1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rainbow Bread!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SimpleMan, Jan 3, 2014.

1. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was looking up something food related on YouTube and came across this woman's channel. I noticed her video about how to make rainbow bread. I also noticed she has some other rainbow recipes including cakes, cookies, and fudge!

I may try the bread recipe this weekend as I am likely to be stuck in my apartment. We're supposed to get 12-16 inches of snow starting late Saturday night. Will give me something to do!

How To Make Rainbow Bread - with yoyomax12 - YouTube

2. OhSOCurious

Sounds like a great idea :grin: I love to bake, mind if i join ^_^

3. Hexagon

Awesome. I may have to try this. One thing though... there was egg in it. Why put egg into bread?

4. Argentum

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Lol, I'm gonna do this!

5. Knight Pan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [/COLOR]
    What Eggs Do in Yeast Bread | eHow

Egg Yolks
    Egg yolks act as emulsifiers
    Egg yolks are the fat in the egg and act as a bridge between other ingredients in bread, allowing other fats to combine with moisture. Fats can be natural fat in the flour or added in the form of oil, shortening or butter. Without this emulsifying action, the yeast breads dry out very quickly because the moisture in them has not been linked to the fats baked in the bread.

Egg yolks combined with fat in a yeast bread tenderize the protein present in wheat flour. This protein forms gluten during kneading, which makes the bread chewy. Reducing the amount of gluten formed creates a softer, more tender bread. When the yolks bind to the protein in the flour, they prevent water from combining with it to form gluten. The result, less gluten, and a more tender loaf of bread. Many yeast breads with egg yolks added also have sugar to further soften the texture, producing a cake-like concoction. Examples of egg breads include brioche and challah.

Egg Whites
    Egg whites help the bread to rise, dry and stay together
    Egg whites do not have the emulsifying power of yolks. Instead, egg whites dry bread out to create a crisper texture. This occurs when the proteins in the egg whites cook as the bread bakes. Each protein, when raw, resembles a single spring. Mixing the bread dough unravels these springs, but when the bread bakes in the oven, the springs become entangled with each other. Between these entangled proteins, water hides, but as the bread keeps baking, the proteins tangle even tighter, and the water is pushed out and into the oven as steam. This loss of moisture dries out the bread.
    Egg whites also act to help leaven the bread, especially if they have air whipped into them before adding them to the bread dough. The protein structure of egg whites traps air bubbles in it, and when they are mixed into the bread dough, those bubbles incorporate into the bread's structure. By helping the dough hold in more air, egg whites help the bread to rise.

Whole Eggs
    Whole eggs contribute to the texture of yeast breads
    With eggs, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Whole eggs, like whites, help to bind ingredients and assist in rising and drying, but they also add strength to the bread. Breads made with whole eggs perform best in recipes that require soaking the bread, such as stuffing, French toast and bread pudding. Without whole eggs, the bread would melt in the soaking liquid. Adding several whole eggs to a yeast bread opens the structure of the bread so that there are larger holes in the structure. These holes contain air, which helps to lift the bread.

6. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We could have an EC baking party! :slight_smile:

7. Xochipilli

Whoa. :confused:
    Very neat. I haven't made bread in a long time.
    Maybe I should present this loaf to my parents. Let them draw their own conclusions.

8. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've made breads without eggs. It can be done, no worries.