1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random - I need a cashier or checkout person to answer this

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Foxface, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Foxface

Ok this is random but I have GOT to figure this out before it drives me nuts

I need someone who has worked a register at like a store, gas station, whatever in the past few to several years. It needs to be a register that you make point of sale purchases on

confused yet? intrigued?

Here is my question

When I purchase something I use either my debit or credit card. When I look at the debit card machine it offers me those two choices (credit or debit)

I press the button and move on with the purchase. EVERY SINGLE TIME the cashier asks me if I am running debit or credit and he/she never presses anything.

WHAT is the purpose of asking me when I am just going to punch it in and tell the machine I am doing debit or credit?

I can see like if credit isn't working...ok I get that

but when that is not the case, why do they ask?

I know this is an absolutely BS thing to be annoyed about but I just don't get it

Thanks!

Foxface

2. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd like to know also. For a while at one store I was at, I needed to ask because I needed to punch it into the register. But if they never press anything, then I honestly don't understand.

I have the opposite issue - damn near every person to pull out a card for their purchases seems to want to tell me if they're running it debit or credit, even though they key it in themself. Which is somehow more confusing. Unless I guess they're used to register people asking?

3. Foxface

fair enough

what are you punching in and to what system? Is it a method of keeping track of how many debit vs credit cards are run?

Foxface

4. Data

Data Guest

I was a cashier, but it didn't matter for our system as I think we ran all charges as a credit. I swiped their card and charged it, unlike when you use a pinpad.

I think they ask just as a courtesy. I try to run my card as credit at gas stations just in case I have an issue. They may need to see an ID if you choose debit or credit.

So my cashier experience doesn't help much. Sorry. :frowning2:

5. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't punched anything in in over 6 years, so I don't remember really. Any more I just push the "electronic tender" button and the customer does the rest. Sometimes I retain a little slip of receipt paper. But I don't see why "credit or debit" needs to be stated at all during the transaction, unless I'm supposed to be sorting slips, but that just seems like a futile task to me.

6. Bibliophile

I asked at my store because I had to punch in the last four of the card if it was credit and if it was debit it was all on the customer. I have no idea what the need to ask would be other then that.

7. BlueModern

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Could be a couple things. It may be to help you through the prompts if you get confused (it happens, a lot), it may be that they check ID on credit transactions, or they may want to know if they should be ready for cash back and if their till has enough to cover it or to let you know the limit.

8. Bibliophile

This pretty much covers it all really.

9. chivalrous

There are worse things then that foxface! like when you buy a whole lot of crap and then they ask you "is that all" and my immediate reaction is " no thats not all im hiding half my crap and you have to find it, What do you think!?!?" :tantrum:

10. Bibliophile

Do you know how many people I have seen have stuff under the cart or a family member still grabbing one last item? There is a really good reason we ask this. Try working retail for a bit and you'll understand.

11. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a cashier - and I've never had to ask. The closest is when a customer asks "do you accept credit?"

12. sammy1

Because we have magical powers and can put it to debit or credit by using just our minds! :badgrin: but no for real now, the debit machines I use don't ask if it is going to be a debit or credit transaction so I have to ask sometimes but mostly the customers tell me how they are going to pay right away send all I have to do is push one button to make either happen.

---------- Post added 5th Jan 2014 at 04:41 AM ----------

I sometimes ask that because people DO sometimes forget tiny items left in their cart and sometimes it helps them remember it and they say 'oh yah and this, sorry' and hands it to me. Had that happen several times before but I try to remember to look in each buggy afterwards to make sure I don't miss anything. So that is not just some stupid question we ask to annoy you! There is a reason behind it.

---------- Post added 5th Jan 2014 at 04:45 AM ----------

#12 sammy1, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  13. Simple Thoughts

I don't know about your cashier experience, but when I was working at Walmart we had to ask that on card users because there was a different way we had to run credit and debit on our end :slight_smile:

14. Hexagon

They never ask me. I just get out my debit and pay.