1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you trust politicians ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

In the UK the Conservative government last year got the Equal Marriage bill through government and Royal Assent so after April two guys or two girls can marry. While I am for marriage (Well I probably won't get married) I just wonder if this is just a ploy to get a load of votes from the LGBT community, just over 10 years ago the Tories were trying to keep section 28 into law Cameron voted against its establishment (Section 28 made it a crime for a public funded body including schools and social services to speak "positively" about lgbt stuff) but now Cameron is saying how much on a honour it is for same sex people to have equal rights.

In Ireland its the same Fine Gael keep on saying how they are pro-LGBT and Enda Kenny is punishing through a referendum next year but they were awkward about the decriminalisation 20 years ago.

Maybe I am being cynical but I just don't trust them

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I give trust where trust is due. Most politicians don't deserve trust, but some do.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a general rule? Absolutely not. Individually? I make exceptions for those who deserve it, but in general politicians deserve a great deal of scrutiny, especially in states where the lines between executive government and corporatism are blurred/non-existent, such as Australia, Britain, or the US.

I have a great deal more trust in bureaucrats, which I see as generally less flawed (at least in Australia and the Nordic countries.) However, I understand that politicians are a necessity as the voices of the people. Unfortunately, they aren't with the current systems. I think the systems of election and corporate donation (which are ethically no different than regular bribery) are extremely flawed and what causes politics all over the Anglosphere to be dominated by a bunch of upper-class, white, cis-hetero, male idiots who get in power on the campaigns of their corporate masters and return the favour with state resources.

4. chivalrous

I dont trust politicians just because they bring up wonderful idea's and then they actually dont happen. if its to good to be true it probably isn't

5. Data

Data Guest

I don't trust ANYONE right off the bat. I am always courteous and kind, but never fully trusting. Then after a certain time, they either gain my trust or I will never trust them ever.

Politicians run for office and usually have an established track record. If they have a good record, I'll vote for them. If they don't, I won't even consider it.

If they say they'll do something, I'm always a bit weery of whether it'll actually happen. If it does, I'll remember. If it doesn't, I'll remember even more vividly.

Take a guy like John McCain for instance. He has flip flopped, caved, and sided with the opposing party so many times, I no longer trust him and no longer vote for him or advocate voting for him.

6. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    based simply on the fact that the person has chosen a political career, I wouldn't trust them just to be on the safe side. I would look into their history before I decided whether or not to trust them.

7. KazTastic

Not sure if this is a trick question.

No, I don't trust them (not those from the major parties at least), because they are paid by lobbyists to make up bullshit and break promises.

8. Hexagon

No. Actually, I suspect I'd have a self defence reaction if I met one in person. There are a few good ones. Unfortunately, it's rather rare for the good ones to get anywhere.

9. Foxface

not really. And I have a two-fold problem here

1. Politicians on each side serve the 1%...face facts folks the pocketbook is more important than the will and progress of the people

2. I get REAL sick of pundits and supporters on each side telling the other one that they are wrong and their side is the only answer...total bull crap

Each side's fans are hypocrites

Foxface

10. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I trust that a lot of politicians do what they think is best for America (and also do what's best to get re-elected, that comes with the territory), but that doesn't mean I agree with them. It also doesn't mean that every politician in America is competent enough to be one. In fact, many aren't.

#10 Mike92, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  11. fulcrum

Nah, dont trust them. Some of them are trying to do the right thing, but most are just in it for themselves.

12. Aldrick

Why would anyone trust a politician? It's not that they are serial liars or anything, and you could probably trust them in personal non-political relationships. However, when it comes to politics it's silly to not expect to verify everything they say and hold them accountable on what they promise.

It's not that all politicians act in bad faith (though some do), it's just that the system itself encourages people to... shade... the truth and facts. A typical lie from a politician isn't usually bold faced and open, it's more along the lines of giving you a set of facts, but ignoring other facts that undermine the core of their argument. It's not in a politicians interest to give you a list of pro's and con's for a proposal they're making, only the pro's - they're trying to persuade you, after all. It's like trusting advertisement - they're trying to sell you something. This is the reason independent verification is important.

When it comes to promises they make, it's not that they normally tell lies about what they want to achieve. It's just that when they start to encounter obstacles their resolve can falter, and they may want to divert their attention to lower hanging fruit. This is the reason why, if you voted for them based on a certain promise they made, that you need to fight to hold them accountable once they're in elected office.

Then, at least in the United States, there is another layer entirely which is the entrenched interests - which range from influential campaign contributors to powerful individuals and groups within the governments bureaucracy. All of them can also wield incredible influence on a politician, which may be counter to your interests and values.

In the end, it's primarily for these reasons, that you should never trust a politician.

13. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I stopped trusting politicians when they started referring to themselves as being in power.

You're there to serve the people, not to lord it over them like you're Kim Wrong Un.

14. leer

bunch of greedy bastards.. no I dont trust anyone like that

15. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Agreed.
    Elections seem to be more about money and party loyalty nowadays, anyway...

#15 An Gentleman, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  16. Mace

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know a local politician personally. He isn't in it for the money, and isn't a powermonger. He went into politics for the common good, although I don't agree with him what that good is. However, he's probably a little too honest and speaks his mind a little too openly.

As a result his party didn't allow him to stand for re-election:tantrum:

17. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Since we're moaning about elections and politicos I'd like to complain about the fact that most if not all newspapers and media outlets are little more than the official mouthpiece for their chosen party these days, especially come election time.

I blame the Sun wot won it.

18. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

politicians? no, i dont like em, in every part of the world, they can go swin in hell lake xD

19. Simple Thoughts

^ Pretty much sums up my views on politicians.

I actually took Obama on faith though, but it pretty much turned out to be a waste of good faith in another person because he turned out to not be anything he said he was :frowning2:

20. Eric

It's worth noting that same sex marriage legislation in the UK was passed in spite of the Tories, not because of them. A majority of the Conservative caucus voted against the legalization of same sex marriage.

As a rule, I don't trust politicians for all the reasons Aldrick and Aussie792 listed.