1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double standard

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Jan 3, 2014.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know this should not bother me and I am not anti social but it annoys when people who love and support gay people but yet they condone homophobia from their straight guy friends. I have this cousin and her sister in law my cousins wife who have all these friends that are homophobic and they condone everything they say. I understand free speech but how can that support us condone such language. I'm such a liberal.

2. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's the eternal question. Should people who strive for tolerance tolerate intolerance? I say love the person, but hate the act. If someone is a intolerant person you can still tolerate them, but you shouldn't tolerate when they are intolerant.

Living where I live, I know a few intolerant people. When they say something racist or homophobic or in some other way intolerant, I shake my head and say "No not OK" Then I go on being their friend.

3. Simple Thoughts

"I don't like what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it" I think at some point through media or just people you've actually met you've heard some version of that statement before.

I really and truly believe that. I don't think we should encourage or support homophobia, but if we start trying to force people to believe what we want them to believe how are we any better than them?

4. Hexagon

This, of course. But I also freely exercise my right to call them a homophobic asshole and stop being friends with them. Freedom of speech doesn't mean we ignore it, just that the government doesn't silence them.

5. Simple Thoughts

Exactly! I completely agree with what you just said.

That's why the 'don't encourage or support' part was there. What I was saying is that you can't make people believe things you can only offer a voice of contention.

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great responses. I am a radical liberal who believes that anyone they support gay rights should confront homophobia but that would be selfish of me wouldn't it!

7. Simple Thoughts

I think that when you hear something homophobic you should stand up and speak against such hateful speech. You don't have to force anyone into anything, just offer a voice of love to challenge their hate speech :slight_smile:

8. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm relatively OK with it as long as they don't try to excuse it by using a religious text and they recognise my right to call them an arse afterwards.

9. Saint Otaku

While freedom of speech is important, I wouldn't let this prevent any of us from calling out someone on their homophobia. Homophobia, and similar attitudes, is not mere expression -- it is dangerous discrimination. Expression should not be tolerated when it is discriminatory and/or harmful to others. That is what homophobic people must learn.

10. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate to stereotype but republicans who support gay rights are more likely to accept other people's opinion no matter how hateful they are. For example my mom leans republican cause of abortion and no matter how hateful someone's opinion is she respects their opinion and does not attack it. It annoys me and my dad who are staunch democrats but we just deal with it.

11. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Freedom of speech is what lets us call people out on homophobia.

12. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think of it this we can simply be fired for being gay in several states and Phil Robertson can say whatever he wants on his show and in public and not be fired for it. Something straight people hardly ever think about.

13. Saint Otaku

Indeed, pointing out how most people's idea of "freedom of speech" itself is a double standard. They can dish it out but hardly ever can they take it :dry:

14. Simple Thoughts

Agreed, which is why we need to break the double standards of free speech and give everyone a voice :slight_smile:

15. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here is the thing I will support my right to defend myself against homophobia until all glbt people have their rights all of them than ill let homophobes say what they in their hole they dug themselves in.

16. Simple Thoughts

I don't think you should ever refrain from calling people out on their hate speech so please do so :slight_smile:

17. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Racist and bigoted hate speech is protected under the 1st amendment.
    I.E. "That's so gay, gays are stupid" is protected. We don't have to like it but that's the facts in the US.

"Fighting words" used to incite violence against others and thus violating others 14th amendment rights is not protected. "Let's burn all the (insert group name here)!" (a very watered down example) is however not protected because it calls for violence against others.

18. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Free speech is only so the government can't punish you for stating a opinion. A private company can fire someone for hate speech because they are not a government company. I will not respect anyone's right to be a bigot until all people have a equal rights. My radical opinion!

19. thisisawug

With rights come responsibilities - while free speech is of course a right, with it comes a responsibility to not deliberately say things to harm or offend others. If people are expressing hateful opinions, we equally have a right to ask them to stop or to try and explain why what they have said is not ok.

20. Simple Thoughts

^ This.