1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to Study this..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mrcake, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Mrcake

What is the best way to study/learn organic chemistry? I have to take it this semester and I struggle with chemistry. I took it for a month last semester and had to drop it due to my class load. Does anyone have any advice or websites that I can go to for learning? I used Khanacademy on youtube for help and the tutor center at my university. I really need to pass this class ( a C at minimum), and my teacher is really bad. Please help! :eek:

2. Jwis

I don't have any websites, but I am a chemist so I know a thing or two.

How I passed: Flashcards. Most of chemistry is pure memorization. Bring them with you everywhere. Even if you have 5 minutes take em out and go through them. Repetition is the key.

If you ever need any help to feel free to ask =) I love chemistry!

3. Foxface

It sounds so rude, but the For Dummies books have a knack for simplifying things. I'd also agree flashcards are a fantastic idea

Foxface

4. AlamoCity

Maybe it'd help to get a model kit or some way to model molecules in 3D if you ever have issues mentally visualizing the chirality/stereochemistry of molecules.

5. Jwis

You're absolutely right.

It helped me with identifying the configurations of the chiral carbons a lot.

And don't forget about the countless hours on the 5th floor of the library while your friends are out having a good time, sorry that was me.

#5 Jwis, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Model kits are nice if you're a visual person. I usually studied by just writing reactions over and over on many sheets of paper until I got them. It also helps when memorizing structures and names. What you need to find are ways of understanding the core concepts; I didn't really understand organic chemistry much until I took physical organic chemistry in grad school.

If you want to watch some podcasts from a great professor at my old university, Dr. Mark Morvant, and many other useful podcasts on iTunes.

I can help for somethings, though I'm primarily a biochemist.

7. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    I don't know how much help I can be (i'm a freshman in high school)

You could try making a Quizlet and finding flashcards or making your own

8. Skov

Here's my two thoughts on how people handle organic chemistry:

1. Straight memorization. Load up with examples so much that you'll know exactly how to do that problem on the test because you've done it 100 times before. (this does work for some people)

2. Understanding the chemistry. If you learn to understand principles about polarity, electrophiles, nucleophiles, intermediate stability, etc, you can figure out the outcome of the reaction. (this is pretty difficult)

You are going to have to find a combination of these two that works for you. Memorization will help, but it won't help you much with that curve ball your professor puts on an exam.

I am also going to agree with the model kit. It really helps with chirality which can be very confusing. I wouldn't buy a nice one though because you probably won't use it for much besides chirality.

My biggest pieces of advice:

1. Do a lot of example problems

2. Whatever you do, don't try to cram for ochem because you will crash and burn. I got a 45% on one midterm that I crammed for. Study as you go along, or you will get buried.

9. Hiems

I really recommend this. Chirality was tricky for me... especially when there are more than two chiral centers. Then it becomes really confusing. I would use the model kit as you write out the reactions on paper. If you're feeling lazy, for carbons that only have H-atoms, e.g. alkyl groups, don't put any white balls (H-atoms). Just visualize the H-atoms xD

Everyone gave good advice, but I just want to reiterate some points.

I don't remember much conceptually, so I can't help you there. I have some study tips though. Using this method, I got A's on both semesters of orgo:
    - Go to every single lecture. I was grateful that my professor was good, lol.
    - Take good notes in lecture in a notebook. Copy down all problems and solutions.
    - In a different notebook, copy down the problems shown in class with space left between each. Don't write down the solutions. You can do this after class.
    - The next day, do the problems from memory in that notebook. Compare your answers to the solutions in your other notebook. For those you can't do, do whatever it takes to figure them out. Look in the textbook for the method, use online resources, ask your professor.
    - Always always always do the homework problems. Get the textbook and solutions manual with it.
    - Do problems outside from the assigned ones too. Each chapter's section may have practice problems right after it. It's a way to check whether you understand what the section just covered. Practice improves retention.

I feel like this method is similar to studying for any math course too, but the material is obviously different. It's really time consuming to study for orgo but it's worthwhile if you want a solid grade.

10. Mrcake

Great advice Hiems! I hope that I can get a C at least. I'd be ecstatic if I got a B or an A, but that's nearly impossible knowing my professor. I want to understand everything, and I want to do practice problems -- I hope to do a lot if I have the time, and I should this semester.

11. girlonfire

I'm taking it right now, and while my current high school class is a joke and I have a 98, I occasionally watch Crash Course Chemistry on YouTube and it's a really good set of videos. Made by Hank Green from vlogbrothers :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Mrcake

I am taking o chem again... It seems as though my professor has learned a few things from last semester. He will teach pretty much the same though, with the exception of a few things. He curved the grades nicely, which is encouraging. He decided to only use E-text for this semester, which really blows....He is trying out this survey thing in class, which is gonna cost $14 - waste of money IMO. I am going for his recommendation and bought this book Organic Chemistry I as a Second Language: Translating the Basic Concepts: David R. Klein: 9780471272359: Amazon.com: Books it was $14, not that big of a deal. I have my sister's old O-chem stuff which has quizzes/tests/notes and labs. I looked over all that material and will use her stuff to study. I will use that textbook also to study, because our e-text is shit. Any other ideas on what I can do to learn this? I need to succeed; I have the time this semester and the drive.

#12 Mrcake, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014