1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update on "pregnant man"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Jun 25, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Here is a recent story on Thomas Beatie who lives in my area.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/fashion/22pregnant.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=style

I recently e-mailed Thomas and he said he was doing great. One of my PFLAG friends talked with Nancy at Pride and she said things have been tough for them. They constantly have paparazzi outside their home. They had to have their windows in their car tinted and they have received death threats. The baby is due next week. I'm sure the media frenzy is going to get worse as the delivery date approaches. Send them good thoughts. They are going to need it!

2. gabriel1

gabriel1 Guest

Death threats? Oy! Just because someone does not fit the society definition of "normal"? They are in my thoughts.

3. Hoppip

It's interesting how gender is so malliable anatomically, but societally, gender is completely concrete.

Hmm...

Nature > Society

I'm so excited for him! I hope that he lives safely and happily. I don't see why people don't have better things to do with their time then harass him. Pha. They annoy me.

4. ccdd

ccdd Guest

That is dreadful that he has received death threats! Why?? What has he done?? I wish people would leave him alone and not treat him like some freak show!

If you email him again tell him that you know someone in the UK who along with all her friends is rooting for him and wishes everyone would leave him and his wife alone! Tell him that from across the Atlantic we send him our very best wishes!

5. LOVEjames

I think Thomas Beatie has been one of the greatest people ever. I've followed his story pretty much since I heard about it, and I've been rooting for him the entire way. If you e-mail him again, give him some love from Seattle. :slight_smile:

6. Beebo

He is changing the world. Someone is bound to hate him.

He is a revolutionary.

7. Alexander

Becky. You know him? That ROCKS. :grin:

QFT.

8. crimsonarcher

I hope all goes well for him!

9. sexyalex

oooh, has anyone heard of that little girl who was born with 8 limbs like a spider and they worship her to be a hindu godess; how comes no one wants to kill that little freakshow but they wanna kill a pregnant man's baby!

I mean. com'on people...joy to the world?! :grin:

10. lcr guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That sucks about the death threats.

The whole situation seems odd to me though. Did he stop taking his hormones during this whole pregnancy? I'd be really concerned for the baby if he hadn't.

And with all due respect to him though, as the birth mother, it's a little hard to deny his/her womanhood so advertizing him/herself as a "pregnant man" is a little disingenuous. You can't have your cake and eat it too, as they say.

11. SamAlex728

He is only changing the world by being so brave and going public. Many people can do what he did. Maybe people have, they just didn't go public. You don't have to have female organs removed to be considered a man. (Although, you shouldn't even need to appear as a man to be considered a man if that is how you feel.) As it said, a lot of transmen keep their female organs, and live as men, as they should, with female genitalia, and have the ability to become pregnant. So, no, he isn't a revolutionary, just the bravest person I've ever heard of.

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes, he stopped taking his hormones long before the pregnancy and he is legally a man.

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Now Alex, yes I've heard of that little girl and seen her and watched the miraculous surgery that the doctors performed on her. It is unfair to call her a "freakshow". How would you feel if she were your child?

14. musicgirl112233

I hope everything goes ok for him and the baby.

15. Micah

Questioning a transexuals sex (and a transgender's gender) undermines everything that IS transexual/genderism. It's a bit like saying "Well you're gay, but there's no denying you have an innate attraction towards women that you'll never get rid of".

Sorry to use your quote as an example but I thought it should be clear. He is a man, in mind and in body, (he has a penis).

16. lcr guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's a relief about the hormones. I still don't agree about being able to jump the gender fence repeatedly like that, and using but denying his female body functions, but I guess we'll just disagree on that point. :icon_bigg

17. lcr guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    But it seems that through embracing his female body and engaging in the most defining female act of pregnacy, he himself undermined his trans man gender at the get go. So I'm also concerned for the pregnant party here too... Yes he chose to do it, but partaking in the fundamental function of women in the world--being mother to the human race--he must as before his initial transition embrace that which makes him a woman and a "she". In fact, more so than ever before.

It's nice to keep the pregnancy "all in the family" and that shows some good values and dedication but saying the birth mother is a pregnant man is actually insulting to women, and undermines their identities. Shouldn't we consider their identities too?

So is it such a leap for someone to question his gender, or not be comfortable with him calling himself a pregnant man, when he himself was the one who flip flopped his gender again?

18. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Nancy is unable to have children and isn't the ability to have a child a basic human right? I mean he the organs, why not?

19. lcr guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nancy is unable to have children and isn't the ability to have a child a basic human right? I mean he the organs, why not?[/QUOTE]

I never said he didn't have a right or wasn't allowed. The ability to have a child is obviously a human right, and duty, there's no question there. But the ability to make a child, and carry it to term is one of the basic rights of women. Men don't have that right. So it comes down to in this case, using women, using their nature, but in function only. It's sort of a like a one night stand: take what you want of the woman, and leave the rest, it causes harm to the female gender and trivializes what it means to be a woman.

20. EthanS

EthanS Guest

soo.. is the baby his?? does he have a ovary?? lol whos gonna breast feed the baby?