1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Backup Here

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheWalrus, Mar 20, 2007.

1. TheWalrus

2. Sleepless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He already doesn't have my vote. I always vote for the liberal candidate, even though they never win. Although, I think it's time for a change from the traditional Democrate/Republician, and liberals are starting to get a bit more forceful and active in recent elections.

If he ends up winning, I am going to seriously think about leaving the country. The last thing we need with the war, the current gay civil rights movements, and the general distrust of America in the international community is a conservative military general as president.

3. LorenzG1950

I was going to start a thread but here is my take on General Pace.

Here’s the deal. The top US Army general in an interview with the Chicago Tribune, accused gays of being “immoral” and compared gay behavior to adultery (which is a crime under military law).

Top general calls homosexuality 'immoral'By Aamer Madhani
    Tribune national correspondent

March 12, 2007, 10:47 PM CDT

Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Monday that he supports the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" ban on gays serving in the military because homosexual acts "are immoral," akin to a member of the armed forces conducting an adulterous affair with the spouse of another service member.

Responding to a question about a Clinton-era policy that is coming under renewed scrutiny amid fears of future U.S. troop shortages, Pace said the Pentagon should not "condone" immoral behavior by allowing gay soldiers to serve openly. He said his views were based on his personal "upbringing," in which he was taught that certain types of conduct are immoral.

"I believe homosexual acts between two individuals are immoral and that we should not condone immoral acts," Pace said in a wide-ranging discussion with Tribune editors and reporters in Chicago. "I do not believe the United States is well served by a policy that says it is OK to be immoral in any way.

"As an individual, I would not want [acceptance of gay behavior] to be our policy, just like I would not want it to be our policy that if we were to find out that so-and-so was sleeping with somebody else's wife, that we would just look the other way, which we do not. We prosecute that kind of immoral behavior," Pace said.

After seeing some letters in the Stars & Stripes military newspaper praising General Pace for his “morality” and courage, I just got fed up and wrote my own letter.

General Pace’s comments on homosexuality are disturbing in many respects. When a senior leader describes a sexual orientation as “immoral” and comparable to adultery, he criminalizes and discriminates against a minority from his own position of authority, setting a moralistic tone that is totally incongruent with the principles he has sworn to uphold. Military leaders are hardly the caretakers of our morals, nor should they be. Their personal opinions have no place in the media when those opinions are bigoted, discriminatory, and morally suspect in the 21st century. It is equally disturbing that one of our senior leaders is so narrow-minded and foolish enough to make derogatory comments in uniform as an official spokesperson. In this case, General Pace should have chosen “not to tell”. It raises the question whether persons with such a limited enlightenment on issues of sexual orientation are suitable to occupy senior leadership positions when they see fit to defame a large group of Soldiers (and civilians) who serve their country proudly.

I stand behind every word I said and chances are, the letter will be published worldwide with my name on it. Since I work for the US Army and am somewhat known, I fear that there might be some negative repercussions. We’ll see in a few days. I’m not worried about losing my job or anything like that. It’s just that I had not intended to come out this boldly in my rather conservative work climate. What the hell. It’s too late now. Wish me luck.

4. LorenzG1950

To Walrus, feel free to post my letter portion on the site from someone who works for the US Army. I'm not registered.:thumbsup:

5. Sleepless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Throughout the ages in every country, there has always been a certain camaraderie in the military. They're out there away from their wives/girlfriends/boyfriends/husbands, both homosexual and heterosexual, male and more recently female, and they are doing some scarey things. The only people they have to turn to for any support - be it moral, ethical, emotional or what have you - are their comrades.

In the military, I don't think there's anything wrong with seeking friendship, support, or even companionshop among those people you are so close to, and having to literally watch each other's back, that you begin to develop feelings. Some people might call it brotherhood, or sisterhood as the case may be, but the results are almost always the same: you become attached to these other people. Sharing their experiences, doubts, fears, and ultimately feelings is just being human.

Some people choose to act openly about these feelings, sometimes in sexual ways, and other times in a simple bond that is similiar in many ways to marriage. Being so close to each other for such a long time, you begin to develop bonds and affinities towads others of the same gender. Doing so, you find you can more easily relate to those of your sex than the opposite, which I don't find so terrible. It's only human nature to take the path of least resistance, and I do not think homosexuality is any different.

What the General calls immoral acts I call the greatest and most beautiful aspect of human compassion; companionship, be it man, woman, or animal.

You can use that, too, if you want Walrus, or I might damn well join that forum myself and give a piece of my mind.

wow, that was a little intense

6. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

*Proud breaks down door, finger-gun cocked and ready*
    *James Bond persona*
    *Proud then realises his mission requires signing his email up to yet another forum, which may spam him*
    *Backs out slowly, being sure to replace the door*

(Yes, that post was written in entirely action-text)

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If you want to sign up with no risk of being spammed, nip over to 10 Minute Mail for a fully working email address that will die after 10 mins. :wink:

8. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    To be honest coming from somebody who is going to be joining the British Army where such discrimination is now frowned upon. I think it's an outrage that somebody of his stature has the ordasity to speak out about a whole sexual orientation in such bold terms.

Granted, there are some problems that may come to face living in close quarters with other men, 24/7 and when they're uneducated about the gay community (with the common disconception that gay people want every single man in front of them). Homosexuality will never be accepted by all, but times have changed and so should the US army. Of research i've read in one of the quality newspapers I read, some 75% of soldiers asked, said that they would feel no different working along side homosexuals.

At the end of the day gay men and women in the armed forces can do just as good a job as straight men and women. Why do you think the UK has since legalised homosexuals serving in all its ranks? Why do you think they now have their own support group? Whereas the United States which you would have thought was a forerunner in modern civil rights is in fact still swaying by their 'don't ask don't tell rule'. That's all well and good just if it means people are still being ejected from an already dwindling army then perhaps things need to be rethought and some high ranking officers need to get over their own insecurities and stop being so bigotted.

P.S. love the idea of 10 min mail paul!!!

#8 Jamie, Mar 20, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  9. LorenzG1950

Just thought I would post an update. My letter was printed in Stars & Stripes. My commander made an indirect comment through my boss, saying that the letter was "journalistically well-written".

Yesterday I got a letter through the military postal system from an "admirer". There was a copy of my letter to the editor followed by:

"You lucky to have a job with the Americans.

Fucking Asshole

Homo"

Oh well:rolleyes: It's nice to know I got someone's attention. Sobering to realize how much hatred is out there. :icon_sad: