1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A decline in the number of opposite sex friends over time?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This could be for anyone on here, regardless of gender and regardless of sexual preference.

As time has marched on, have you parted ways with some opposite sex friends so that the proportion of same sex friends you have is higher?

Are some of the women on here losing their guy pals, for whatever reason, and hanging out more with women? Are some of the men on here losing the women they got along with real well at one time, and finding that they have more male friends?

If you care to share, what are some of the reasons for that?

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My ratio has stayed pretty much even over the past two decades, about 50/50. Sometimes, if a really close friend moves far away, it's tipped the balance for a while, but aside from that, in terms of time spent, my friends are more or less equally male/female.

3. AlamoCity

Not sure, I'm only 23 but in general I feel that I have maintained the status quo in the ratio of male to female friends I have had. That said, I feel I have more male friends than female ones and that probably can tip the odds so that in the future, counting attrition and addition of friends, the mixture will probably become more homogenous (gender-wise).

4. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I've never had any female friends. I get along so much better with guys. =)

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tend not to look at the ratio and be friends with every person I meet so yeah I do not to look at the numbers often but if I can make a guess: It's about 55 (male) 45 (female). As for the cause of decline nor do I really care, I'm just grateful for friends :grin:

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have seen a similar thing happen to me. When I was in elementary school, most of my friends were girls, but as I grew up, we drifted apart to the point that now I have a lot of male friends. I think the problem is that as we got older, my girl friends were more into "girly" things and attracting boys. Also, as I realized I was gay but still in the closet, I became more "straight-acting." But, I never had a big skew for one gender because most of my friends came from specific shared groups like those from clubs, band/orchestra, or honors students. I guess I seemed non-threatening to guys and a "nice guy" to girls.

7. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. I have more female friends now than ever. I have always had female friends. I married my best friend when I was 22 we had known each other since right after she was born (our moms were best friends). We split up when I was 24 and i havnt really seen her in 7 years i would still consider pretending to be straight to be with her (i wouldnt but would i would think about it pretty hard). She was jealous of my best friend when we started dating because she was a pretty girl. My current best friend and i like going out and we make great "wingmen" for each other. We see a cute guy and one of us approach and starts flirting if i come over and they are straight or she approaches and they are gay then we're like " thats cool have you met my friend (name)". I have many more female friends but she is my favorite to go out with.

8. Nikky DoUrden

Can't decline lower than 0 ...
    I never felt comfortable near girls, but I don't have problems talking to girls over the internet like in video games (I think girls playing video girls are SO cool!!!)

9. thekillingmoon

I wouldn't mind having guy friends, it's just guys are never interested in being friends with me. They only show interest in me when they want something more than friendship. And I haven't met any gay guys yet.

To be honest I don't have much in common with women a lot of the time. I rarely meet women who play computer games in their spare time or watch anime.

10. Colours

The ratio for me is pretty much even. Maybe not 50/50 but close enough.

11. biggayguy

I seem to have more gal pals now than ever. I think it has something to do with getting manicures and chatting with the ladies while we are waiting. I think the other gay guys are closeted and it scares them to talk to me.

12. EvilRegal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never had very many male friends except when I was very young. The only male friends I have now are on the net. Then again I have very few friends in real life anyway. Not all that sociable.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read your whole post, resu. Same thing with me. I had more girl friends when in elementary school than guys, but still had guy friends. It probably ran about 60:40 (girl:boy, guessing). As I went through puberty and grew up, both physically and emotionally, I felt more at ease hanging out with guys by not having to limit what I said and being more like them, except for being clueless about sports. By college, it probably tilted more toward men (about 70:30). Add to that my looking back and thinking about some insulting things women friends had said, having some women who were friends because they liked me more than platonically, and, in one case, having a friend I would have gladly kept had her husband, from another culture, not called me up and threatened me (it was more ridiculous and funny than anything else). Any snide comments from guys came from guys who were not and would never be friends. I've also found another weird dynamic, and it has only played out a few times. I can think of 2 women who had major boundary issues, and not sexually, but with intrusiveness on general life issues. Both of them, in retrospect, have low(er) self-esteem. I find that if you give someone with low esteem an inroad into your life, they think something must also be wrong with you and can trespass. That's a theory I have. I get rid of people who trespass sooner than later.

#13 Tightrope, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  14. freeskies

I am most comfortable with girls more than guys :icon_bigg So i have more girl-friends than guy friends. But in some aspects guy friends/roomies are better off because its easy to live together without having to worry about organizing. When you are with girls, emotions are all over the place, but not with guys, guys just "don't care"!!! (!)

15. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sort of 50/50, always been. Currently most of my friends happen to be girls, but it's really more just coincedence than anything. I think perhaps because I'm genderqueer I tend to understand and hang out with both guys and girls, y'know?

16. girlonfire

I haven't lost guy friends, I just haven't really met any guys that I want to be friends with in my school either. I went to the same school from pre-K to 8th grade and switched to a different school in 9th grade. I'm still only friends with the same few guys there.

17. timo

It's pretty much even, and has been for years.