1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The semester hasn't even started yet, and I have homework

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by phoenix89, Jan 10, 2014.

1. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am about to go into my fourth semester of graduate school on Sunday and I got an email last night from my Professor, about all of the homework that is due, BEFORE the semester starts.:eek: I have a feeling this going to be a long semester. It doesn't help matters that all of my courses are accelerated courses, which means instead of them being 15 weeks longs, they are 10, and 2 of them are online. I struggle with online classes. I have 2 courses starting now, 1 online and 1 face to face, the other online one is starting in February. Nine credits of accelerated graduate work, oh boy. Nine credits might not seem like a lot but to get an understanding of the work load. You take the graduate credits and double them, to get the equivalency of an undergrad workload. Nine graduate credits is equivalent to 17/18 undergraduate (bachelors or associates course) credits.

Wish me luck everyone, and if you do not see me very often, it will because I will be neck deep in readings for the next 15 weeks.:help:

2. Nikky DoUrden

Good luck!
    And dont forget - google is a blessing :wink:

3. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm currently an Undergrad in Architecture. The work load is insane. However, gonna keep pushing for the final 5 months, then I'm freeeee!

Good luck with your studies though, sounds like you've a busy time ahead :grin:

4. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Google, wikipedia , and databases have saved me.

Architecture majors are intense. I feel so bad for my friends who architecture, visual communication design and fashion design (my school has one of the top fashion design programs in the country, outside of New York and LA). I do not know how they get any sleep, if they get any at all.

5. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ugh, yes.

I'm a poli sci/communication major with a PR specialization, but I had to take a graphic design class and it absolutely sucked.

Anyway, to the OP: good luck! I can somewhat relate; I am taking a political science class right now for J-term (three week long term), and the workload is just ridiculous. Not to mention the class meets five days a week for three hours.

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I has homework already assigned; it's due next friday but the principle still stands.

7. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Bummer dude. :frowning2:

8. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've taken two Jterms before. The first was Study of Coen Brothers films, this was also an extension of my Freshmen Seminar. Each Freshmen sem, had a theme, mine was the study of films, especially Coming of Age and Horror. It was not as easy as it sounds, watching movies for homework seems nice, but critiquing and being quizzed on them, sorta takes the joy out it, especially watching doing that for 10 or so in a three week period, on top of standard freshmen seminar stuff. The other JTerm I took was Introduction to Religion, a study of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. That was an intense course, but I got a B in both.

#8 phoenix89, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  9. WallWeed

Oh man, I feel ya!

I'm in my junior year as an undergrad, and I've got 20 credit hours this semester. Which, I suppose shouldn't be that bad, but as a music major, pretty much every course we take only counts as one or two credits (so we can fit everything we need in a semester without it taking us ten years to graduate, but each music class often takes more time and effort than a normal three hour gen-ed course). So... that basically means that I typically have 12-14 classes a semester (regular classes + lessons + studio classes + ensembles), and the workload is absolutely ridiculous. >_<

But that's not including the time it takes to practice three different instruments everyday, to obtain our mandatory concert attendance credits, plus our weekly chapel credits (many of which we perform in), plus the time it takes to participate and perform in other student's recitals, as well as our own mandatory solo recitals, and the rehearsals and concerts for our ensemble credits. Then to add to it, I'm a composition major, so I have to find time in the midst of all that to get my creative juices flowing to get a good piece together for juries at the end of every semester. Oh, yeah, then there's normal homework.

Plus I'm working 15-20 hours a week on top of that.

I swear if I went to go get blood work done, they'd find pure liquefied caffeine. It's a rare but glorious night when I can get a full five hours of sleep, but I usually settle for 3-4.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *goes and takes a peak at school email*
    Looks like I'm out of the woods this time.. I usually have some readings that are due the first day though..

That really sucks though. The good thing is that some of your courses will be ending earlier in the semester, so that is a good thing. It's not going to be insane the whole semester.

11. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not being dramatic when I say I can't remember when I last slept (I've been awake for around 40 hours now...). My life is consumed with architecture. When, I sleep I dream about it. No escapeeeee.

12. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea, as long it is not like last semester. I think I will lose it if it is. After March, I will only have one class.:eusa_danc You are going to laugh at how many readings I have assigned. Oh by the way, I started drink Mountain Dew I can handle about two cans a day now. That is kinda scary

Oh I believe you, there is no sleep for an architect major.

13. Twizzler

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Molecular Bio major. First class was an 8am anatomy wet lab with no introduction. Walked out confused and smelling of formaldehyde and fish. I tell ya, the coffee shop folks gave me the weirdest looks when I picked up my afternoon coffee!

Isn't it fun when your prof drops a surprise in your lap before you mentally even back from holiday break?