1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do people think that bisexuality is the attraction to only men and women...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thesharkamander, Jan 7, 2014.

1. thesharkamander

...when the purple stripe literally represents attraction to genders anywhere along the gender spectrum?

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've wondered that too because bisexuals also can be attracted to transgender people as well
    also some bisexual prefer one sex over the other others are 50/50 but I think bisexuality to is not as black and white as it seems .

3. Sitri

Probably because bi means two. Are there bisexuals who are only attracted to men and women? Not me certainly. Androgyny is hot.

4. biggayguy

I thought that was called pansexual since the prefix "bi" means two. I know that some people don't get the difference so it's easier to say bisexual.

5. Daydream Harp

It's kinda confusing indeed. I personally could probably be considered Pansexual in a "medical sense", but I feel it's easier to call myself Bi to explain to people and because I am not only attracted to personality like it seems Pansexuality is considered as (well, at least according to my ex at least). All in all we could have use for more terms in this area :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2014 at 07:06 PM ----------

Well I knew a straight guy who was with a Transwoman once, so if that is possible it should be possible Bi people could be with Trans people as well.

6. MarvinMinsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Not to knit pick, but I think Bisexuality and Pansexuality are two different things. I do not find anything attractive in a Feminine Male nor a woman who's too butch. Cross dressing and transgender just don't do it for me.

For you? Hey, whatever floats your boat. but since people have a need to put things in little boxes and then label those boxes, I think this is one of those boxes. If you find you don't fit in that box, maybe it's the wrong box.

That said, this is not a commentary on the rightness/wrongness of boxes and said labels. Merely a statement of opinion and observation

7. thesharkamander

Y'know, even if you're using the "men and women" definition of bisexuality, it's transphobic to say bisexual people can't be attracted to trans* people, because that's saying that trans* people, not matter what gender they identify as, can't be men or women.

8. Beware Of You

I thought Pansexual included people who identify as agenda or third gender?

Since transpeople belong in the gender binary they fall onto the bisexual spectrum

9. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

Yeah, I think you summed up how I feel. I really don't like labels, and if I were going to sum up my sexuality it would actually be something like "If they are beautiful, then I will have sex with them." So in a sense it is easier to say bisexual than that. :lol:

10. My Two Wings

I find the whole bisexuality vs. pansexuality argument to be rather pointless. Really, it just depends on how the person defines bisexuality. If that person identifies as bisexual and is attracted to all genders, then that's fine with me. That's how they define themselves, and it doesn't in any way invalidate how I define myself.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This topic is valid, but it gets tiring. My belief is that it's mechanical and/or emotional fluidity in who can turn your crank. There's a certain relaxation in one's M.O. to roll that way. What I mean by that is, for example, the suburban bisexual male who enjoys women and either freaks out at the fact that he likes guys too or indulges sporadically on the D.L. and with tons of guilt. At the end of the day, sex is just bodily friction. Who cares what one likes?

12. Sitri

I will never understand bisexuality/pansexuality. All I know is I there are a lot of cute people, some are girls, some are guys, and others are somewhere between.

13. biggayguy

What I meant was that maybe a bisexual who is attracted to trans people is using the wrong label. Or maybe your just nitpicking.

14. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Funny, I never hear people fretting over straight and gay people who are also attracted to or have been involved with transgender folk, only when it involves bisexuals. I'm into many types of men, women, and anyone in between or outside the binary, but find it more convenient to describe myself with bisexuality. At the end of the day, we're in a similar spot, so can't we agree that the two have more in common with one another than not?

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    One straight guy i knew is sexual attracted to transwomen but I still thought he was straight and most people still think of straight men as straight but i do get the mix up with pans and bi because bi means two but i think their both different .
    I'm lesbian myself and not oppose to having sex with a transgender woman I've never done it but i wouldn't write it off .

16. femivir

Our current understanding of gender is a pretty recent development. For most of history, most people regarded gender as something binary. People also did not distinguish between 'sex" and "gender" ("gender" was used only as a grammatical term in foreign language classes where nouns and adjectives have to agree in gender.) So it was natural to use the term 'bisexual", a word which assumes that there are two distinct sexes and which makes no reference to "gender" at all.

I think the word "bisexual" is misleading for another reason: it does not distinguish between sex and love. One used to see the term "biamorous" being used. Nowadays, I have not seen the term "panamorous."

17. KWDBM

Being technical, since "bi" means two, bisexual means two. Attracted to to the two genders, men and women. I know that's not *true* for everyone who identifies as bi, but that's literally what it means, and that's probably why most people think that.

If you want to identify as bisexual but you are open/interested in anyone, trans*, androgynous, whatever, then you just have to accept that most people are going to see "bisexual" as "men and women". If you don't want people to mislabel you, then tell them the truth (pan-whatever, gender-fluid, whatever you are).

18. thesharkamander

Does the "bi" have to mean "male and female genders" though? Can it not mean "similar and different genders"?

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2014 at 03:27 PM ----------

Also, how many of you actually read this part?

19. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a female who identifies as more bisexual than pansexual, I distinguish the two with a need for a gender. Basically, I think of pansexuality as a "No gender? No problem!" sort of thing. At the same time, I have pan listed in my orientation because of the following reasons:

1. I could easily see myself dating someone who was transgender, no matter what point they were at in the actual process of switching genders. Basically, if I was dating a guy, and he told me "Yeah, I was born a chick, and haven't even started the process of becoming a guy." I'd say "Okay... but you're still a guy."
    2. I could also see myself dating a gender fluid person. Switching between boy and girl every once in a while doesn't sound like anything that would stop me from falling in love.
    3. Brian Molko is androgynous and I find that he's a beautiful looking human being.

Even though I have these reasons, I consider myself as bi because I have to be able to say "he" or "she". My brain cannot compute dating someone who has no gender, or something like that. It's not like I'm against it, if you don't have a gender then more power to ya, I'd just be scared of offending them because I would always think of them as one or the other. This is also just my personal preference, many bisexuals are different on this subject.

But when it comes to the flag... I have no idea.

20. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    Think about it this way...

Flags

Pansexual

[​IMG]
    Pink: Love for Women/ femininity/ anyone who identifies as female

Yellow: Love in the absence of gender

Blue: Love for men/ masculinity/ anyone identifying as male

All strips are the same size: no preference nor difference

Bisexual

[​IMG]

Pink: Love for Women/ femininity/ anyone who identifies as female

purple: Love for those who are in the middle of the gender spectrum

Blue: Love for men/ masculinity/ anyone identifying as male

Pink and blue are the same size: no preference or slight preference

Purple is smaller: not the biggest part of bisexuality

Symbols

Pansexuality

[​IMG]

no gender symbol present: gender is irreverent

P: for all genders or no gender preference

Arrow: symbolizes gender

Bisexuality

Male bisexual
    [​IMG]

Female bisexual

[​IMG]

Two different symbols: acknowledges the differences between each gender

Bisexuality:
    Symbolizes the ability to love (be sexually attracted to) people of all other genders

Pansexuality:
    symbolizes the ability to love (be sexually attracted to) people without the factor of gender

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2014 at 05:28 PM ----------

Just remember there is no better sexuality and I personally hate the saying hearts not parts
    because of the way it puts down bisexuals

My best friend is bisexual and if you saw us and had us talk about our sexualities together you would definitely see a difference

Don't be biphobic nor panphobic

(seriously who is afraid of bicycles and panda bears)