1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between like and care

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sitri, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Sitri

This is something that has been on my mind a lot. The idea that liking somebody is different from caring about them. I know they have completely separate definitions, but for me, there cannot be one without the other. I started thinking this during one of my paranoid panic attacks"Nobody likes me. Nobody cares about me." when I realized those were different. Am I weird in not separating these ideas? Or is even possible to have one without the other? Just some thoughts I've been chewing on.

2. Hexagon

It happens all the time, I think. Particularly with family relationships. However, I don't think its uncommon not to realise there is a difference.

3. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There can definitely be one without the other. A personal example for me would be someone like... my grandpa. I don't like him at all, because he's so rude and only seems to think of himself. At the same time, I care about him, because he's my family and I don't want to see him going through the pain he currently has.

4. Nikky DoUrden

Depends how u define 'like' and 'care'.
    Take a random person in the world.
    Do you like him ?
    Do you care for him ?
    Whats the difference ?

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well they are totally different things...but sometimes they come together, and you are probably most aware of them when you notice them at the same time.

I like my friends, and I care about them. I notice this a lot.

I LIKE that one guy I met a few times who was friends with that other guy, but I don't care about him because I have no connection to him even though he was a nice guy.

I CARE about a lot of the people I talk to on EC because they come here and are worried, but I don't necessarily like all of them...I mean usually I do, but still.

My point is you can have one without the other!