1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you fix?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Foxface, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Foxface

If you could fix somehting about your personality, mental or emotional self (not physical) what would it be?

For me it would be my awful lack of boldness

Whenever I have an opinion that I am 100% sure I support, I start to worry that others will hate me for it. That's not a fun way to live to always doubt yourself.

It's weird, when I am with a patient or a client in therapy I am bold. I state what I state unapologetically (though with great empathy and compassion)

But outside of that I am always wanting to apologize for having my opinion...how sickly is that?

Ugh

what about you fine folks?

Foxface

2. Emulator

I doubt my opinion too.

I would fix my social anxiety. I just have a tendency to avoid social situations all the time. (In fact, I lurk on forums most of the time, this one is one of the few I regularly post in :grin: ) When I really have to talk to someone, I'm awkward, the words don't come out, and I laugh at the wrong times which seems to put them off. So...yeah, I would fix that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#2 Emulator, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  3. Bibliophile

I would have to fix my terrible habit of jumping from grand idea to grand idea without finishing each project. I tend to have a brain that leaps from idea to idea that while sound I have a terrible inability to focus on a project for lengthy periods of time.

4. Sal

Sal Guest

My shyness.

It's held me back so much and is starting to affect my grades. I'm really struggling in some of my classes but I'm terrified of talking to my teachers and I'm to shy to ask for help from my fellow classmates.

People are always speaking for me. My mother's voice overpowers my own and I just sit by submissively as she does things for me that I should be doing for my self. I'll have good ideas in class but won't share them. Sometimes I'll write them down and my friends will share them instead. She gets the credit and I just hide behind my desk.

I've had straight F's in my language class all year because I refuse to speak and we get graded on our speaking. My teachers think I'm some kind of defiant trouble maker when I'm just a painfully shy kid.

I don't have a job because I wouldn't be able to handle an interview or working with strangers. My mother thinks I'm lazy for not working during the summers.

So yeah, if I could change anything I'd get rid of my stupid shyness. I'd be more courageous and outspoken. For once I'd like to be heard and recognized as having something meaningful to contribute and not overlooked because I'm to scared to raise my voice.

#4 Sal, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My social anxiety i love to go out but when i do i get so nervous and sometimes i talk myself out of it if i didn't have it i would be an out going person another thing i would fix is my fear of being abandoned and that i was more cautious with people

6. C P

C P

I at times wish I were a little less empathetic(though a lot would see it in a more positive light).

It makes me happy to see others happy and hurts to see others in a state of being down, upset, etc. I may not be the best at getting exactly what I want to say out occasionally, but I like to at least attempt to talk to them to help if I can, sometimes over a period of time if I can help it.

It's to the point where it even occurs where I don't want it to be/feel it shouldn't be at the time. As an example, if I get into an argument/disagreement with someone, if it leads to them getting upset(crying, etc., so more a saddened state usually), I feel terrible(specifically knowing I caused it). I'm talking about even if they happen to be in the wrong...

It's pretty ironic in a way, considering I generally do not like talking about my problems and am pretty sad on the inside about various things.

#6 C P, Jan 12, 2014
  7. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would try to make myself a less of a socially awkward loser. Kinda broad I know but whatever.

8. Hexagon

Well, I have this terrible self doubt. Also, my lack of motivation, and my inability to finish anything.

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My self-confidence and shyness. If I could nail those I could do lots of things...I could have a boyfriend!

10. 70th City

My laziness and poor time management. On many occasions, I put entertainment before studying and I promise myself I'll leave enough time to get to work. But I never succeed.

I also have this concern that the things I say aren't sensible or intelligent. I worry about coming off as naive sometimes.

11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'm just a terribly lazy and demotivated person and I would fix that myself..... if it werent so much work

12. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would make myself not be as much of a procrastinator for one thing. But I think the thing I would want to change the most is being able to hold back more. Cause most of the time I can bring myself to just leave the problem and be done with it, I always have to have somthing else to say...pretty much a need a mind filter.

13. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Are we only allowed one? I'd go for my self-doubt, procrastination/motivation, my inability to stick with projects and (slight) social awkwardness. I'd like to be able to care less about how others see me as well.

14. purplekitty

My procrastination is infuriating. I usually leave school projects and homework 'til the last possible moment in favor of more fun things. Every time I finish a major project, I tell myself, "Well purplekitty, you've learned your lesson now. Next time you should START EARLIER!!" I've yet to actually succeed in not procrastinating.

15. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was going to say the same thing about myself, the mind filter part. Part of my problem is not letting something drop, but what bothers me more is content. I've made posts on here, some with sexual details responding to someones question, that I was I could take back. There was no intent to titilate, I was just trying to give enough detail for perspective to answer the question. I guess I have little or no embarrassment when it comes to discussion of sexual matters, at least online.

I'm not stupid enough to be so open in face to face discussions, particulary with co workers, because I work for a company that is owned by a group of right wing homephobes, and ENDA hasn't passed yet. They even said in a employee meeting that they have monitered some employees facebook pages, and warned people that they could face disciplinary action because what employees say or do in their personal lives might reflect badly on the companies image and the moral values of the owners. On E.C. they'd have a harder time tying this to me personally. If one of my close friends were on here, they would probably know instantly who I really am though.

16. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My self-confidence is largely nonexistent. I'd like to change that.

17. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

My strong moral streak. Horrible nuisance.

18. Bolin

I'd fix my self-confidence and my depression, definitely. Something tells me that I probably wasn't supposed to be introverted since it feels so unnatural to me, so I'd probably "fix" my introversion so I'd be an extrovert instead.

19. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Social anxiety and indecisiveness.

At first I thought an "on-off" switch would be needed, since it would drastically change my personality....but then, I bet with that I'd eventually just leave it "on" all the time, so..

20. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My dysfunctional and almost non-existent work ethic.
    I have ideas by the bushel and I never get to them because I don't have discipline.
    Procrastination is a big problem lately- maybe schools should start teaching how to be productive.
    I think my laziness is by far the worst of my problems.
    I'd also like to deal with people messing with my plans better. When I get angry, I do not shut up. I end up making things worse.

#20 An Gentleman, Jan 12, 2014