1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"In Memory Of" T-shirts

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jan 6, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

I have seen persons who wear t-shirts with "In Loving Memory"/ "In Memory Of"/"In Memoriam,"etc. along with the picture of the dearly deceased emblazoned on it. I've seen a lot more than most because my dad works in the funeral industry and have had a chance to observe many a funeral, some even with people wearing said t-shirts to the funeral.

My question is, what is your opinion of such t-shirts?

I personally don't like them since I feel it's undignified because I was raised to be private about family matters and not to advertize such matters to the four corners of the world. I do find them appropriate for events dealing with causes such as breast cancer fundraisers/races, but I wouldn't expect anything less than your Sunday best, or dark suit if you have one, to attend a funeral. I don't find them appropriate for using such shirts as casual wear. Perhaps I'm jaded or a traditionalist, but that's just how I see it.

I really hope not to offend anyone, I just wanted feedback on what y'all think of said t-shirts and seeing how you viewed the topic. For what it's worth, I debated for a while to even make this thread.

2. willycubed28

Well, I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. I personally do not see anything wrong with it. If it helps them deal and cope with their loss then I say go for it. I can see and understand your point, but everyone deals in their own way, and some people probably wear those t-shirts to either help them cope or never forget their love one. It is like carrying them around when they are wearing the t-shirt. Not sure if that makes sense, but there it is!

3. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    AlamoCity pretty much summed up my opinion on this sort of T-shirt.
    I can't say I'm really a fan of the idea, either.
    To be frank, a lot of people are too apathetic to care about such a thing.

#3 An Gentleman, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  4. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    Nothing specifically wrong with that, but I defiantly would be more discreet yet more important about the way I remember some one. I keep a little bird statue in my room that reminds me of my grandfather and personally I think that is a much better way of remembering some one. But it's really whatever helps the person cope.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If someone chooses to commemorate a dead friend/family member that way, I wouldn't raise any objections. I would be horrified if anyone did it for me (not that I'd know) or a family member, and I would never do it under any circumstances. It seems far too gaudy for such an occasion.

I don't like overly public mourning. A small burial/cremation and a church or otherwise commemorative service, being subdued in general, and writing something about the deceased (whether a private note or an obituary) are all I could do for mourning, and all I'd want done for me.

6. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I have grandparents whom I miss very dearly, but I would never wear a shirt like that. To me that seems rather gaudy and tacky.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When and where to memorialize someone:

- at the time of their death, in appropriate and more formal funeral attire
    - at dates that mean something to you, at their grave sites ... via flowers, thoughts, photos, etc.
    - via those t-shirts if for charity, a relevant sporting event, or an event to bring awareness
    - at roadsides where you periodically see flowers, and sometimes a cross, to honor the tragic loss of a loved one
    - by speaking kindly of the departed and of good memories of them, though that's not always possible

#7 Tightrope, Jan 6, 2014
  8. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I couldn't do that. I miss and love my Mom so much, I could don't that. I carry the paper that they gave out at here funeral with her picture around with me and I will show it to people, but that is it. My grandma got a little necklace urn for my mom's ashes, but I can't even bring myself to do that. I have a little urn, but I can't even do that.

I understand cancer and fundraiser shirts, but even then I couldn't. Name yes, face no.

#8 phoenix89, Jan 6, 2014
  9. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Tacky. Used to see those t-shirts and bumperstickers and cringe. Especially now.

Farthest my family (to my knowledge) has ever gone was make buttons and lanyards in honor of my dad when they all went down to Florida/Disney World for a week. And even then, I was kind of shaking my head.