1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"All is Love" Short story

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by willycubed28, Jan 12, 2014.

1. willycubed28

Hey guys, I wrote this two page short story last night. The story came to me, and I would like your opinion on it. If I get enough people who like it, I am thinking about extending the story a lot more. The story is called "All is Love". The main character Michael Fuller tells his story in a powerful way, and how he overcame his fears through tragedy. Here is the story.

All is Love
    It is a cold winter’s night in Chicago. It always began to get very cold in the middle of December. I have always hated the cold since I could remember, but I am also used to it because I am from here, and have lived here for the past twenty four years. I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Michael, Michael Fuller. You might be wondering why I am writing about myself. The truth is I cannot sleep, and when I cannot sleep I tend to write. I love writing, and even has a kid I would write stories in class and then bring them home for my mother to read and she would be so proud of me. She would always hang them up on the refrigerator and then embarrass me when she had friends over. She loved to embarrass me but what mother doesn’t like to embarrass her kid? I was her only child and my father was killed in a car accident three years after I was born. I do not even remember my father all that well. I just remember bits and pieces but nothing substantial. My mother never remarried after she lost my father, and she spent her entire time taking care of me, and for that I owe her everything. She would always support me in whatever I wanted to do. I was never into sports. I was more of a theatre nerd, and loved it. My high school was big into arts, and we had a major theatre department. When I joined the theatre department I didn’t feel like an outcast. I felt like I belonged, and everyone was so friendly. We understood each other because we were all considered outcasts.

I joined in my freshmen year of high school. I had always known that I wanted to be an actor, and my mother always pushed me to be the best at whatever I wanted to do. The day I joined the theatre I rushed home to tell my mother, and she couldn’t have been more proud of me. She hugged me, and some tears fell down her face. I looked to her, and wiped her tears away and asked her why she was crying. She said to me “Your father would be so proud of you. You are going after your dreams. You are just like your father. He had a dream and he went after it and achieved it. I am crying because I wish he could see what a upstanding young man you have turned out to be.” She said with a smile. I cried a few tears myself and smiled back to her. “I know he would be proud of me, mom.” I said as I gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. “I need to go get ready for an audition that is in three days” I said as I picked up my book bag and looked to her. She was still smiling. “Okay hon. Dinner will be ready in about two hours. I will call you down when it is ready though.” She said as she waved me off. I ran up the stairs and set my book bag down, and pulled out the script that I needed to learn in three days. The play that I wanted to do was called “All is Love”. It was a well written play. It was about accepting people for who they are, and loving them no matter what. I identified with this play, because I wanted to be accepted for who I was. I had no confusion on who I was at the age of 13. I knew that I was gay. No one knew though, not even my mother.

A few hours passed, and I hadn’t heard from my mother. My eyes were tired because I had been studying the script, and I hadn’t put it down. I set it down, and then ran down the stairs. I walked to the kitchen, and noticed my mother’s lifeless body lying on the ground. I checked for a pulse and there wasn’t one. I panicked. I called 911 and I couldn’t stay calm. “My mother isn’t breathing. She isn’t breathing.” I yelled. I then blacked out, and I do not remember the rest of the night. I remember waking up on a couch in the hospital the next morning. A nurse came and woke me up. “Are you Mr. Fuller?” she asked. I wiped my eyes, and nodded to her. “I have some good news, and I have some bad news. The good news is your mother is awake, and she is breathing. The bad news is that she doesn’t have much time. I know this is a lot to take in, but she has stage 4 breast cancer. The doctor is saying that she may only have a week left.” She said. I looked to her and just kept nodding. I couldn’t believe this was happening. My mother was dying. I was going to be an orphan. I hung my head low for a few moments until I heard her ask me a question. “Would you like to see your mother?” she asked. I shook my head yes and followed her to my mother’s room. Seeing her hooked up to those machines made my skin crawl. “I will leave you two alone” the nurse said as she walked out.

