1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parental Environments on LGBT Culture

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Darren18, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

okay, this is kind of debate question, what is your position about a child being raised by a gay couple, or lesbian couple? i mean formal couples that adopt a kid for their own, i myself tho on asking this question since i saw many ppl posting about wanting or seeking to be parents, and many times i heard a similar thing like this on the next example, one time i was with ppl i used to hang around for beers years ago on the streets, former friends lets say, this people had nothing on common with me except that we were all rock metal lovers, the theme on gays and lesbians came up among talks, this guys were from a defined line of think, specificly on the bunch there were racists, (hated black ppl) gay haters, skinheads, and simply other dickwats lol, well they most all of them agreed on that lgbt ppl raising a child was a bad thing, i even said myself i had no issues with it, that if they wanted a kid they will prolly take good care of him/her, and after they reach to a understanding like yea okay they would of course, but what about that kid, that is going to grow up in school everyone is going to make fun of that girl/boy for having two male parents or two female ones, they offered the main issue was the problems that that will create for the child on its school like raising environment, so curious to hear the opinion of actual lgbt people for a change of perspective

2. bitheway7

I could not care less about the sexual orientation of parents when it comes to determining if they're a good parent.

3. Hiems

I understand where your friends are coming from, but I think there are some reasons why LGBT parents should be able to raise kids.

They actually want to raise kids. Going through the adoption process seems tedious and long. Yet they still do all the paperwork so that they can adopt and raise a child.

On the other hand, many straight couples don't actually plan on having children, which can lead to problems down the road, especially if they don't have sufficient income. My parents have suffered with this problem in the past, as they've had to raise me and five siblings. And I've seen peers at my high school who were in similar shoes with regard to financial stability (with less kids of course).

If a couple - regardless of its gender composition - desires to adopt children and has the appropriate economic means to do so, then why not let them? Arguably, having the income to provide necessities for the child would supersede bullying by virtue of having parents of the same gender. The latter is something that can be remedied more easily.

A lot of organizations also support full adoption rights and marriage equality, among them the American Academy of Pediatrics. By having equal opportunity to adopt and access to federal benefits, parents of the same gender pull kids out of foster care. Ultimately, they have the tools to give them a better life.

4. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    People get bullied for just existing in the first place, so it wouldn't matter either way. LGBT people can make great parents, just like heterosexual people can make great parents. Sexuality or gender of the parents is irrelevant for the most part. One thing that is with LGBT parents though, is that they are more likely to raise a kid to respect other people's differences, beliefs, etc. There are many heterosexual parents who raise a child without the help from another parent, and that child (based on the parenting of that one parent) can grow up just like everyone else. And you didn't mention it, but just because a kids parents are LGBT, does not mean that the kid will end up being LGBT either. That's just not the way it works. The only difference between LGBT people and heterosexual people, are which gender they are attracted to. It has nothing to do with parenting, so if someone says that LGBT people would make bad parents, then the people who say that are just ignorant and homophobic. Sexuality is irrelevant when it comes to parenting. The main thing is that a child is raised by loving parents or a loving parent. That has always been the only thing that matters, but unfortunately, there are ignorant people, (and im not referring to you), who don't understand such simple things. I hope this answered your question.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I always wondered about this but with kids one thing i know for sure and having been one myself you love your parents no matter what and want them to love you . I think a kid wouldn't really care if they had two moms or two dads they would just want to know that their parents loved them , yes they would probably hate being made fun of for having two dads or two moms but I think this spite that they will still love their parents .

6. AlamoCity

Playing Devil's advocate and assuming gay couples were less stable and good for adopted children, my question is: Would you rather have children raised in a subpar, but secure environment, or would you rather they be raised in a foster care/institutional system with high rates of abuse, neglect, propense to not reach higher levels of education and live lives in poverty and crime?

That said, as Hiems mentioned, becoming parents through adoption is a tedious process. If anyone wants some insight on how it was in California for a gay married couple, you should see the videos on adoption posted by DepFox / GayFamilyValues on YouTube. It was extensive and intrusive. Anyone willing to go through that is probably better parents than most who, by virtue of their anatomy, can produce life without so much afterthought and not a single shred of government intrusion.

On bullying, I can only say that it's more of a sign of our cultural issues. If the gov't think it shouldn't allow LGBT to become parents because the children will be bullied, then the government should consider taking away the kids of the poor, the indigent, the disabled, the minorities, the uncool parents, the hippie parents, the one's with only one parent, the ones raised by relatives, and anyone who the "majority" of kids will find "weird" and, unfortunately, worthy of their ridicule.

#6 AlamoCity, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All of the credible evidence shows that there no measurable deficit or negative attribute patterns found in children raised by gay or lesbian parents. In addition, a number of studies indicate that, taken as a whole, children raised in LGBT households are more likely to be well adjusted than a random sampling of their cohorts raised by hetero couples. The reason isn't clearly understood, but is likely because LGBT parents must make a conscious choice to have children, and often it involves a great deal of time and money and effort to do so, meaning that LGBT parents must really want children and are therefore more likely to be better parents than parents who may simply have ended up with a child because they failed to use birth control, or simply want kids to get more welfare money.

There's also little evidence that children of LGBT parents experience significantly more bullying than many other groups who are bullied for one reason or another; bullying was not a major factor in the social adjustment of any children raised by LGBT families in any of the studies I'm familar with.

8. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  9. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Actually, here is the thing, when someone have kids, they dont know what their kids are going to get bullied about, or ifmthey are not going to get bullied...but in the case of kids raised by gay couples, they have a good idea if what their kids are going probably going to be bullied about, so they can prepare themselves and their child, they have an advantage, as they know where is the attack probably will come from... In a war, if you know where the enemy is most likely to strike,(if they strike at all) that is a huuuuge advantage... Reinforce the vulnerable area..

So what i think is that is actually good , very very good if gay people adopt kids, as long as they are good parents...

Only is that i think this: before giving a child innadoption to a gay couple, the couple should go thought a mandatory training where they are instructed about what they have to be prepared for, and how can they get prepared, measures etc, and after the training they should get examined to see what they have learned, repeat the process until the couple pass the test...actually, thinkng of it... Straight couples should be given a training too...

10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Studies show that gay and lesbian parents have just as happy, if not happier children than those of straight couples. I think if two people(or even one person) in a stable, loving environment want to adopt a kid, I don't think I should stop them from being happy.

11. DMark69

clockworkfox: I came to mention him. Everyone shoud read his book "My Two Moms" as well.

12. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

Chip, would you happen to have any links to summaries or abstracts of any of this research? I am very interested to read more about it.

13. Lipstick Leuger

Hey, my kids have come out fine. They didn't get picked on any more than other kids and not about having two mothers either, when they did. People say this in an effort to make gay people ashamed of having kids. Like 'how could you????' like we are torturing a child and being unfair to them by loving, wanting, and planning them!

14. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

I repeated what ppl said on that meeting, that is what most of the ppl i heard seemed to agree on, i personally also think is okay for them to adopt and know that if a lgbt couple plans and raise a child they surely want to take good care of him

15. Fire2free

Fire2free Guest

I believe that a child's personality is a result of the parenting and that it doesn't matter who the parents are as long as the child becomes a good person.

16. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dammit, government!
    Adoption is an institution that should be simple.
    People ask for a kid -> Quick background check -> People pick a kid -> DONE.
    That's all it needs to be.
    LGBT or not, they should try to instill intelligence, politeness, and self-reliance into their kid.
    If they can do that, they pass the test. (Unless they're abusive assholes.)
    Bullying? That will go away in time as people learn more about LGBT issues.