1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you be a feminist if you watch 'Two and a half men'?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pane123, Jan 7, 2014.

1. pane123

pane123 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    If you watch two and a half men, a very sexist show, does that mean you can't be a feminist/feminist ally?

2. Simple Thoughts

The show is hardly meant to be taken seriously. I don't see why it'd be so bad, tough I've never been that into the show cause it's not that funny.

3. Foxface

of course...I am a feminist and watch Always Sunny and listen to Howard Stern

don't worry about it

Foxface

4. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on what you mean by "watch" and "feminism."

No book, show, movie or whathaveyou is some sort of brainwashing device that instantly converts everyone who've come into contact with it to the author's point of view, mere touching of it disqualifying you from holding an opposing political view.

On the other hand, what you think after watching it and the reasons you enjoyed it may very well be worth reflecting upon.

I have no idea what the show in question is all about, so I can't really comment on the specifics.

5. just because you watch something doesnt make you one thing or another. you like what you like...

6. Rainbow Girl

Yes. I personally love that show and I consider myself a strong feminist. It's fictional comedy show so I don't consider what's said to be serious or personal. I just watch because I think it's funny. In the new season they have a hilarious lesbian character which also doesn't offend me because again, I think it's funny. Everyone likes different things and that doesn't necessarily effect other things you are or believe. I mean I'm feminist who likes Twilight which a lot people think is sexiest (which it sort of is but I also don't take it too seriously). So in short, of course you can.

7. Simple Thoughts

I agree!

Well except the Twilight part...*shudders* I can't stand that book/movie. It got way more popular than it should have given that the writing was at best high school level and the characters were all pretty lame and predictable. Plus what kind of writer creates the protagonist to basically be perfect in everywhere with zero faults? That's just bad character building...but despite all this people swooned over the story of a stalker and the girl who follows him around like a lost puppy.

8. KWDBM

I used to watch that show constantly when Charlie Sheen was on (and still watch it occasionally), but it's not like it affected the way I view women or anything. It's just funny, and it was interesting that Charlie was so disfunctional and.... could still function. Anyways, yeah, it doesn't matter, it's just a show.

9. Silver Sparrow

Yes, you just have to recognize that it is problematic and not deny that fact.