1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you need to be loved to be happy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

I don't think I am the greatest boyfriend and to be honest I wonder why my BF puts up with me. I gave him a chance because my best friend wanted me to at least try (I go in and out of depression and I once decided that I am just going to be celibate and not act on my homosexuality) .

Anyway I just don't get this Love stuff, do you need it to have a decent life? My Mum said that I won't have a decent chance at happiness unless I open up and let people love me but is she right?

2. AKTodd

Some people don't need love to be happy. However, based on your various posts, I don't honestly think you are coming at this from a position of being happy to begin with. Instead you seem to spend a lot of timing feeling like you are a bad or unworthy person for some reason, probably the depression that you've mentioned from time to time.

I suspect that, rather than being a happy person who doesn't understand why they need to experience love/being loved since they don't see how it would add to their life, you are instead trying to get us to validate your idea that you don't deserve love or will never experience/get to have that. Not trying to be unsupportive, but that's what I'm feeling here.

I don't know if you are being treated for your depression, but I think you should be. And I think that you totally deserve to be loved and will probably really enjoy it if/when you get to a space where you can or can accept it from other people.

My 2c worth,

Todd

3. Nikky DoUrden

In order to have a 'decent life' you need to be able to look at yourself and your life, and be satisfied with what you see, which is how I think 'happiness' is defined ^_^
    That can be different thing for different people, and in my honest opinion, only you can say what makes you happy and not other people!

And to speak on myself, I never felt really that I was being loved, and I don't have many long-time good friends, so those are the things I try to achieve, at least at the social department, that will make me happy :slight_smile:

4. Colours

I do need love around in some form. I can't be happy if there is no one around that loves me, but that doesn't mean romantically per se. I'd say I'm happy right now because I'm blesssed with close friends who know me in and out and love me. I do feel, however, that I won't feel truly complete until I found 'the one'. However cliche that might sound.

5. thekillingmoon

I've been alone all my life and it made me realize how life's not worth living without love. Sure you could have hobbies or even a job you like, but if at the end of the day you have no one to come home to, what's the point? I believe many people take love for granted and don't realize how lucky they are.

6. Foxface

I enjoy being loved but I have said since day 1 that if my partner died, I would be done dating probably forever and spend my time alone. I would be devastated she was gone but would live my life.

Foxface

7. sanguine

this pretty much

Love is important.

But typical tragedies happen because people seek others hoping they can 'fix' them, when in reality, true happiness comes from the self and they should have been fixing themselves.

8. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Love of friends and family, yes.
    Love from a partner, not really.

9. leer

am sure he loves the bones of you he`s stood by you when you are down hasn't he.as for me I do need to be loved by my boyfriend not just in a sexual way people love one another for lots of different reasons .

#9 leer, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014