1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theistic belief

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jan 9, 2014.

?

What are you?

1. Monotheist

16.7%
  2. Polytheist

4.4%
  3. Atheist

41.1%
  4. Agnostic

28.9%
  5. Deist

5.6%
  6. Pantheist

5.6%
  7. Ignostic

7.8%
  8. Apatheist

8.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hexagon

Note: This is not about religion, but about people's beliefs regarding deities. Feel free to expand on your beliefs in the thread though. I've tried to include as many positions as I could think of, but sorry if I missed anything out.

Personally, I am an atheist with pantheistic undertones.

#1 Hexagon, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

honestly, alexander (remembered your name :d)
    i have no idea what that means, i have never been into any religion studies, so i cant tell what that means, monotheist and polytheist are ppl who believe in one god and the other in multiple gods right?

3. Hexagon

Shit, I put Pantheist in twice. Could a mod sort that out please? Maybe put in an 'other' option as well.

Monotheist - A person who believes in the existence of exactly one deity
    Polytheist - A person who believes in the existence of more than one deity
    Atheist - A person who doesn't believe in the existence of a deity
    Agnostic - Someone who is unsure
    Deist - The belief in a non-personal, absent creator
    Ignostic - Someone who believes all theological positions assume too much about the existence of god, the question of god doesn't make sense.
    Apatheist - Someone who doesn't care about the answer
    Pantheist - Someone who says the universe and creator are the same

#3 Hexagon, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  4. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

k, so i be the first one since i believe in one god, meaning as supreme god, but as deities if you count angels and all that be more than one

5. Hexagon

I've never heard of angels being counted as deities.

6. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

for me they sort of are, that why i say if you ask me how many gods i believe, i say one, but deities i consider angels been divine as well, and again i repeat, i guess will be hard to classify myself into one of those names spec since i didnt even knew the meaning of those words

7. Hexagon

deity=god

8. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

then i be monotheist okay i got it xD :grin:

9. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Floating somewhere around agnostic-atheist and ignostic. If I was going on purely my ideas, then there's probably no way we can prove god and our experience is probably incredibly limited however much we think it's not. If I'm going on the basis of formal proof, I assume god doesn't exist until there is proof or strong evidence of it, so in that case atheist.

10. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great a thread about religion. I am more screwed up about my religious beliefs than I ever was about my sexuality.

Do I believe there is a god? No.
    Do I believe that death is the ultimate end? Yes.

Then explain to me how I can still believe in ghosts and evil spirits!!

So what button do I press for not being in god or an afterlife but still believing in ghosts? (told you my beliefs were screwed up)

11. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've put atheist, but I suppose I'm more anti-theist since I find the concept of god to be unnecessary.

If 'god' ever came down and proved completely without doubt he created the world, then fine I'd believe he existed, but it wouldn't make any difference because I can't use that for any ethical purposes, which is kind of his whole deal.

12. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

u make a good point about the ghosts part, i do believe personally whats maybe major on that, they are people not in this dimension anymore, or in a parallel one at the same frequency (if you ever heard about EVP which kind of freaks me out btw) perhaps trapped among both at same time, yea well i bet even if we have the ultimate lab equipment and einstein's brain we wont get to an explanation

13. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting, I had never heard of ignostic and don't know much about pantheism, but they seem to describe me. Do ignostics believe the question of a deity doesn't make sense because any human attempt to understand such an entity would fail miserably due to our own limited perspective? If so, then that's how I feel about religion in general. I don't hate the idea of religion however, simply that is can never be accurate. It will never go away however, because I believe that as a species our fear of the unknown is so great that we have to answer what are essentially(to me anyway) unanswerable questions.

Pantheism is kinda intriguing to me, too. So basically, is it the idea that creation itself is divine(or can achieve divinity) , similar to the ideas held by Buddhists? This one seems sort of just-matter-of-fact to me if you remove the divinity aspect. The idea that all matter in the universe is interconnected I would think would be a given, as almost everything within our universe operates on a cause-and-effect principle.

14. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haven't looked extensively into this area yet, which is a bit disappointing as I'd like to, but as of now would say 'Deist.' Though based on the above definitions, potentially 'Pantheist' as well.

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I put agnostic and ignostic, but I couldn't put either atheist or deist down because I don't really identify as either.

I'm agnostic because I believe that God is a concept, not a literal being, but even then I could be wrong (but it's more a matter of subjectivity.) I put ignostic because I don't see how my beliefs can be wrong when they're mainly a code of morals, but I also see any other belief as correct as long as they don't assume their correctness as a given truth.

16. Huma

Monotheist :slight_smile:

17. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I said agnostic out of these, but I consider myself non-religious.

18. Sitri

Apatheist. I didn't know it was a thing but it describes me perfectly. God is real? Great, leave me alone Mr Pope. Not real? Great, now leave me alone Mr Dawkins. I don't know the answer and frankly it doesn't matter to me. I'm fine discussing it philosophically, but if you try to persuade me, the conversation is over.

19. Beware Of You

I guess I am a monotheistic deist, I believe in a God but think all the religions are wrong.

I also practice some Buddhist ideas like meditation

20. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Monotheist. But some people consider Christianity to be polytheistic, so it can be a toss up between the two.