1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wrong reasons to like me?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Fan of Tessen, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Fan of Tessen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would say that about 95% of my coworkers are nice and all treat me well (Even the mean ones kinda like me…) For the most part they try to help me when I have questions and stuff. They also seem to feel comfortable telling me their stories or gossip. But from what I’ve been told people only seem to like me because I’m either too nice, or because I’m quiet. I’m not too sure how I feel about that, I feel like there are much more important reasons to like me.

Sure I’m an overall quiet person who keeps to himself and doesn’t really speak to anyone unless spoken to… then I can really talk… but I find that people tend to talk more about themselves (a lot) but don’t really take the time to get to know me… And It’s not like I haven’t tried in fact just the other day I was showing one of my guy coworkers my artwork on my phone. There’s also two other people I've had the chance to talk about myself to.

So have you ever felt like there are people who like you for the wrong reasons?

Is there even a wrong reason to like someone?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There ARE wrong reasons to like someone, I don't think the two you named are though.

Having said that, if they appear to be abusing either of those traits - using you as a sounding board for their ideas and not really caring about you - that is a bad thing certainly!

What happens if you try and talk to them about you?

3. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

Beat me to it. I was going to the same thing. Don't be a sound board for other people to talk at.

4. Mace

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Somehow, I get the impression that you don't feel connected with your coworkers, right? How long are you in this job, and how many coworkers are there?

When you started fairly recently, just give it some time, BUT, continue to show more of yourself, as you did when you showed them your artwork. Before people can decide if they like or dislike you, they need to get to really know you first. I realize, being quiet by nature does not make opening up easier. Talking about things you are really enthousiastic about makes that a little easier. Of course, there will always be people who are only full of themselves. But not everybody is that way, really

In case you already work there for a longer period, you have two options. Either you leave it as it is and learn to live with the shallow relationship you have with your coworkers, or you move on and try to find a working environment which better matches what you looking for.

Finally, one word of advice. You' re too young being unhappy in your workplace. Work is a big part of your life. Quiet or outspoken, everybody deserves a working place were you feel comfortable with who you are.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

5. Hexagon

I can understand what you mean. I don't think they are precisely the wrong reasons to like you, but they are rather generic ones. Its hard when people don't appreciate the qualities you're actually proud of.

6. Fan of Tessen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @ElliaOtaku
    Sound board!? ha ha gotta remember that one, and no I wouldn’t say that they’re taking advantage or anything like that… tho I think one person tried but I’m smarter than that… lol I’m a hard worker but I’ll be damned if they make me work while another slacks…
    At least on a brighter note there are at least two people that I’ve gotten to talk to about myself and that went pretty well…

@Mace
    I have been in this job for about 3 months now so yeah I’m fairly new. There’s a good amount of workers but by now we all know of each other. I’m a very patient person (as I’ve also been told) so taking my time getting to know people will be easy enough for me.
    I wouldn’t exactly say I’m unhappy cause like I said all my coworkers like me and treat me nicely…tho the only thing that can upset me is the customers (I work in retail at a craft store) they can sometimes be a little hostile (believe it or not)… This isn’t a permanent job for me, just a stepping stone to earn some money…
    Thanks for taking the time to read and write!

@Hexagon
    Yeah exactly…