1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Furious Rant (Sorry In Advance)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by itsonlyrelative, Jan 11, 2014.

1. itsonlyrelative

My part of my family was at dinner today when my step father decided to introduce a controversial question to the table conversation.

He asked: "Do you think that a homosexual 'alternative living style couple' that adopts a child is more likely to find out that their child adopts a 'homosexual alternative living style' later in life?" (Even the way he phased the question infuriated me :tantrum:, like he was mocking same-sex couples)

My stepbrother responded with: "Oh of course, if you are surrounded with gay parents and that kind of atmosphere you are more likely to become gay" :eusa_doh:

I was ready to bash my head in the table :bang:, planning on never coming out of the closet, moving far far away, and losing contact with these people

Then my stepsister added her input which was: "No that's crazy, some of it has to do with genetics."

Some hope was regained

Stepfather: "Yeah what ever. You're basically signing these poor kids up for a life of homosexuality when you send them into the arms of these LG couples"

At this point I debated how mad my mom would be if I punched my stepfather, but I remembered I had to keep my temper in check. I wasn't about to stay silent though.

Me: "First of all, it is LGBT. Homosexual couples are in most cases fabulous parents, mainly because they have worked so hard for the chance to be parents. Children don't care whether they have two dads or two moms, they just want someone to be there for them. They don't live an 'alternative life style', its just not your life style. You don't just turn homosexual, just like you don't turn straight. You just are, the only difference between homosexual people and straight people is that there are more straight people, so homosexual people have the horrible disadvantage of having to 'come out' as homosexual to people at whatever age they discover it."

And of course my frustrated tone and the long rant effectively ended the conversation....nobody talked to me until the end of dinner.

At least I shamed all of them.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always say confronting people to make them question their own prejudices is what changes minds. Excellent job.:thumbsup:

3. itsonlyrelative

Thanks, had to bite my tongue not to keep going off on them cause I didn't want to out myself in a fit of anger

4. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

That must been awkward for you sorry, and bet then it was awkward for them to why they stopped the talk, question, you havent told them bout you cause u think they will start debating on you like that? Cause seems in any case u got the attitude to make them scared if infuriated xD

5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can just about imagine how angry you felt. Your response was fantastic!! I always point out the fact that gay couples have to plan and prepare to be parents and really want it unlike straight people who often don't plan and aren't ready for the huge responsibility and cost. My first thought at his comment was that most every gay person was raised by straight parent(s) and that didn't make them turn out straight. I'm sorry you were subjected to that ignorance, but I'm really proud that you stood up for us. :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

6. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You had a rather nice response. You know. Maybe they learned something and will be better people now.

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anything else happen?

8. unavailable

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How many straight couples have raised a gay/bi child while showing them a straight lifestyle? How you are raised doesn't decide your orientation .... Don't straight couples make kids that grow up and realize they're gay? Weird .......

9. itsonlyrelative

I haven't told my family yet cause I just put them through a really bad year and I don't want to throw one more thing at them right before I head off to college. I also haven't come out to any of my friends yet because I don't really know how to have that conversation yet. I have plenty of the attitude keep my family's ignorance check, but I don't know about everyone else's.

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2014 at 10:10 PM ----------

Thanks (*hug*)

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2014 at 10:11 PM ----------

Hopefully, I was really proud that none of the ignorant comments where coming from my biological brothers who I have been kinda training and educating to be more accepting. That made me very happy.

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2014 at 10:14 PM ----------

I made a comment to my mom when we got home about how "homophobic" (I don't really believe that its a phobia, but that's another argument) my stepfather's comments had been and she said that she would talk to him because "it was quite embarrassing to hear him speak that ignorantly".

10. Cass

I wish I had the stones to say that when my step dad says things like that.
    I love my step dad so much, except that hes so damn homophobic.
    the number one reason why i haven't told my parents.

11. Strathclyder

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hopefully, that rant will be a wake-up call to your step-father. Good job you didn't out yourself in the midst of it all. I certainly would have.

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good job! Homophobes basically speak from a position of ignorance, and ignorance pales in comparison to the truth.

13. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

14. animequeen567

That took guts! Damn! I wouldn't have the courage to do that! I'm so proud of you!

15. itsonlyrelative

My anxiety, had me panicking for a bit that maybe my parents would analyze my defensiveness about the subject and figure it out...but luckily they remained pretty clueless about it.

---------- Post added 12th Jan 2014 at 11:01 AM ----------

Aww thank you!