1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iraq veteran discharged for acknowledging he's gay

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by s5m1, Jun 27, 2008.

1. s5m1

Here is a story from today's newspaper. Hard to believe this still goes on in 2008.

By SUZANNE GAMBOA

Associated Press Writer

1:28 PM EDT, June 27, 2008

WASHINGTON

The Army has discharged a decorated medic who was deployed to Iraq despite acknowledging he was gay.

Darren Manzella, 30, said he revealed his sexual orientation to his military supervisor in August 2006, and was redeployed to Iraq anyway. He has since spoken out publicly several times about being a gay service member.

Manzella was discharged this month for "homosexual admission." His commander's discharge recommendation included a transcript of an interview he gave to television show "60 Minutes" in December 2007, in which Manzella said he is gay.

He did the same in a number of other interviews and even at a Washington news conference. The military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy prohibits active-duty service members from openly acknowledging they are gay or lesbian.

The discharge was effective June 10, a spokesman for the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network said in a news release. Manzella was traveling and not immediately available for comment.

The Army press office declined comment by phone Friday, but requested an e-mail query, which was submitted and awaiting response.

Manzella first told a military supervisor about his sexual orientation in August 2006 while he was stationed at Fort Hood, Texas, and working in division headquarters. Three weeks after Manzella made the revelation, his battalion commander told him an investigation had been closed without finding "proof of homosexuality."

A month later, Manzella was redeployed to Iraq. Manzella and his supporters have said his case demonstrates how the military has been arbitrarily enforcing its "don't ask, don't tell" policy during the war.

Manzella enlisted in the Army in 2002. In Iraq, he provided medical care to other soldiers and accompanied his unit on patrols. He was awarded the Combat Medical Badge.

Manzella's last assignment was to Fort Hood with the 1st Cavalry Division.

___

On the Net: Servicemembers Legal Network: http://www.sldn.orgU.S. Army: http://www.army.mil

2. dancingqueen79

Out Status:
    Some people
    awful...just awful

3. EM68

Unfortunately This is happening all of the time. I was reading a couple of months ago that service men and woman are still being discharged for being gay at an alarming rate. In the article a number of people that are being discharged are linguistics who spoke Arabic which right now is so important.

4. LOVEjames

The thing that I don't understand in regards to the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy is why homosexuals weren't allowed in the military in the first place. I mean, I'm grateful to Clinton for instating it, but it would have been better to just get rid of the ban altogether.

5. Alexander

duuuude. DADT is the worst policy EVER. It was meant to PROTECT gay and lesbian service members, not make them a target!

6. lcr guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank Bill Clinton for that then.

Anyone who wears a uniform should be respected and honored in our society. And how would sexual orientation ever be a factor. Once they let women in the military (or since they've had female nurses forever)....how are gay people any different?

7. SamAlex728

...*thinks*...
    Reminds me of Chris Crocker...
    [youtube]wYBI_0qGwXg[/youtube]

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

A medal for killing men and a discharge for loving a man...

9. -Michael-

Chris Crocker should be knighted...

I dont get article.
    I though gays were allowed in the US military since '02...

Am i missing something?

10. TriBi

Possibly the most stupid thing is that (especially with women officers) the whole "gay" serviceperson thing has been a fact of life for decades.

Who do they think they are kidding?...