1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michael Gove

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Hexagon

I imagine that most of the members in the UK will have heard of this demon man. For those of you interested from other countries, Michael Gove is the secretary of education in the UK, bent on corrupting innocent children, promoting xenophobia and nationalism via education, and introducing the absolute worst of past practices in education and creating a future generation of zombies. He is also guilty of fucking up my exams.

In recent months, he has downgraded himself in my mind from loathsome to comparable to satan if I weren't worried about how that would make satan feel.

Is anyone else worried about this 'man'?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have said it before and I'll say it again, I cannot understand how that man still has a job.

3. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I am now. I don't remember hearing the name before.

As the reigning Satan of the now frozen-over underworld, I am quite offended by your assumptions. Really, do you believe everything you hear about people? Eat a snickers Hexagon, you get judgemental when you're hungry. Here, I'll even give you one, because I'm actually a very selfless* being. How do you feel now? I hope you take time to think on your actions today Hexagon, I wouldn't want you to end up with me one day. Not saying I'm threatening, but I'm saying.

*Exceptions include when I am pitchforking people whom I hold forever-captive in my evil lair of doom. Because, that's just funny.

For reading that, I will Google his name and concern myself with his doings. 'Cause, I care about the world and shit. (*hug*)

4. Hexagon

*shrug* You always seemed nicer than god. But I don't want a snicker, thanks. I'm vegan.

5. wasnt he on this morning aaaaages ago saying that gay folk were horrible and it shouldnt be talked about or taught about in schools? or am i thinking of a diff guy?

6. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  7. Beware Of You

There are far worse in politics, Gove is an idiot but he is nothing compared to the likes of Lord Tebbitt.

If you want to see real bigotry look at the Democratic Unionist Party in Northern Ireland, Gove would fit right in there.

Just wondering Hexagon, how did he mess your exams? The exams were messed up by the last government who went modular.

I don't get the claim about Nationalism in schools, we never have had to do a pledge of allegiance or anything like they do in the US. I was in cadets and yes we had to nationalistic stuff there but that was nothing to do with school.

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I'm not mistaken the nationalism in schools comes from his apparent constant need to have teachers preach about just how damn good Britain is. So in his world war 1 thing, he doesn't like blackadder being used because it suggests that WW1 was a BAD thing and makes the british army officers look like fools. He seems to think we should be praising the British for getting involved because they were fighting for good democratic reasons or some crap like that.

He seems to be under the impression that everything Britain did, was a good thing because it was in the best interests of the British people, and anyone saying otherwise is too 'left wing'.

9. Hexagon

I agree, he is an idiot. But he is also in a dangerous position, as he has control over what gets put on the curriculum. Nothing like a powerful idiot with a nationalist agenda. As for your question on nationalism, I believe ElliaOkatu has answered that for me. I'll add to what she said though; he favours revisionist versions of history to support nationalism, and plans on having them taught in schools. That state of affairs is already bad enough as it is, but he will make it much, much worse.

Onto my exams, then. Yes, damn exams are modular. Except they aren't. Sure, they are assessed in modules, but he went and cancelled january exams. I would be taking exams right now, making my life way easier in the summer.

10. Beware Of You

Oh okay, just nobody put a source on this so I had no idea what they were on about (I don't live in the UK anymore.)

The UK has had a mixed past like the Empire, State Homophobia, Religious persecution and complete psychopaths as kings but I remember being told that in School so maybe it depends on the school. I had an American teaching me history and I don't remember her being overly bias towards the Allies she was kinda impartial to the point when she said that a lot of people see the use of nuclear weapons against Japan in the final days a mistake and explained their reasons.

To be honest I have kinda been anti-establishment I became a Catholic when I was a teen (My parents sent me to a Catholic school and 25% of the people in my home town are Catholic) partially because I was told that the CofE exists because Henry VIII got pissed off with the pope and Elizabeth Ist got pissed at the Spanish, if it wasn't for Henry VIII then the CofE wouldn't exist.

I don't think its specifically a British problem, virtually every country teaches their kids that they are the best in the world, look at how the Chinese kids have to sing patriotic songs every day at day break, I know an Indian who was shocked that I don't know the UK's national anthem.

Even in Ireland it exists, its not such a problem now but about 30 years ago Kids were being taught that Britain wants Northern Ireland and it should be in the Republic because its better than the UK, they got a shock when some moved to the UK and realised that nobody in the UK cares about NI .

A lot of the British Army officers were idiots in WWI they were posh upper class people only there because of their family connections. Most of the people were under them were conscripts, if there was a World War going on I would probably be drafted and I would do it but imagine having some posh toff sending people to die without being anywhere near the front, thats what went on.

Most of the Nationalism I was exposed to was in the cadets and the UAS at college, they were expecting us to join the military, I had to swear an oath to the Queen literally saying I would risk my life for her and the country.

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2014 at 05:29 PM ----------

I had to do the old school GCSEs at the end of year 11 in the Summer of 2006 and the Modular AS/A levels and to be honest I liked the single exam at the end, in modular exams you have to do the Synoptic exam anyway so you have to revise the old stuff in addition to the modules. But hey thats me.

Revisionist history is a problem. But this is nothing new, we were told that Churchill was a frigging hero, but they never told us of his more dodgy ideas and the like.