1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nature

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Hexagon

Might sound like a strange question, but does anyone else have a particular affinity for nature? Go out of their way to get some time outside of civilisation, start to miss it if they can't?

2. AlamoCity

I love nature. Going out on a secluded portion of a lake and casting a reel is pretty relaxing. Plus, it's nice to cook what you catch next to a serene lake. Going hiking or trail running is very relaxing too.

I'd really like to have a cabin in the woods one day and spend vacations/ holidays there with a spouse and just live away from it all. Though in a way, it's also a bit uncomfortable because when you're in nature, you don't have the little distractions that civil life allows you to fill the voids you have and have time to think clearly of all that matters, if that makes sense.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know it...if I wasn't so sure I'd die almost immediately, I'd live out in the woods somewhere!

4. Hexagon

It makes perfect sense, I have the same. I like to use the time to become briefly self-aware.

It just makes me sad, you know. I haven't left cities and towns for years, except in trains.

5. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm. I wouldn't say I have an "affinity" for nature, but I do sometimes get the urge to just go for a walk in the woods and get lost. Luckily I live in a fairly semi-rural area already, but I do really like going out for walks while listening to some music when the mood takes me. I like the isolation and the opportunity for reflection, especially if I'm sad. I've even gone for walks in the dark before, I just like the ability to feel as though I'm the only person around and it's just me, my music and my thoughts for hundreds of metres around. I get the feeling you're suggesting, I only seem to get it in short bursts though.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rarely when I'm in Australia (which is basically always). I like the European and Asian parks in Canberra, but Australian nature's too harsh for me. In Finland and Sweden I feel very comfortable with nature and love walking through woods, rowing/swimming at lakes and being in my family's summer cottages in the middle of nowhere. It's really relaxing to be around nature.

As long as I'm not too out of touch with civilisation I'm fine. But I can't feel comfortable when there's no nature in a city, either.

7. justjade

Nature is awesome! I wish it was warmer so I could go outside and enjoy it.

8. musicrebel

I really love nature. I love being outside--getting the new fresh air in my lungs and soaking in the sight around me. If I could, I'd go build a house by a river and live there.
    I'll do anything to step outside, like getting the mail or pulling out the garbage can for the garbage man to pick up. I like to escape from civilization every once in a while.

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nature is at its best when it awakens in me a certain wildness, the same wildness that our civilization so cussedly wants to beat out of us.

10. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nature rocks! I love, love, LOVE mountains and forests. I used to teach outdoor education. The forest and hills were my classroom and my home. (I lived in a house but there were trails right outside my front door.) I also had the opportunity to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. Incredible experience that I think about every day. I dream of visiting so many more wild places. Sognefjord, Norway; Exploring the Sierra Nevada on the John Muir Trail, spending a year in New Zealand. Nature is the only true love in my life at the moment.

11. Rainbowlight

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I love Nature. Sometimes I wish I was an elf or a Na'vi. Watching "Avatar" made me wish that the Tree of Souls were real. Hearing Nature's voice is wonderful.

12. Silver Sparrow

I do like nature. SOmetimes I just have to get out of the house.

13. AKTodd

Hm. I grew up in Alaska with nature to the eyebrows. Moose used to wander through the schoolyard, a caribou herd hung out around our house one winter. Wolves came in and stood on top of our goat barn while we were away one day (another time a pack came in and took all but one of my brothers dogs, another time wolves took one of my dad's dogs before my mom married him). A bear came in one summer and killed and partially ate one of the goats.

We didn't have any electricity or TV until I was in Junior HS (ok, a small generator for pumping water and grinding grain, it was mostly unused) and didn't have commercial electricity until my junior or senior year in HS (before that the juice came from the windmill we bought and put up - DC current runs hot and will burn or kill you if you aren't careful - watched it punch a hole in a 55 gallon drum one time). We showered once a week whether we needed it or not. Our second bathroom was an outhouse.

One summer we spent two weeks camping on a mountain, my parents, my little sister and myself all living in a tent and hiking to a new spot every other day or so. Plus a goat that we brought along for fresh milk.

I've basically had all the nature I care to deal with, except for short visits and that's mainly to see family. I like cities, thanks.

Todd

14. Hexagon

This, completely.

15. Knight Pan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love nature. I try to get out whenever I can and walk or ride my bike to the (very small) wildlife preserve that has an entrance about a half mile away from my house and if I'm not up to that I walk to the park and have a normal spot that I sit in where no one ever bothers me. I love how quiet it seems but when you open up your ears and senses and just listen you can hear all the life that goes on. It makes me sad whenever it snows and I can't go and sit for hours without freezing to death even though I love the snow and how it crunches and seems to muffles the sounds of human civilization. Nature is one of the few things that keeps me alive and sane and without it, there would be very little purpose in my life.

16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love nature so much, I became a scientist. I was lucky to grow up in a suburban neighborhood with a fairly large creek that ran through it. I spent a lot of time there, checking out all the animals. My mom has a degree in botany, so we would sometimes go out to collect different leaves to press and dry for collection.

I love that my university is on the side of a mountain, where there are trails just above the buildings. It's great to see the valley and the lake below, with mountains all around. Sadly, I haven't been out much since I don't have a car. Now that I'm more settled, I think I'll have more time to plan.

17. Johneh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love long walks in the woods and parks around here. That's the good thing about where I live. I live right beside the sea, but ten minutes one way and you are in the middle of nature, then 30 minutes the other way and you are in the city. :slight_smile:

Just to sit in a quiet spot so you can hear the wildlife is SO relaxing to me.

18. Saint Otaku

I love nature, it's very tasty.

Also I live amongst nature, so I'm used, to if a bit bored, of it. Still, it manages to fill me with awe at times -- "Thanks for sending that hummingbird to land on my finger, Nature!"

19. Gallatin

Absolutely, I love nature and the outdoors. I should explore more than I do, but still, I really like it. It's strange - not only do I find myself at great peace when surrounded by nature, but I always feel so alive at the same time.

20. burg

#20 burg, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014