I looked to my mother, and walked over to the chair that was by her bed. I sat down and took my mother’s hand. My mother looked at me. I looked back at her. Tears were forming in my eyes. “Michael before it is too late I want you to know how much I love you. I need you to know that” she said as I began to respond but she shushed me. “Please let me finish. I need to say this. I need you to know. I want you to know that you can be anything that you put your mind too. You have your father’s ambition and drive. I know that whatever you decide to do that you will succeed. Whoever you decide to love in the future I just want you to be happy. Be happy Michael.” She said as she remained looking at me. I then looked down again and now the tears were really coming out. I looked to her once more. “Mom, I also need you to know something. I want you to know. I am gay. I have known since I could remember. Please do not be angry with me. Please don’t be ashamed of me.” I said as my grip on her hand tightened. She smiled with tears coming down her face. “My boy I could never be ashamed of you. I love you for who you are. I just want you to be happy.” She said as those were her final words. Her vital signs began going down, and her heart rate began dropping. I ran outside of the room to get a nurse. “Help! My mother needs help!” I screamed as a few nurses came into the room to try and revive my mother, but it was too late. She was gone. My mother was gone. Her final words to me struck me like a cord. She wanted me to be happy, and she didn’t care if I was gay. I walked out of the room. A nurse walked up to me, and patted my shoulder “Is there anyone you want me to call. Maybe your father?” she asked. I looked to her. “No ma’am.” I said as I looked through the window. “I am an orphan”

2. willycubed28

Anyone who has read it, let me know what you think. Any kind of opinion would be great. Thank you.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's certainly emotionally charged. o.0 You were able to pack a lot of feelings into a few words, which is a rare skill.

I can sort of give you a break on this next part because it's first-person narration, but it is also rather direct. Saying "she couldn't have been more proud of me" is not as good IMO as describing the mother's actions and letting the reader infer that she was proud. But once again, I take it the story was meant to be brief, leaving little time for tom-foolery like that hehe.

There's also the question of the father: Is it really necessary for him to be dead too? If he had simply left when the narrator was 3 instead of died, it would give the kid another goal after coming out to his mother-- finding his dad while now armed with the confidence his mom gave him in her dying breaths.

^^That reminds me: Was he supposed to be comfortable in his gayness the entire time/okay with coming out to people? If so, honestly the story seems sort of stagnant. There's no real adversity or conflict, just some sweet moments before the tragic news. His mother's death should be the turning point which changes him profoundly, causing him to make different choices than he would if she were still alive.

I'm not saying it's bad, but it could be much more dynamic. Your character should learn something. :wink:

#3 Argentwing, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  4. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Oh, this story is very touching.

About grammar and style language, I love both so much! They are very simple and intelligible but at the same time written with heart and with a certain depth.

About the story:

- prefering Michael's dad wasn't dead but (for example) was gone away.
    - you repeat lots of times Michael's mom is proud of him.
    - when Michael's talking about his life, deepen the discovery about being gay, his fears, his doubts, talk about what Michael thinks about being gay, if he accepts himself or not, if it was simple or not and his thoughts and meditations about sexuality and unconditional love (so you can connect the concept of true love with the same love who Michael's mom feel towards his son.
    - prefering a different conclusion. If you finish with Michael's saying he is an orphan, the attention of the readers is focused on dead of his parents and not on the unconditional love.

Your writing is very good! I like it very much :slight_smile:

#4 FireSmoke, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2014
  5. musicrebel

Wonderful story. You have a way with words and not many people are able to put an emotional touch onto something that is emotional.

6. willycubed28

The reason I had the father dead is because their are so many stories where the father left, and I wanted to switch it up. I think you see that Michael isn't totally comfortable being himself. No one knows that he is gay except for his mother. If I make this into a story I might change some things up, but you have to give me credit for a two page story. I told a story within two pages, and I came up with this within literally 20 minutes. Meaning it took me 20 minutes to write it. By the way he did learn something. He learned that no matter what is mother loved him unconditionally

#6 willycubed28, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  7. anonomous

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    this is good. you should post it on quotev, its the kind of thing youd find on there and then everybody can read it, if thats what you want. but i think that its great, but she shouldnt have died so early, the reader needs to get to know the mum so that they can feel more sadness when she dies.

8. willycubed28

If I write this into a longer story the mother will be more featured. This was only a short story..I only intended to write two pages for this to try it out