1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between open relationship & friends with benefits

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NaNtastic, Jan 7, 2014.

1. NaNtastic

NaNtastic Guest

So, I know nothing about it, never been in a relationship before. I'm just curious as what you people think is the difference, as I can't seem to think of a difference.

(I think the both are not meant for me though, I feel like I'm a really honest and committing person)

2. femivir

The way I see it, an open relationship is first of all an "in-love" kind of relationship, possibly a marriage. The two people are committed to each other emotionally (with all the work that this involves, in terms of communication, resolving conflicts, exploring values, being there for each other when emotional support is needed, etc.) but agree that each might engage in sex with others purely for recreational purposes. There is the expectation that these extra-curricular activities will NOT turn into "in-love" relationships (otherwise, we are now talking about a polyamorous relationship rather than an open relationship.)

Friends with benefits, on the other hand, are simply two friends who have sex on occasion. There is no jealousy if one falls in love with someone else. Often they will have sex only when both are "in between" relationships. Friends of this type used to be called 'f*** buddies', which I think describes the situation more clearly.

I suppose that if someone is not interested in love, but only in sex, there might not be much difference between the two.

3. NaNtastic

NaNtastic Guest

That seems like a good statement you made there. It's still something I would not want though..

4. Foxface

it's actually apples and oranges

An open relationship is an agreement with your partner be romantic and/or sexual with an outside person

A frind with benefits is simply a friend you engage sexually with. You don't have to be in a relationship to have a friend with benefits

My partner and I have been semi-open with our rules and married ten and a half years. It's definately not for everyone but it possible if all the factors are there

Foxface

5. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    If you are in a relationship and you make the agreement of lettingeach other have casual sex outside your relationship, it becomes open relationship

If you are friends withsomeone and you start having sex then is a FWB

The FWB bothknow is probably going to end at some point, the Open relation ship you will try to keep up with it. In a FWB you can move out and go live on another country(after telling your friend of course) in a openrelationship you have to consult your partner , and your partner have to agree, then you proceed to move together.