1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nature or nurture

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andstillimhere7, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    During one of my classes we were discussing about if nature, nurture, or evolution influences an individual. So during our discussion the nurture group brought up homosexuality being nurture so I stood up saying that it's nature (my group topic) and this was stressful because someone, who I now hate, twisted what I said and said that it was nurture. I felt embarrassed and I felt scared for saying that because my mind thought that I was gonna come out or people will think I'm gay and that scared me, so for the rest of the class period I thought people will know I'm gay (even though I do want to come out) and i felt that my group was going to lose. I cried in the inside and felt like fainting. In the end I our group (nature) won. So do you think homosexuality is nature or nurture? I think it's nature.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely nature. It's found across cultures and species.

3. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's almost assuredly nature. Something I ponder about some times is if it should make much of a difference nature Vs nurture or choice Vs not a choice.

4. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    He stated that some people influence other people to become gay but I was fortunate enough that a girl backed me up saying that it is not a choice, but born. Although he did it for the debate, but you had the option to bring up homosexuality or not and I think it was absurd for him to bring up homosexuality being nurture, his group could've been fine without bringing up homosexuality as a choice or nurture, that's what irked me so much.

5. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    nature
    our symbol is a rainbow

6. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Love that!! Also when there is a hurricane of horrid comments and hate, in the end a rainbow appears:slight_smile:

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's nature in that it's an inherited temperament and disposition. Nurture can play into it to some degree. It sometimes shows up in a random person in a family tree. In other cases, it seems to run stronger in some family trees. Sometimes, it runs a lot stronger.

8. Data

Data Guest

I think it's nature. I don't think it's nurture, but I don't know where environment ends. Nurture blames homosexiness on the environment the child was raised in and possibly biological environmental factors (depending on who you ask). Does the environment extend into the womb as the fetus grows? I do consider a maternal immune response or an imbalance of testosterone to estrogen as possible causes of a person being born gay.

9. chivalrous

Its most certainly Nature.!
    I could some it up further but everyone above has pretty much already justified it.

10. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nature, for the most part.
    My theory for homosexuality's existence?
    Population control. Overpopulation of a species causes it to go down a lot later. So, if there are people who aren't interested in making babies and shit, but are still capable of it, it keeps the population at a healthy level.
    In an emergency situation, they would still be able to reproduce.

11. AlamoCity

Perhaps something along the lines of epigenetics, where theories state that womb conditions (the environment) might play a role in the expression of genes related to homosexiness :grin:.