1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Men and women can't be friends."

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwkwardTalker, Jan 9, 2014.

1. AwkwardTalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That's what a teacher said during a class. I couldn't believe she thinks this and others agreed with her. Not every man or woman looks at the opposite gender and thinks only of having sex with them. What do ye think?

2. Simple Thoughts

I think that's a dumb mentality to have. I've been just friends with more than one girl before. Then again maybe I'm just weird. I think the problem is that the media sexualizes women and paints men as horndogs only looking to get their rocks off, and that's the impression everyone has of men and women so of course they think that the two genders can't interact in a non-sexual manner. -.-'

3. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Different sex friendships are increasingly common as boys' and girls' interests growing up gradually converge.

Obviously I have gay friends who I'm just friends with (who are attractive), and I have female friends (who are also attractive). There can be an element of sexual tension in those kinds of friendships, but it's not destructive.

4. Hexagon

That's stupid.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What rubbish.

What manner of class was she teaching, and what evidence did she proffer?

On an anecdotal note, I've had many close friendships with women, as have friends of mine both gay and otherwise. And on a more empirical note, it would be interesting to see any studies that confirm this naive notion.

6. Huma

I don't agree with this.

7. thekillingmoon

I would say it's pretty rare, I mean the kind of situation where both of them wouldn't want anything more than friendship. Unless, of course, they're both gay. Guys sometimes pretend to be friends with girls, but given the opportunity, they wouldn't think twice about giving up that friendship for something more.

8. Simple Thoughts

Not all guys are like that. Just cause some dudes are more interested in sex, doesn't mean all are -.-'

Also, wouldn't you rather find a partner who was your friend just as much as your lover? I mean to me that would seem like a better deal since you'll have a deeper understanding of one another, and probably be more willing to make sacrifices for each other :slight_smile:

9. itsonlyrelative

That is ridiculous. I have more guy friends than I do girl friends (and I am still in the closet). Honestly I find that my guy friends cause much less drama than my girl friends.

10. AwkwardTalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    HuskyPup, she teaches art. She didn't really give any evidence, at least not any that I can't remember.

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That has more bologna in it than this picture: [​IMG]

12. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    This is stupid:

1- i dont want to have sex with every women i see... Many of them are just not my type.

2- even those are my type... Im not the type of all of them. And as soon as i notice that i stop attempting anything sexual/romantic

3- if i consider a friend hot , so what?...that doesnt deny my friendship...or hell! If i happen to have simething sexual with a friend , that doesnt mean we are not friends...of course is harder to mantain stability of a friendship when thing gets intimate but that is something about difficulty not of lack of authenticity.

The confusion comes because some guys pretend to be friends to get closer to a girl...the key word between a fake friendship and a true friendship in here is 'pretending' if no one is pretending to be friends then the friendship is real.

13. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm pretty masculine.
    I still have some female friends.
    Yes, there people who pretend to be friends with members of the opposite sex because they want to get laid.(This is not prevalent in the gay community because homophobia.)They're idiots. Why give a crap about trivial things like that?

14. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Lust and friendship are 2 feelings who can actually develop simultaniously one doesnt nullify the other. In fact i like the idea of Friends with benefits, cause that is safer than having sex with random strangers you met ten minutes ago.

I have even managed to be friends with a girl i had a crush once, we are now good friends even after my crushing faded.

15. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Santa sausage face... awsome :roflmao:

On another note... I think she is reall dumb,all my straight guy I know at school socialize with girls in a non flirting manner

16. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Goddammit, I'm trying to lose weight. :lol:

I have a female friend with whom I yearn to hold and sleep with (not fuck, just sleep with). Can I still say I only think of her as a friend? :lol:

17. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

It's an idiotic, outdated mindset. The idea is that a man and a woman who become "friends" will eventually have one of them (usually the man) try to make them more than just friends and have sex. Like it's just inevitable that sexual urges will undermine any attempt to be friends with a person of the sex they are attracted to. It requires an extremely negative view of human beings, reducing us to mere sexual creatures. (I'd say it's an expression of the same sort of mindset that has Muslim extremists force women to cover their whole bodies with burqas because any showing of skin by a woman would result in a man lusting after and having sex with her.)

Of course following this same logic in terms of homosexual people, that means a gay man can't be friends with another man. (Two gay guys can't be friends? :eek:slight_smile:

It's a horrible view rooted in a thoroughly horrible mindset, and it needs to be eradicated and left on the dustbin of history.

18. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the intent of it from personal experience, because I tend eventually to crush on any females I am/was friends with.

But there are problems with the sentence, the first being that I don't let attraction stop me from being friends with them. I can accept that nothing's going to happen; that's okay. Secondly, I always considered myself weird in liking everybody, so how could I hold it against them if they just wanted to be friends?

19. Grimm

That's a stupid thing to say. I think anybody that actually has decent friends knows that.

Off topic:
    Is that a Santa bologna? Because that's awesome. And I want one. Or five.

20. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Um, if we follow this logic, then shouldn't you as a bisexual not be capable of being friends with anyone?

If the potential for sexual attraction between two people prohibits them from being friends, then bisexuals can't have any friends.