1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Sites: Discriminatory?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rocking23, Jun 26, 2008.

1. rocking23

There is this online dating service that is said to be extremely popular and provide great results. It is in many countries.

I went to their site one day and notice it's only for straight people. Which sparked a question in me, why is there no gay section? There are sites that offer both straight and gay like many know. But another question sparked up: Should dating sites be required to offer both gay and straight? Especially the sites that are very popular and well known. Another question: If gay marriage is accepted in your area, should it be required by law?

What do you think:
    Q 1: Should dating sites be required to offer both gay and straight sections?
    Q 2: If gay marriage is accepted in your area, should it be required by law?

#1 rocking23, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
  2. Alexander

Question 1. No, because supporting gay relationships is not legally required. Granted, they should include the option anyway, just to be decent humans.

Question 2. Yes. But will it happen? No.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll just answer #1 for now - no. It's a dating site for straight people. I don't have any problem with that. There are dating sites for various ethnicities, older folks, Christians, fetishists, you name it. If one company owned ALL the dating sites, and there were NO other place to do online dating, then yes, we'd have a problem. But there are tons of places for gays to find somebody.

Lex

4. crimsonarcher

1.) It may not ahve to be required, but it should be there for no exclusion.
    2.) It shouldn't be required- it should be allowed.

I noticed something quite interesting- On the morning news that I watch, The female anchor questioned this segregation as a possible morals situation. She noticed that gays/lesbians aren't allowed, but married people can go on there, with the possibilty of cheating, which could lead to divorces. If it was indeed a morals issue, why are married people allowed to violate the sanctity of their love and mariage , but gays/lesbians can't have any participation at all? Just me and my thoughts.
    :slight_smile:

5. shakerdancee

How tragic.

That's like saying there should be a straight section on gay.com...

6. dictionary

should gay datting sites have a straight area?

7. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It shouldn't be required to have a gay section on there. Plus, I'm sure there are many other gay sites someone can find.

8. Blitzkrieg

Q 1: Should dating sites be required to offer both gay and straight sections?
    It shouldn't be required to have a gay section seeing as there are so many different dating websites for different types of people so if this one was changed to include gays, then all the others would have to be changed as well.
    Q 2: If gay marriage is accepted in your area, should it be required by law?
    Required.....? No.... It's allowed here though!! :grin:

9. cc6log

Q1 no

Q2 no, the law should have separation between church and state on the marriage issue. You shouldn't have to apply for marriage license you should apply for a civil union license "for gay and straight couples", and then let your religion hash out "if you have one" whether or not there is a marriage, without any legal standards applied. My qualm is in the wording, why do people apply for marriage licenses from the government when marriage is a religious term...

10. Alexander

Actually I think there should be...

*prepares to be hit by many large frying pans*

11. sexyalex

oooh, well Lex said what i was going to say.

Well dear lets just put it this way, other sites that have created partnerships that will be a cut above their competitors [removed] cuz guess what....they only provide services for one orientation of people..

while their competitors diversificate.:thumbsup:

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Please don't name 18+ websites here (which is the minimum age required for registration on those named) because it violates the Code of Conduct. I have edited a few posts above to remove the site names.

I have just searched on Google for "dating uk" and looked at the first 10 results. Out of those 7 allowed people to search for the same sex as well as the opposite sex. The big name ones in the UK all allowed same-sex searching. So it does seem from that quick check that the majority do not discriminate.

13. Tim

Tim

Not quite the same story in the US however, =P

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The search results I got were six .com sites of which two did not have any same-sex options, and four .co.uk sites of which one didn't. Although it looks a bit better for the UK ones there are not enough sites to draw any real conclusions.

It would be interesting to get the figures for the first 10 search results you get there.

I didn't try to register with any of then, I just looked at the search options available from the front page or the obvious search page linked form the front page.

15. Tim

Tim

Off the top of my head from the sites my sister has used, only 1 of them allow same sex applicants, and she's used... like 8? All of them say they can't match her XD, So she moves onto other ones :confused:

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Off the top of my head from the sites my sister has used, only 1 of them allow same sex applicants, and she's used... like 8?

In a sense, that may be ideal. You know there's nothing for you on those other seven, so anyone who's interested in finding a match will be at that eighth one. :slight_smile:

Lex

17. Holmes

No, of course not. They have all sorts of things to think about, such as how to target advertising. If I was looking for a dating site, I'd throw "gay dating" into the search. Most I've found when I've clicked through on ads have tended to cater to all. But it's a free world. I could understand an argument if you were talking about real world clubs that only let straight couples in, or something, but there are so many sites online that it's ridiculous to expect them to be required to include a gay section. Even if marriage rights existed in law for gay couples. Don't make others change how they plan their business just because you can't be bothered spending one second more typing the word "gay" into a search engine.

18. RaeofLite

A parody relevant to this thread topic... eBliss
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEDs0eJLDjA[/YOUTUBE]

19. littledinosaurs

1: no
    2: no

and as for dating sites here there are several that let you be gay, or will redirect you to a place where you can be gay on a dating site.

However i've only seen one site (and it wasn't really legit) that let you be Bi.

20. xCrazyInsanity

it's a dating site....
    it's not governmental run. can't force anything

there's a lot of stupid crap on the net, why cant' we just lump dating sites in with the stupid stuff?