1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the future scare you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GArchi1992, Jan 2, 2014.

1. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So today, I've been analysing everything in my head, and I've come to the conclusion that however exciting the future may seem, it's absolutely petrifying.

Do you feel the same, or are you looking forward to seeing what the future holds?

2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know what you mean. I can never think about the future without catastrophising it in some way. I've just come to the conclusion I don't particularly like the unknown. :slight_smile:

As much as I love the new year celebrations, the clock striking midnight always plays into the apprehensions I have about the year ahead. I really liked 2013, whereas this year is going to have considerable challenges to face that tap into that fear of the unknown that I have, so I really wasn't excited for 2014 to finally arrive. >.<

3. AKTodd

I've always been one to look forward to the future. It holds few/no fears for me because I've learned from experience that I can survive, or even thrive, as the future happens.

Todd

4. Simple Thoughts

I'm terrified of the future, but also hopeful for it.

Terrified because I've always had this fear that I'll fail if I try to do anything, and it's caused me to hold back so much in life. I'm hopeful these days though, I've realized a lot of things, and I'm ready to really face the world and put my best effort out there and I feel like things will work out ^.^

5. Nick07

I wish I knew how to do that.

6. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

I would not say it scares me like "Boo!", but I would say that I am curious, and perhaps a little nervous about where I am going in life.

7. Hexagon

I'm curious about the future, but I won't deny that it terrifies me. Both my personal future, and humanity's future. It all seems so bleak, and the prospect of success and happiness unrealistic. What I am most afraid of, honestly, is that life will be as meaningless as it seems.

#7 Hexagon, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  8. Mace

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Know the feeling, but Winston Churchill once said during one of the bleakest periods in human history: "When you are going through hell, keep on going!"

9. Hexagon

Churchill was a racist bastard, guilty of genocide. I try not to accept wisdom from him.

10. Beware Of You

Yes it terrifies me.

Part of me doesn't want to have a future...

11. Mace

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Your description of the man is spot on, but just for once, he was right.:icon_wink

12. Hexagon

Perhaps. I'd rather accept wisdom from someone less objectionable, though. I take particular pleasure in loathing my country's national heroes.

13. Mace

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know, self mockery is Britain's national sport. And that makes you Brits so much more fun, than us, stiff, Continentals. Anyway, have a good one.

14. Hexagon

Really, I think they're better at making themselves worthy of mockery.

15. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The near future scares me, as I'll be trading financial comfort for elimination of family drama. I'm going to have to accept that I can never ask them for anything again to get rid of depression and angst about going home for the holidays.

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The future doesn't scare me, per se. It does strongly encourage me to be prepared though, which is almost the same thing. I hope whatever bad things are in store for the world are not overwhelming.

17. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

It scares me very much

18. anonomous

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ya way,i hate the idea of the futre.i just want the world to stay put so that i can live year eight summer term for the rest of my life. im terrified.

19. The future has the potential to be better, which gives me some hope, but I'm afraid I'll screw everything up.

20. AKTodd

I wish I could just give you a magic recipe for how to do it. But like I said, a lot of it comes from (hard) experience. Which may or may not be tied to age since I don't know if you're older or younger than me. The avg age on this thread so far is about half mine - so maybe most of the posters are currently going through the stuff that builds the experience and the confidence that comes with getting through it? Although a lot of what I went through went down in HS rather than college or college age.

Part of it is sheer stubbornness - I don't give up easy and if I do it's usually to just shift direction and approach and look to a Plan B (or C or D - eventually something works).

Part of it is...nihilism? Although that doesn't quite feel right. I've never known a time in my life when I didn't think existence was totally meaningless and without purpose or value. So that means I get to set my own purpose and values and impose them on existence, or at least my little corner of it. What would that be called?

Beyond that, I'm a pretty strong optimist - yes, there are bad things going on in the world. But that's always been happening. And there are lots of good things going on too. And over the long haul, the good seems to be gaining ground.

Anyway.

Todd