1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My teacher at the lesbian bar...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zam, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So my teacher told us at school us how he wanted to go with his girlfriend at a bar in downtown,they said they really got the attention of an outside bar near the gay village,it was a lesbian bar,than he explained how the hostess didn't want to let them in because it's for lesbians,he told us he didn't get why he was discriminated for being straight...

What do you guys think?

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well non LGBT get discriminated against like that so I don't know how he doesn't realize what's going on. However, it doesn't really sound like a tolerant place either.Members of the LGBT community ostracizing themselves from everyone else doesn't help the issue either.

3. Data

Data Guest

I see no problem. It's a bar for lesbians. Furthermore, it's private and if they want to disallow anyone from entering, they can do so.

4. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think the problem is that it is a bar exclusively for lesbians. I've never heard of an exclusively straight bar in the us

5. apostrophied

True that. However, what would happen if there was a private, straights-only bar that refused to admit gays? Yeah, a riot.

It goes both ways. If we're unable to accept that some bars won't admit gays (if such bars even actually exist), we shouldn't be able to accept that some bars won't admit straights. And the opposite.

I don't know what to think about this.

6. Techno Kid

I guess it would depend on how accepting where you live is in general. If gays get hate all the time there, I don't see a problem with having a "straight free zone".

7. itsonlyrelative

They shouldn't have discriminated against him because he was straight. If the roles were reversed there would have been law suits everywhere

8. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know. It sounds rather reasonable for a lesbian bar to permit only lesbians. I guess if it was reversed people would complain a lot, but at the same time I don't think it would be exactly the same thing if it was reversed.

9. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's a bar for lesbians, that's that. There's probably a thousand other places they can go. I also don't understand why he would even want to go in a lesbian bar. As for the talk about discrimination... he needs to pull up his big boy pants and get over it.

10. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think think of many reasons that a straight guy would want to visit a lesbian bar. All of them would detract from the point of a lesbian bar though.

#10 Girishbbe, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  11. Grimm

I don't see the problem in the bar's existence. I don't see the problem with them not letting him in. I can see the appeal in having a place for lesbians-only. But I still think it's dumb to separate ourselves from everyone else. And if the situation were reversed, a lot of people would throw a fit. Which is also dumb. Really, the whole thing is dumb.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not a bar person, and haven't been to one in a long time. People can now go to coffee places that have a sizable non-het customer base. However, there was one in a nearby city that I went to when in that city and it was a more clean-cut bar, if you want to call it that. People definitely left together. I noticed there was then an upsurge of straight young women customers. I don't know what customers thought of this. In this city, not letting them in would have caused on outrage. It is discrimination. What you reported was discrimination. I found it both interesting, as in wanting to go over and talk to them to find out why there were there when it wasn't a dance bar, and sort of inhibited, as in you're inhibiting guys from doing what guys do in bars just for guys.

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I know people are gonna hate me when i say this but i'm a bar for only lesbians It's our sanctuary and no i wouldn't really want a straight dude in there .

I have seen in real life two guys get kicked out of a straight bar just for kissing but they let all the bi curious girls stay there . I've seen a lesbian couple get yelled at by a couple of guys because they told them they were a couple and were interested . and one guy said
    "Go to your own bar and make out with your girlfriend why come here !'' One even said
    "don't come to our bar if you don't want to get hit or or looked at "

14. PurpleGrey

Gonna have to agree. It's not about discrimination, it's about letting the clientele feel safe. Either way, they didn't do anything illegal. Places have the right to refuse service or admission for whatever reason they damn well please, even if it's unfair or morally wrong. Now, I do believe the bar should've had more reason to believe this couple would be an issue, but I do see where they may have been coming from.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While the bar technically should allow men in, it is somewhat disrespectful of men to want to go to a lesbian bar. It is also somewhat disrespectful for women to go to a gay bar to check out good looking guys who give them the "what a waste" or "they make me feel safe" sensation. Neither of these situations are cool.

16. Mzansi

Hypocritical of the bar if you ask me,
    Live and let live really

17. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Where I live it would be quite illegal to not admit a straight man to a lesbian bar. That's just how nondiscrimination law works. When you say people can't exclude others on the basis of sexual orientation, that means you can't exclude people on the basis of being straight. It is, after all, a sexual orientation. If you don't like that, I don't care. If the law isn't applied equally, it's not a just law.

18. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    He should have said he was a lesbian too :slight_smile:

:grin:

19. KWDBM

I see differing opinions here, and it's really interesting to me because to me it's a no-brainer.

I grew up in the gay part of town. There were gay bars and clubs, and lesbian bars and clubs. Anywhere else in town a lesbian couple stood a damn good chance of getting insulted or even kicked out if they showed any affection in the bar.

A lesbian bar is for lesbians. It is a *safe* place for us to be with our peers, feel safe, not have to deal with sleazy come-ons from men, and really just be ourselves without fear.

Admitting men into a lesbian bar completely negates all of that. And you let one man in, he'll tell his buddies, and everyone will want in. It will no longer be a safe, calm haven for lesbians.

I get the whole "discrimination!!" bit, but seriously, there are hundreds of normal bars that guy can go to. WE have very very limited selection in places we can go where our orientation is not an issue.

20. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that most businesses have the right to refuse to provide service. That being said, it is discrimination. Although he shouldn't be trying to go in there in the first place.