1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Congressmen Who Voted Against DOMA in 1996

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BryanM, Jan 5, 2014.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So as most of you know, this summer, the Supreme Court ruled in a 5-4 decision that Section III of the Defense of (Heterosexual) Marriage Act was indeed unconstitutional, and that withholding benefits to same sex couples is discriminatory. Back when this was passed in 1996, only 67 representatives and 14 senators voted against it. These people were truly ahead of their time. They did not choose their side simply because it was politically expedient, but because they truly believed in freedom and justice for ALL, not some. These are just some of the voices that spoke against DOMA.

[YOUTUBE]iGdOi7sCEro[/YOUTUBE]

Now, sections I and II of DOMA still stand, and Section II's death will be the penultimate end of the SSM debate, since it nullifies the full faith and credit clause in the US Constitution and allows states to invalidate same sex marriages performed in other states. After Section II dies, the only remaining part is the name of the bill, which is Section I, and the only remaining roadblock to full equality is a court decision that would make SSM legal in all 50 states.

#1 BryanM, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My grandfather's cousin was a Congressman from New York from 1977 until 2003, and I wondered how he voted on this. According to the Congressional record, he was one of a handful of members, mostly Democratic, who instead of outright voting no and taking a huge political risk, instead did not cast a vote as a way of saying no without actually saying no.

3. AlamoCity

I'm fine if they keep Section I, as long as Section II goes. Section I only names the act: "This Act may be cited as the 'Defense of Marriage Act.'"

They can keep that :grin:

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many democrats who were opposed to this bill but saw it as too big of a political risk didn't vote, that way they went with their conscience for not voting yes, and didn't damage their political careers by voting no, if they were in a conservative area. Gunderson was the only republican who voted no on this, he was outed as being gay two years earlier by a fellow colleague on the house floor. Independent Barney Frank also voted no on the bill. All of the people from my state of Missouri voted yes, except for William Lacy Clay Sr., who didn't vote as well.

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The joke in my house is that I'm the only real Democrat in a family of Republicans. My cousin twice removed was a Democrat, however he was staunchly anti-choice. You're not a real Democrat, IMO, if you don't support a woman's right to choose. (I would tell you who he is, but we have the same last name)

My grandfather was a big Reagan Republican, and in 1974 lost his bid for State Senate by 6 votes. He ran his own law firm and later became a Social Security/Disability judge.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad to see John Lewis was so passionate in his speech. He is truly a civil rights champion. I hate it when I see some blacks (and other minorities) speak out against gay marriage when they themselves used to be discriminated against just for their skin color, especially "anti-miscegenation" laws.