My parents are a good example.

My dad is 49 and my mom is 48, and they got together when they were 15. Then, they were married for 20 years before divorcing last year. The last six or so years of them being married all they did was constantly fight, and it finally ended after my psycho mom cheated with one of the biggest pieces of shit on Earth (far more to the story, but I'm not gonna get into detail here). So yeah, some people do give up freedom and self-respect to stay married and, as a previous poster noted, they often do because of kids.

14. itsonlyrelative

Only reason my parents stayed together so long was because of the business owned together and their four kids.

15. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My boyfriends marriage lasted until her youngest child was 18 and had moved out.
    Then his ex divorced him, telling him she only stayed in the marriage until her youngest child moved out.