1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speculation over historical figures who might have been gay/bi.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WeirdnessMagnet, Jan 6, 2014.

1. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was always feeling weird about that topic. On the one side, it's really important to remember that we weren't, you know, spontaneously generated by 60's counter-culture, that some of the history's most-remembered people were almost certainly not straight, to have role models and, if nothing else, being a history nerd, I really, really want to know what exactly happened back then.

On the other, it all too often feels to me like it's some sort of prurient gossip and sometimes has about as much evidence to it as your average slash fanfic (less, really.)

So, I just wonder what everyone else thinks of this? Is it a good thing? When it's good? Are there more and less respectful ways to do that?

2. Nikky DoUrden

I'm not a history-fan but more like a physics-fan, and some times when learning about historical figures that made a certain theory, I like to know what happened in their mind so I can understand their theory the same as they did.
    So ye its interesting to know as much as possible about them, which helps me learn about the present :slight_smile:
    About wether they were gay or not is less important to me but some stories are really interesting like Alan Turing .. also a sad story ..

And I don't think its bad, if you enjoy it especially as a history-fan then by all means you should do it! :grin:

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's harmless as long as people accept that there isn't much certainty, if at all. If we can't even tell people are gay by observing them in person for years, it's hard to decipher their sexuality through written accounts by people who may know little about their personal lives.

4. biggayguy

David and Jonathan from the bible. It says David loved Jonathan. There's been a lot of disagreement over the word translated as love. Is it brotherly love or something deeper.

5. Simple Thoughts

What about Abe Lincoln? Isn't there some speculation or probable cause he was having a gay fling with someone? 0.0

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alexander The Great was gay, he had a male lover in his military and when he died Alexander was apparently very grief stricken.

7. thesharkamander

Walt Whitman is often thought to have been gay or bisexual. Anne Frank, too.
    I really don't see a problem with speculations about their sexual orientations--no one would care if we just assumed they were all straight, so why can't we assume some of them weren't?

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In that era, it seemed everyone was bi in the Hellenistic regions.

9. freeskies

I sometimes suspect William Shakespeare.

10. FreeFlow9917

There's even something in the bible that talks about two gay lovers, no joke i think it is in the samuel books

---------- Post added 6th Jan 2014 at 11:44 AM ----------

Oh and Simon Cowell considering he is a hard ass judge anyway

11. djone12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Leanardo da viche was gay he had a worker that BARROWED money to by cloths also was his model for the paintinf john the babtist and when he did he left the monolisa to his lover we learnd this i history. I thank his name was pailo

12. PurpleGrey

I don't think it's relevant whether a historical figure was gay or whatever, unless that figure's actions are related to LGBT history. Even then, I don't think it's all that relevant. What it comes down to is whether the information adds to the understanding of the person's actions, or the related events. Or I could be talking out my ass and I'm not as educated as I like to think.

13. AAASAS

Homosexuality wasn't really a sexual orientation till relatively recently, before it was more along the lines of a fetish, perversion or interest.

Even to Greeks and Romans who were known to engage in same sex relationships, there wasn't an apparent understanding of homosexuality that we have today. Sexuality in general I guess was much more fluid, and since heterosexuality was the only "productive" sexuality it was just considered the de facto of all people. Anyone that grew astray were engaging in an "act" either labelled "alright" depending on the time and place but most likely perversion after Christianity came into swing.

I don't know much Eastern history, so I can't speak for that majority half of the world.

This makes speculation hard because most historical figures that were gay wouldn't have even really "known" they were gay, and were most likely deluded that they were straight but had a "fetish" or were "perverted" since there was no real alternative to call their feelings; we have an extra word in our language now called homosexuality.

As well most figures are known for things other than their sexuality, and since sex wasn't as culturally embedded as it is now, a lot of documents most likely don't bother to mention sex.

I'd say a lot designers and poets were most likely gay, but that's all based on stereotypes.