1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you Camp butch or neither?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RawringTiger, Jan 4, 2014.

1. RawringTiger

I know this may be weird to ask but are you Camp, Butch or neither?

The reason I'm asking this is because My cousins from half across the country came and visited me and says why are you acting camp?

I said I don't know I just do.

He said,'You choose to act camp.'

I just shrugged my shoulders and went onto another topic.

So another question as well is being camp or butch a choice?

(I was off the forums for a while busy with stuff but im back so Hai!)

2. Nikky DoUrden

What is 'camp' ?
    I think I know what is butch ("manly" ?) so I guess camp is the opposite ? :confused:

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, in the sense that I suppose you choose to do what feels natural as opposed to something else, but that's about as close to a choice as it gets...

You CAN choose to be camp, some people do, others it just happens to come to them...

5. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I'm more complex than that, so neither.

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I have no idea what any of these are. I only heard of butch so I assume masculinity.
    I am me, I'm really not concerned if I'm butch or camp or neither. I really just don't give a crap.

7. RawringTiger

Camp is another word for flaming

8. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Um well I love camp as an aesthetic.

But I don't think describing someone as "camp" is a synonym for describing someone as "flamboyant" or "flaming", which is what I think the OP question is asking.

Camp is way too broad a term, you don't have to be flaming to be camp. Camp just kinda means there's a degree of absurdity and ridiculousness to your style as a person that you're self-aware of and embrace.

I consider myself 'campy' based on some of the ridiculous, over-the-top outfits I wear and my absurd personality. I say some crazy and outlandish things, because that's just who I am, these are the kinds of thoughts that pop into my head. I'm a 'camp' individual.

But I'm not a limp-wristed, high-pitched voice stereotypical flaming gay guy.

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Neither. I've always dressed in my own odd-ball way, but so do a ton of other straight males around here in Baltimore's Hipster HQ Zone, and throughout my life...as a teenage punk-rock sort and long after. I've never thought dressing in a particularly expressive way means a person is campy...I tend not to like either term. If people think I'm campy, fine, but mainly, they just think I'm in my own 'lil world, which is a pretty crazy place.

10. Motto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm pretty camp for the most part, but around some people, I butch it up. So, I guess I would say that I am more naturally campy, but those are categories that I don't feel like fit me 100% either way. :slight_smile:

11. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I think dressing in an unusual, over-the-top way is inherently campy, but doesn't necessarily mean a person is even gay, never mind flaming.

When I go out on an ordinary day dressed like Che Guevara (complete with red star beret), I consider myself pretty campy. I mean it's absurd, and I'm self-aware that it's absurd. But a lot of people (most straight people, in fact) are not sophisticated enough to even detect or understand camp, so they'll just think I'm a crazy person.

12. monotone

You should post a photo of yourself in that outfit.

13. Motto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That just sounds like so much fun. I love it. :lol:

14. Colours

Neither. I'm not all that masculine as I do have some feminine traits, but since not many people can tell I'm gay and everyone calls me "a normal gay person" as in not being overly camp, I guess it's safe to say I'm neither.

Butch is more of a term used for lesbians though isn't it? I feel like it's not really a word to be used on men. No offense to lesbians or anything but yeah.

15. Hexagon

16. binda94

butch everyone swears i should be a guy hell even my friends treat my like a lad like a fist bump instead of a hug when i buy clothes i get them in the guys section coz they're not girly and look better same with movies hate anything girly

17. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Haha alright by special request, I just uploaded the few pics I was able to find of me in that outfit. I had long hair back then, so the Che beret worked with me. I've tried wearing it with my short hair and it just doesn't look the same. (Also, I'm incapable of growing a beard.)

I was actually studying abroad in Moscow, Russia at the time, I just went out walking the streets of Moscow dressed as Che. It wasn't like a full Che Guevara uniform or anything, it was a Che beret with a black-and-red anarchist t-shirt and red Palestinian keffiyeh scarf, and my arms are covered in red and black bracelets, finished off with black skinny jeans and red Converse lol.

Actually that day was a class trip to Kolomenskoye, where we re-enacted a traditional 18th century royal Russian wedding; dressed as an anarchist Che, I was dancing with noblewomen dressed in fancy frilly 18th century dresses in a royal wedding dance lol.

You can find the 3 pics in the new 'Campy Che in Moscow' album I made. The order always gets messed up with my albums though....Click the middle pic first and then go forward from there.

I definitely considered that a clear episode of 'camp' in my life. :grin:

18. Daydream Harp

More butch than I am comfortable with, I will say that much. Though I suspect most of that comes for all the years of being trained into being a "hardened man" and whatnot, I used to be much less butch as a kid.

19. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Such masculine. Much butch.
    On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being camp and 10 being butch, I'm a ⑨.
    I'd say I'm a 9 because I don't really look the part yet, and I like a few feminine things.
    Then again, real men wear pink.

#19 An Gentleman, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  20. edgy

edgy Guest

i want to say butch in a sense that i don't act like a lipstick chick, even though my body's not covered in hair and i don't have bulging muscles. I think it can be a nurture and can be natural. Someone can be more influenced by a "butch" person (eg. dad) or more influenced by a "camp-ish" person (eg. mom). Then you can be the only boy in the family and you turn out to be more masculine than your grampa.