1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can non-binary folk cross-dress?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Techno Kid, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Techno Kid

Since cross-dressing means "the act of wearing clothing and other accoutrements commonly associated with the opposite sex within a particular society."

Now sex and gender are different things, but clothing and other things you wear do not have a sex OR a gender. So I don't think it is possible for a non-binary people to cross-dress unless they are wearing something that would normally make them feel uncomfortable, but are doing it for fun (like a costume). I guess it depends on the type of non-binary person you are though.

This is MY opinion, but I would like to know what other folks think of this thought process.
    :slight_smile:

#1 Techno Kid, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  2. Hexagon

Well, I wouldn't call it cross dressing, specifically, since non binary people don't have an opposite gender.

3. femivir

Well, if you see yourself as 1/3 female and 2/3 male, and wear clothing that is 1/3 male and 2/3 female, I guess you are cross dressing! :slight_smile:

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even though I'm non-binary, I consider the act of presenting myself feminine as crossdressing. I wasn't blessed with a male body that can look androgynous with minimal effort. I'd have to put a lot of time into it and especially maintenance. So from the perspective of other people looking at me, they will see a male-bodied person crossdressing; I can't escape that reality, and whether I identify as non-binary or not, that makes "crossdressing" what I am in fact doing.

5. Techno Kid

Good point! :slight_smile: I guess I was coming at it more from the perspective of a non-binary person, not the outside world. I guess you can't really avoid the outside world though...

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess it would depend on the person? Say they're bigender, and in one of their "male modes", but decide to wear female clothing; that might count as cross dressing. Otherwise, if they're specifically dressing up as the opposite sex, say, for a drag show, when they wouldn't normally... but still, I'm not sure that would count (even if others saw it as such).

7. Just Jess

I don't think it's an official definition, but I think there is a kind of cross dressing which involves "dressing up". That is, someone dressing as a male might have a suit and a mustache, or someone dressing as a female might try to pull off a Jessica Rabbit slip, that kind of thing.

So I think if you were really trying to accentuate the gender, play around with it, really make it fun like that, I would personally count that as cross dressing, or drag or drab.

You could wear really switch it up, and wear a naughty Mrs. Claus outfit backwards, and you'd be Kris Kringle Kris-Kross Cross dressing. Sorry.