1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[A Letter] Dyslexia [To my future school]

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by InaRut, Jun 26, 2008.

1. InaRut

So assuming everything goes okay and that I actually do get into university, this is a letter I have sent (or am about to send shortly) that I had to write in order to get myself identified. Basically it's outlining my situation in terms of my Dyslexia. And since I thought it was pretty nice :slight_smile: I'm going to share it with you all :slight_smile:

To whom it may concern,

As a student who was diagnosed with dyslexia, it seemed that I was at the edge of desperation, with my fate already written out for me. There was doubt that I’d ever make it to university or even get through high school. But with the tools and training that have been given to me I can today say that I am ready and confident to take the next step in my education.

My laptop has been my greatest friend for helping me through my educational career. I can still remember in public school when my French teacher would comment on my “chicken scratch” of handwriting, but since given the option of a laptop that problem is no more. For tests, essays, or even note taking this electronic friend has been nothing but a blessing for me. Not only was it useful for school, but being “the kid with the laptop” also helped me in gaining some self confidence.

It always seemed that I would forever have a problem with my “b’s” and “d’s” my lefts and rights, and my before and after. Not to mention to be labelled continually as a dunce when it came to any kind of mathematical figuring. But thanks to coaching, some really great (and some bad) teachers, along with some not so enjoyable hours in rehearsal I think I’m doing alright. Well, except for the math part, but who wants to be an engineer anyway?

My dyslexia has been an obstacle and a gift to me. Although, in the past it has caused me some struggles, some frustrations, and some doubts I have to say I am pleased it has stopped me from being perfect. With this minor (what could be called) imperfection, I may not think like I am expected to think, but I’m happy to be this way. I have seen a perspective that some may never experience in their life. I may think something else, when someone wants me to think this, but understand the idea all the same; I’ll think duck when I’m meant to say “feather.” And although I may have this concept backwards, I would call that, “just perfect.”

-Phillip Sexbot
    Student number: 696969696969

2. Ty

Ty Guest

Aww thats lovely:slight_smile:

Brilliantly written Phil!

3. Tim

Tim

Wow, that's awesome. :slight_smile:

lol @ 69 at the end XD

4. sexyalex

Phil....

that was a cool letter but i am not sure what it's for. Is that your University application letter?:eusa_eh: If it was, you might wanna make a few ajustments dear. I love the humour and the honesty you have brought forward and for the course of study you wish to pursue i would say "yes, we've got winner".

However, your laptop as a friend...it's good to point out the fact your computer literate but i think it would be prudent if u actually have had built your writing skills. In collage, computers can be used for essays and SSDL(self supervised something something) tests but exams which usually counts for 50-60% of your average; u will not, WILL NOT be able to use computers so even if u wanna keep it. My advise to you as a friend is to pick up a pen and a peice of paper today and start scribbeling,writting, whatever:dry:; until it becomes literary acceptable :slight_smile:(*hug*)

i do hope that i diddn't just make an ass of myself over a practical joke:eusa_doh:

aghhh! I am good for that :dry:

Alex.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! It's a great letter. My only suggestion would be to take out "and some bad" before teachers. Also, when you get to the university, make sure to talk to individual professors as well. Often letters get lost in the university administration offices.

6. gabriel1

gabriel1 Guest

Excellent letter, and to echo the post above, I would suggest removing (and some bad) in reference to the teachers.

7. Bryan90

Phil, along the lines of SexyAlex, what's the purpose of this letter? I mean if you really do have Dyslexia, then I think a more formal letter to accessibility would be appropriate because the way in which you write your exams must be arranged.

8. InaRut

This is a letter I have to send to Brock inorder to be identified as a student of a learning disability. It's basically suppose to tell them about my weakness and strengths I have with my disabiltiy. And under supervision I can write my exams with a laptop, but I'll soon be having a talk with my guidance counsellor at orientation just in case. So this isn't like a "big deal" (hense the lack of ummm...Formality) or anything I think they just want this letter as a perspective of how the student thinks of his disability. But yah this letter is being sent with a psychological assement of myself. It's really only to be "identified." The nitty gritty comes after all of that.